The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

DuaG0usUwAAo97V.jpg:large

Mikey is tending the twine for Usports Canada.  Likely to play the whole game.  Should be a good test against his peers and the best in Canada for the WJC.

Needs a strong rebound game after giving up 3 goals on 17 shots yesterday.  Ian Scott the Toronto Maple Leaf goaltending prospect has had a very strong camp up to now, definitely giving Mikey a run for his money for the starting job in 2 weeks 

• Upvote 1

Saw him play last night against usports in Victoria,exhibition wjc. 

man he looks small I can’t believe he’s listed a 6’. When he’s down there’s a lot of net, he moves really well and he’s very vocal. 

Reminds me or irbe. 

Edited by combover
  • Like 1

Canada’s junior hopefuls dropped a 5-1 decision to the U SPORTS all-stars Friday afternoon in the finale at Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp.

Despite the final score, Michael DiPietro (Amherstburg, Ont./Ottawa, OHL) – who tended goal for U SPORTS – was the story. He turned away 32 of the 33 shots he faced and made a number of key saves, including a massive sprawling stop in the second period to preserve the lead after Tippett had pulled Canada within one.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canada’s junior hopefuls dropped a 5-1 decision to the U SPORTS all-stars Friday afternoon in the finale at Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp.

Despite the final score, Michael DiPietro (Amherstburg, Ont./Ottawa, OHL) – who tended goal for U SPORTS – was the story. He turned away 32 of the 33 shots he faced and made a number of key saves, including a massive sprawling stop in the second period to preserve the lead after Tippett had pulled Canada within one.

I was there and he played well! One of the weirdest game I cheer as I will be cheering for the Canadian skaters but the Usport goalie this game haha.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, gameburn said:

Will be interesting to see if he adapts well to the goalie equipment changes that have started to show up now.  I hope they put goalies back in gear closer to the Pre-Roy era.  Smaller or at least more athletic goalies should have an advantage over lumps who rely on size/filling the net.  Wrap-arounds, shots from further out, deflections in-close, breakaways, all might be much more likely to go in.  And, if the pads are adjusted much, then even the classic Hasek/Quick strategy of always covering the entire bottom of the net might not even be enough.  

They want higher scoring games.  I suspect that changing goalie equipment and/or adjusting the net size is the easiest way to do this.  Not even 3 on 3 in OT or allowing for more powerplays or even many more penalty shots would do as much.   There was a reason that teams scored a lot more goals prior to Patrick Roy.   

My hypothesis is that the smaller the gear that goalies wear, the more they have to use judgment and athleticism.   Of course, taller probably always helps.

Patrick Roy won a Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1986 and played against Gretzky and Mario when they were putting up 200 points.  So not sure what you mean by Pre-Roy era.  Was there an era Pre-Roy where players were better than Gretzky and Mario??

I'm thinking that you are thinking of Martin Brodeur not Patrick Roy, which would make more sense as Brodeur played most of his career in the "dead puck era" where New Jersey perfected the trap and won 3 Cups.  Roy only played in that era after he was traded to Colorado, so he spent only around 50% of his career in his 30's in the dead puck era...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:47 AM, smokes said:

Hasek

Yes I agree.  I watched Hasek play and DiPietro reminds me of him with his athletic ability, genuine excitement for the game and of course his left hand glove.  DiPietro could be a beauty as long as he realizes he needs to be better athletically than the taller goalies as players will be looking to go top corner when he goes down or into butterfly.  

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Patrick Roy won a Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1986 and played against Gretzky and Mario when they were putting up 200 points.  So not sure what you mean by Pre-Roy era.  Was there an era Pre-Roy where players were better than Gretzky and Mario??

I'm thinking that you are thinking of Martin Brodeur not Patrick Roy, which would make more sense as Brodeur played most of his career in the "dead puck era" where New Jersey perfected the trap and won 3 Cups.  Roy only played in that era after he was traded to Colorado, so he spent only around 50% of his career in his 30's in the dead puck era...

Not sure but i believe he is solely referring the the size of pads during the 80's and how dramatically they increased. Despite new rules they are still huge in comparison. 

Billy Smith.jpg

mike liut.jpg