The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I love DiPietro and I was really pulling for him. He’s such a passionate kid and you have to appreciate his competitive spirit and the way he battles. As well as the class and character he’s showing in response to what must be heartbreaking news.

But that all said, when I try to be truly objective, I can’t really argue with the reasoning behind cutting him in favour of Hart and Point.

I mean, all else being equal, you go with the older, more experienced goalie:

Carter Hart is 19

Colton Point is 19

Michael DiPietro is 18

All else being equal, you go with the taller goaltender:

Carter Hart is 6’2”

Colton Point is 6’4”

Michael DiPietro is 6’0”

All else being equal, you go with the goalie with the most impressive stats:

Carter Hart: 0.961 Sv% 1.32 GAA (WHL) 

Colton Point: 0.938 Sv% 1.90 GAA (NCAA)

Michael DiPietro: 0.917 Sv% 2.67 GAA (OHL)

None of the above are equal. DiPietro is the youngest, shortest, and statistically worst of the three. 

He’s a great kid and a very good prospect. But he just doesn’t stack up well enough against the other two goalies. He would have needed to absolutely blow them out of the water at selection camp for him to have any real chance of making it past the final cuts.

But there’s always next year.

And hopefully, DiPietro will enter his next WJC camp as one of the older guys (at 19) and posting some of the best stats among U20 goalies that season. He’ll probably still be one of the shortest of the bunch, but hopefully he’ll be so far in front in all the other areas that he’ll be the obvious choice to backstop Canada for the next tournament.

Well articulated.  Also goes to show as well that Colton Point had a really solid camp and showing against the University All-Star team.  Sometimes when you are hot, the coach will go with the hot hand and Colton Point had a great camp, not that Dipietro didn't have a good camp, but Point was very noticeably good.

Its the way of the world, again another good case where this should light a fire under his saddle, where teams are questionning his ability.  You can tell this kid is hungry and determined.  I remember Sam Consentino and echoed by Vancouver media interview that when teams during the draft combine said they would likely pass on him, Mikey responded "guess you don't like winning".  Kid has enough determination already to mentally push him to show everyone else that passed on him, he is the real deal.  Going to be fun seeing him and Demko dukeing it out for the crease in the next few years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

BS decision.  DiPietro has big game experience and a Memorial Cup, age and goalie height shouldn't equate into the decision if you're going to overlook that kind of experience.  TC is notorious for screwing up the goaltending scenario so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I love DiPietro and I was really pulling for him. He’s such a passionate kid and you have to appreciate his competitive spirit and the way he battles. As well as the class and character he’s showing in response to what must be heartbreaking news.

But that all said, when I try to be truly objective, I can’t really argue with the reasoning behind cutting him in favour of Hart and Point.

I mean, all else being equal, you go with the older, more experienced goalie:

Carter Hart is 19

Colton Point is 19

Michael DiPietro is 18

All else being equal, you go with the taller goaltender:

Carter Hart is 6’2”

Colton Point is 6’4”

Michael DiPietro is 6’0”

All else being equal, you go with the goalie with the most impressive stats:

Carter Hart: 0.961 Sv% 1.32 GAA (WHL) 

Colton Point: 0.938 Sv% 1.90 GAA (NCAA)

Michael DiPietro: 0.917 Sv% 2.67 GAA (OHL)

None of the above are equal. DiPietro is the youngest, shortest, and statistically worst of the three. 

He’s a great kid and a very good prospect. But he just doesn’t stack up well enough against the other two goalies. He would have needed to absolutely blow them out of the water at selection camp for him to have any real chance of making it past the final cuts.

But there’s always next year.

And hopefully, DiPietro will enter his next WJC camp as one of the older guys (at 19) and posting some of the best stats among U20 goalies that season. He’ll probably still be one of the shortest of the bunch, but hopefully he’ll be so far in front in all the other areas that he’ll be the obvious choice to backstop Canada for the next tournament.

Great post.   He is a very competitive kid but isn't all that special based upon his play this year and the invite to camp in the first place was more to do with his Memorial Cup showing than his year to date which started great but he has been pretty "average" since mid November.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna say it...IMHO, making the WJC U20 team is not a good predictor of a player's success in the NHL.  Especially goalies.  Other than MA Fleury, Luongo, Price, Theodore, Vernon, and Burke (and quite possibly Jake Allen), the AHL/ECHL/KHL/Swiss is littered with a bunch of goalies that represented the Canadian team as 18/19 year olds.  There's a bunch who made it as of middling tenders in the NHL, so I guess there's that.

I'm going to bet that DiPietro is going to have as good a shot at making the NHL than the two guys tending the nets for Team Canada now.

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Michael DiPietro with a shutout today. He is now 21-12-2 with 2.59 GAA, 0.921 SV%, 4 shutouts.

He is also now ranked (among OHL starters):

• 2nd in GAA
  • 2nd in SV%
  • 1st in shutouts
  • 4th in wins 

Spits unloaded all of their talent and he's still putting up great numbers 

On 2018-01-27 at 6:40 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Been a rough couple games for Dipietro. His team which was already weak became sellers during the OHL trade deadline. So it’s gonna be a tough finish to the year hopefully he can put together a solid finish.

Yeah, the team in front of him is definitely not helping his stats.

Still, he remains widely considered the best goalie in the OHL right now. And even in the losses, he’s regularly stoning shooters and making some jaw dropping saves. The Spits would be getting completely wrecked most nights without him.

We just don’t really talk about him much during his losses. Even last game, a 6-2 loss to Barrie, he held them in for quite a while and gave his teammates a chance. Quite a few of the top Barrie forwards got “Dipietro’d” early on and were denied what looked like surefire scoring chances.

But after losing Vilardi, Brown, McEneny, and Day off the roster, the Spits just don’t have the talent to hang with most teams, and certainly not with a team like Barrie. So there’s only so much that Mikey D can do. He needs to be pretty much perfect for them to win these days. And when he’s not, it’s pretty easy for a game to turn ugly (at least on the scoreboard), given how little help he’s getting from the guys in front of him.

Anyway, he gets a well deserved rest today as Baier starts this afternoon’s game for Windsor.

Dipietro’s current stats:

21 wins, 16 losses, 4 shutouts, 2.91 GAA, 0.911 SV%.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

On 11/13/2017 at 10:26 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Any chance this kid can sign and join Utica at seasons end for some pro experience? just to be around the Comets locker room for some prep for the regular season?  Maybe toss him in a few practices too as an extra goalie?  (If he is not already signed)

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Michael DiPietro with a shutout today. He is now 24-17-3 with 2.87 GAA, 0.910 SV%, 6 shutouts.

The GAA and save% aren't outstanding but I think the 6 shutouts is pretty impressive- leads the league, with several being tied for 2nd with only 3 shutouts. I think it shows his ability to dominate a game particularly when you consider that he doesn't play on a very good team.