The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This is the second or third time I’ve hear Benning say something like this in recent months. 

I like that he’s not willing to part with high picks. But don’t really like the bolded part. It really shouldn’t matter where the draft is being held. This team is not in a position to be moving picks, unless it’s to improve draft position, or to acquire a young, core piece. Otherwise, we need to keep all our picks, and add more wherever possible.

I’m thinking somebody needs to convince JB that Vancouver is hosting the next 5 drafts. Watch him get to work hoarding picks to please the hometown crowd. ;) 

I'm not particularly concerned. Seems something said in passing that really doesn't mean a lot.

My interpretation of the draft pick comments are that he is holding them a bit tighter than he normally would because the draft is local and not that he is absolutely unwilling to part with them for that reason.  I somehow doubt he would balk at McDavid for a 6th(or even a 5th if you can believe it !) because we are hosting the draft. The people saying " OMG he would have paid a 2nd if the draft was elsewhere" are morons.   My guess as to why they didn't pick up a goalie earlier was they didn't want to pay for a calibre of goalie that they may be able to claim for free any day now when Philadelphia decides to waive one. So they inquire about a higher calibre and the price is too high so they decide to sit tight for the time being.  Then injuries happen in relatively quick succession and well...what happened happened . 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 250Integra said:

I guess you don't remember what happened to Vegas last year when they had a barrage of injuries to their goalies? Dylan Ferguson from the CHL had to suit up and play.

Fair point. I was thinking more in terms of some of the starters in the NHL and when they ended up making their debuts. If we are projecting DiPietro to make the NHL one day then those should be the comparables. I can't think of a rougher welcome for any goalie.

With that said one game should not be determining factor for anyone on whether DiPietro makes it to the show. He has been exceptional for nearly his entire junior career. The size questions are legitimate but hardly an impossible hurdle to overcome. Goalie prospects are voodoo but we have a good one here. Still people should temper their expectations as we have seen with Schneider and Demko that there is still another developmental hurdle to clear.

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

This word, I don't think it means what you think it means.  

Did our prized goalie prospect not go into net wholly unprepared to face the onslaught of a top NHL team? This isn't the first time I think we have screwed with a prospects development. I honestly believe we hurt Virtanen and McCann's development by throwing them into the fire. That was also done because we didn't have any depth at the edges of our roster. I just want them to sign some AHL journeyman rather than play a top prospect. Too much to ask? 

On 2/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This is the second or third time I’ve hear Benning say something like this in recent months. 

I like that he’s not willing to part with high picks. But don’t really like the bolded part. It really shouldn’t matter where the draft is being held. This team is not in a position to be moving picks, unless it’s to improve draft position, or to acquire a young, core piece. Otherwise, we need to keep all our picks, and add more wherever possible.

I’m thinking somebody needs to convince JB that Vancouver is hosting the next 5 drafts. Watch him get to work hoarding picks to please the hometown crowd. ;) 

How about our 2020 1st, Eriksson, and Goldobin for a re-signed Stone?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I’d say that fits with second half of the bolded sentence. At 26, Stone is only 3 years older than Horvat, with plenty of prime years remaining to fit our timeline. 

Maybe he’s not a truly “young” player, since he’s already in his prime. But he’s certainly young enough, and would undoubtedly be a core addition. Stone is an elite player and, barring injury, he should have a lot of time left before he really starts to decline.

I don’t think that trade happens though, especially if there was an extension in place. I’d expect the ask would be much higher. But I’d be all over it at that price. Stone would be a dream addition for this team. He’s probably #1 on my wish list. Helluva player and I doubt you could find a better RW on the market to play with Horvat.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I would do this in a second. I don't know if that would get it done though...maybe.

That would be awesome and we would finally have a real top 6 player to play with Horvat.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's a beauty of a deal as it allows us to keep our picks for the draft this year in Vancouver, it takes $6 million off of our cap and it gets rid of a guy who won't be in our plans next year.  Who knows, with the extra cap space from trading Eriksson we could still go after another UFA, or trade for someone in his prime with a good long term deal in place who could play with BO and Stone (Huberdeau).

Edited by Elias Pettersson

18 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t think that trade happens though, especially if there was an extension in place. I’d expect the ask would be much higher. But I’d be all over it at that price. Stone would be a dream addition for this team. He’s probably #1 on my wish list. Helluva player and I doubt you could find a better RW on the market to play with Horvat.

Value-wise, I'd expect us to have to move something like a young dman as well in such a deal.  But disregarding value, I doubt it happens for one primary reason -- Ottawa would want a first this year, to recover what they lost for Duchene.  And giving up our first this year is a non-starter, so it will have to be another team that antes up. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That would be cool, but think about that really.  

You need to to pay for someone to take Eriksson.  And a good amount. That cost would almost be a 1st.   I don’t think a first to take LE is totally fair, but pretty close.  

It is basically Goldy plus a tiny bit for a resigned Stone.   

Not even close. 

This proposal is better without Eriksson. 

19 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Value-wise, I'd expect us to have to move something like a young dman as well in such a deal.  But disregarding value, I doubt it happens for one primary reason -- Ottawa would want a first this year, to recover what they lost for Duchene.  And giving up our first this year is a non-starter, so it will have to be another team that antes up. 

exactly what I was thinking.. in fact, even if OTT still had their 19 first, they're in desperate rebuild mode, no waiting.. someone will give them this year's first ++

not to mention our first pick this year should be higher than next year 's. 

I feel for Mikey that he had such a rough start but I think everybody is making too big of a deal over this. He wasn't called up because he earned it,. Mikey was up with the team based on default and everybody including himself knew he was in over his head. If anything this situation might even help him as he now knows how much work he has to put into succeed as pro.  I'll be the first to admit I wanted him to play a game on this call-up and I think others would say the same. I don't blame management or Mike for anything. Also failing miserably once is never going to ruin a career. I laugh at those people that think that. 

• Upvote 1

DiPietro picks up a 6-3 win in his return to OHL action. Saved 28/31, and really couldn’t be faulted for the 3 goals he gave up. One was nice cross ice sauce on the PP for a quick shot short side (and Mikey tracked it well and nearly made the save). Second was an odd man rush where Mikey made the first save but his teammates let him down cleaning up the rebound. And third GA came on a well executed two-on-one.

• Upvote 1