The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Said on 1040 he is impatient and wants to play in the NHL as soon as possible. 

Me thinking he still has a long way to go.  

Very long ways. He's got some raw talent, but hes a bit smaller and still makes his own job harder than it has to be. Tim Thomas comes to mind. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Sad to hear :(

Once again, as all too often in recent years, our goaltending will (likely) let us down.  As the pressure heats up, I see these two (foolishly chosen ahead of our guy) melting.  Big mistake.  Most likely it was back room politics.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Once again, as all too often in recent years, our goaltending will (likely) let us down.  As the pressure heats up, I see these two (foolishly chosen ahead of our guy) melting.  Big mistake.  Most likely it was back room politics.  

Ducharme is a joke

• Upvote 1

I love DiPietro and I was really pulling for him. He’s such a passionate kid and you have to appreciate his competitive spirit and the way he battles. As well as the class and character he’s showing in response to what must be heartbreaking news.

But that all said, when I try to be truly objective, I can’t really argue with the reasoning behind cutting him in favour of Hart and Point.

I mean, all else being equal, you go with the older, more experienced goalie:

Carter Hart is 19

Colton Point is 19

Michael DiPietro is 18

All else being equal, you go with the taller goaltender:

Carter Hart is 6’2”

Colton Point is 6’4”

Michael DiPietro is 6’0”

All else being equal, you go with the goalie with the most impressive stats:

Carter Hart: 0.961 Sv% 1.32 GAA (WHL) 

Colton Point: 0.938 Sv% 1.90 GAA (NCAA)

Michael DiPietro: 0.917 Sv% 2.67 GAA (OHL)

None of the above are equal. DiPietro is the youngest, shortest, and statistically worst of the three. 

He’s a great kid and a very good prospect. But he just doesn’t stack up well enough against the other two goalies. He would have needed to absolutely blow them out of the water at selection camp for him to have any real chance of making it past the final cuts.

But there’s always next year.

And hopefully, DiPietro will enter his next WJC camp as one of the older guys (at 19) and posting some of the best stats among U20 goalies that season. He’ll probably still be one of the shortest of the bunch, but hopefully he’ll be so far in front in all the other areas that he’ll be the obvious choice to backstop Canada for the next tournament.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3