The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

MD showed me a lot more this  year than I expected and he has adjusted his style relying less upon pure athleticism and using his angles and rebound control much, much more.   He also seems to be allowing the play to come to him a lot more.   Further, he was clearly the MVP of his team's remarkable run as once he was down - wow, they imploded.   This speaks as much to the confidence they had in him on the ice but clearly the winning attitude he likely brought to the room and calming influence seeing him putting the pads on and knowing he was going to be first down the tunnel once they were all dressed.    I was not high on MD and am coming around on him.   Will be good to see him under Canuck coaching in Utica as that did wonders for Demko.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Michael DiPietro on Sportsnet 650:

"This was a really good year for myself. Was a true test of facing adversity. Got traded, made the JR team and lose the way we did. The long playoff push was going good and feeling good and my game was taking off but get sidetracked with a minor injury."

"The winning streak starts with confidence and gives a big boost. It felt like the puck was a beach-ball, fortunate to be on a great team. The run was something I can learn off of because you're playing same team and constantly learning off each other."

"Clarky was great after SJ game to break down the video. He showed me areas that work in JR that give me success but doesn't translate to pro-game. For areas I can improve on he's been helpful. Looking forward to a big summer & focusing on being a more pro-style goalie."

The bolded is key.   I certainly noticed a massive change with his style from last years once I started paying more attention to his game this year (largely late in JR season and playoff run).   Of all the FA signings Benning has made in his tenure, Ian Clark may be the least noticed but perhaps the most impactful.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The bolded is key.   I certainly noticed a massive change with his style from last years once I started paying more attention to his game this year (largely late in JR season and playoff run).   Of all the FA signings Benning has made in his tenure, Ian Clark may be the least noticed but perhaps the most impactful.

Yes, Clark was a great add to our coaching staff.  However, does Clark's success with the goalies (two of whom are very young) high-lite that we lack equally as good coaching at the Utica level for all our young guys?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yes, Clark was a great add to our coaching staff.  However, does Clark's success with the goalies (two of whom are very young) high-lite that we lack equally as good coaching at the Utica level for all our young guys?

I may be in the minority but think Canucks coaching in Utica is very strong.   Clark only makes it stronger.   Cull gets a rough ride but he is an excellent hockey man.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I may be in the minority but think Canucks coaching in Utica is very strong.   Clark only makes it stronger.   Cull gets a rough ride but he is an excellent hockey man.

Next two years will identify Cull as a guy who can develop young players, or just a good hockey man.  

• Cheers 1

On 5/13/2019 at 11:10 PM, RetroCanuck said:

haha this is crazy. Athleticism appears to be a far more likely trend as goalies need to move very fast side to side.

Casey DeSmith is 6'0 and has a .917 career save percentage, while Quick, Lundqvist and Howard (6'1) who are some of the best goalies in the game are just barely taller.

Seems silly to write off a kid before he even plays a professional game.

Unorthodox goalies have been found to dominate the league.  Dipeitro has a raw game, but battles and will have access to better coaches in the Pro's.  Vancouver has been a decent goalie factory for the past decade.  

All points to back up not writing off a un tested prospect.  I am always amazed at the certainty of those that predict negative outcomes for prospects on this board.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Three goalies have won the Conn Smythe in the post lockout era:

Cam Ward (2006): 6'1", 194 lb

Tim Thomas (2011): 5'11", 201 lb

Jonathan Quick (2012): 6'1", 216 lb

DiPietro: 6'0", 205 lb

As is the case with every position in hockey, heart + skill trump size.  I'll take Saros (5'11", 180 lb) over Nilsson (6'6", 232 lb) any day of the week.   

this ^^

PatrickRoy 6'0, 165 

Curtis Joseph 5'11

I honestly think that goalies should have a shoulder height measurement. Looking at Quick's shoulders and they are proud and square, taking a look at Runner's shoulders and they are sloped. For goalies this is huge as their posture needs "less maintenance" or they don't have to focus mental energy on keeping their shoulders tall.

Not having to focus on shoulders the goalie can focus better on the play/less mental fatigue

Micheal DiPietro has proud square shoulders by the way

On 5/13/2019 at 2:24 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Your posts are generally garbage, but even for you this post is disgusting. Arrogant, condescending, ignorant and stupid. On to the ignore list for you, "sunshine".

So you don't think a goalie needs to go through the development process to like.... develop?

And are you going to put me on ignore too for that? I get not liking someone's opinions, but you are literally being just as condescending in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock

On 5/13/2019 at 6:34 PM, fanfor42 said:

Dipietro plays small in the net.  He won't make the jump to the NHL as  a result. Nice kid but will not be an NHL goalie. 

I have played the position coached for a decade and have friends and family who have played bchl whl ushl NCAA and nhl. 

I can tell you. Dipietro will not make it all the way to be a regular in the NHL. When the shooters get better and nhl snipers are very good, there is simply too much room over his shoulders. Sorry to fans who are hoping for a better result.

I thought this way too.....up until this season.   I have seen him transform his style and now I think he has a legitimate shot.     If you have played/coached then what do you notice about his game now in compare to last year?   I see a lot of subtle items that are having substantive influence on his potential to transfer to the pro game at the highest level.   Interested to hear what you do and don't see in that regard.   Rare to get to discuss with another goalie who has played more than rec hockey on this forum.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

So you don't think a goalie needs to go through the development process to like.... develop?

And are you going to put me on ignore too for that? I get not liking someone's opinions, but you are literally being just as condescending in my opinion.

You might want to follow back a bit to see what the conversation is about. Or you could continue to talk crap. 

48 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

You might want to follow back a bit to see what the conversation is about. Or you could continue to talk crap. 

To you, everyone talks crap. At least that's what you come off as in my opinion. Whether that's what you want or not is your call.

Edited by The Lock

On 5/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, Fred65 said:

Your reading of my post is not what was intended. I just get a tad frustrated with fans suggesting the player is on his way to a Conn Smythe award before he's even played a game in the NHL. To me that's incredible

Be easy on him, he could be from Toronto and grew up a Leafs fan.   They are trained that way there.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To you, everyone talks crap. At least that's what you come off as in my opinion. Whether that's what you want or not is your call.

So you are too lazy to follow the conversation back to see what it was about, and are determined to stay ignorant and spout off about something you know nothing about. Suit yourself. Your opinion is obviously worthless.

4 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you are too lazy to follow the conversation back to see what it was about, and are determined to stay ignorant and spout off about something you know nothing about. Suit yourself. Your opinion is obviously worthless.

And comments like these are why I don't have to look back. You really don't think you're just as arrogant when you come up with comments like these?

"Subshine" vs "Your opinion is obviously worthless". Guess which sounds more arrogant. Not saying this to antagonize you or anything but you really need to read your own comments and look at how other people are going to read them.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

And comments like these are why you are just as arrogant as JamesB. I don't need to look back at the conversation when you come up with gems like these. lol

Hang on to your ignorance. I am sure that it will serve you well.

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Hang on to your ignorance. I am sure that it will serve you well.

If this is what you think ignorance is than you have a lot of growing up to do.

Anyway, back on subject (and sorry everyone else for derailing the thread). I really like DiPietro's poise and how he unwaivers. His reaction to the San Jose game has really impressed me. However, I think he'll need some time in the AHL before he wins these "awards" everyone seems to think he'll win.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If this is what you think ignorance is than you have a lot of growing up to do.

Anyway, back on subject (and sorry everyone else for derailing the thread). I really like DiPietro's poise and how he unwaivers. His reaction to the San Jose game has really impressed me. However, I think he'll need some time in the AHL before he wins these "awards" everyone seems to think he'll win.

Well, since you are too lazy to bother checking to see what you are talking about, here, I've done it for you. A poster was expressing sympathy for what DiPietro has been going through:

On May 13, 2019 at 12:16 AM, Qwags said:

If DiPietro grows stronger with every battle with adversity, I expect him to win several Vezinas and Conn Smythes with us.

Now no reasonable person would think that he actually believes Mikey is going to win several Vezinas and Conn Smythes. But your buddy responded with:

On May 13, 2019 at 11:53 AM, Fred65 said:

Sunshine first he comes to camp and then trys to make the Comets ( Bachman & Kielly) may have something to say about that. After that in a couple of years, he hopes to make the NHL. Please no more talk about Conn Smythe

Which was a pretty stupid and obnoxious response. At least in my opinion. Perhaps in your mind it was reasonable, which puts you in the same class as Fred. So you get your wish, you are now on ignore too.

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Well, since you are too lazy to bother checking to see what you are talking about, here, I've done it for you. A poster was expressing sympathy for what DiPietro has been going through:

Now no reasonable person would think that he actually believes Mikey is going to win several Vezinas and Conn Smythes. But your buddy responded with:

Which was a pretty stupid and obnoxious response. At least in my opinion. Perhaps in your mind it was reasonable, which puts you in the same class as Fred. So you get your wish, you are now on ignore too.

How is it obnoxious? Perhaps you can go into details about what actually makes you think it's obnoxious? If you want to lump me in the same category just because I disagree with you that's your call, but it doesn't change what I think.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree with this. I don't agree with your response to him as much as you don't agree with his response to the other guys. Perhaps even my response to you could be classed as arrogant too. There you go, we're all arrogant snobs. Yay.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1