The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Cat eater, I wish people would be careful getting on this kid's bandwagon.   He is structurally unsound for pro hockey in his style.  His compete level is insane but he will need to be stripped down and built back again and with his size, the probability of that working is very small.   There is a reason Team Canada kept him off the WJC team - he will be exposed.   Like I said, his compete level and desire to stop a puck are insane but he has no low coverage discipline, is a juicy rebound machine and needs to learn how to anticipate versus react which, again, is a hard thing for someone to "learn".    Every time I have watch him, I feel he is on the edge of letting something in.   I don't get that with Demko, for example, I get the opposite.

Compete level - great.   Translation to pro game - a loooooooong way to go.

My thoughts exactly.  I'm surprised that he hasn't been added to the Comets on an ATO contract for the remainder of the season.  Not necessarily to play but to practice with a pro team and to let Curtis Sanford work with him for a month.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You make him sound like a Tim Thomas kinda goalie.  We will need a better goalie coach than Cloutier.

Who says Cloutier is a bad goalie coach?  I have heard nothing of the sort from outside of the peanut gallery.

If you listen to his interviews, he knows what he's doing.

• Hydration 2

DiPietro is willing his team to win. Sarnia has 37 SOG while Windsor has only 12 SOG... and it's only the second intermission

Edit: Forgot to add that the score right now is only 2-1 Sarnia

Edited by GrizzlyAdams
7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hell of a night for DiPietro. Faces 50 shots and keeps his team from getting blown out.

Unfortunately the rest of the Spits didn't show up.

There aren't any spits to show up lol.

43 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

There aren't any spits to show up lol.

Lol, pretty much. I was actually a little surprised they didn’t trade DiPietro this year for a massive haul. But he did almost singlehandedly drag their team to the playoffs, win the first game, and give them a chance tonight, so I guess keeping him made sense.

DiPietro facing another onslaught tonight. Saved 20/21 to keep the Spits in the game at 1-1 at the end of first period. Kid has to be near perfect for that team to have any chance at winning.

EDIT: Just for an idea of the disparity in what the goalies are dealing with during this series: by my count, DiPietro has made 144 saves. On the other side, Fazio has made 63 saves. Both goalies have played all the games this series.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

DiPietro facing another onslaught tonight. Saved 20/21 to keep the Spits in the game at 1-1 at the end of first period. Kid has to be near perfect for that team to have any chance at winning.

EDIT: Just for an idea of the disparity in what the goalies are dealing with during this series: by my count, DiPietro has made 144 saves. On the other side, Fazio has made 63 saves. Both goalies have played all the games this series.

Sign him when the series is over and let's get him working out with Utica at least. Anyone gets injured, he might get some work!

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The HYPE-machine shifting into overdrive...

Yeah, I thought that tweet was maybe a little much. Apparently the guy’s an amateur scout though. 

EDIT: Best OHL goalie in a decade is a pretty bold claim. I would say that when DiPietro is in the zone, very few OHL goalies in recent memory have the kind of dominance he shows. Tonight he effectively broke the will of the Sarnia team. They threw nearly 50 shots at him and had 5 power plays (all killed and DiPietro was the best PKer) and they came away with only the one goal. By the end of the game, it didn’t seem like they believed they could come back, and the game was easily within reach on the scoreboard. Lots of overpassing as the Sting got into the headspace of believing they needed a perfect shot to get a puck past DiPietro. Of course, facing a goalie sporting a 0.950 series Sv% will do that, I suppose.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I honestly can't believe his numbers despite his team's performance. Is Windsor really this bad?

The top of their lineup has been absolutely gutted. Between graduating players from last year’s team (Sergachev, Chatfield, Addison, Nattinen, etc) and sell-off trades (Vilardi, Brown, Luchuk, Day, Stanley, McEneny, McCool, etc), just don’t have the horses anymore to be really competitive.

Well, other than a certain little guy in net who doesn’t seem to understand that they’re not supposed to win games. ;) 

EDIT: I should say that the Spits aren’t exactly a crap team. They got some nice pieces in their trades and have the makings of a pretty good young team, some of whom have played well in these playoffs. It’s not just DiPietro as the skaters have managed to put some goals on the board. But I’d say that without DiPietro, they wouldn’t have enough firepower to win many games (probably they’d have been swept already).

21 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The top of their lineup has been absolutely gutted. Between graduating players from last year’s team (Sergachev, Chatfield, Addison, Nattinen, etc) and sell-off trades (Vilardi, Brown, Luchuk, Day, Stanley, McEneny, McCool, etc), just don’t have the horses anymore to be really competitive.

Well, other than a certain little guy in net who doesn’t seem to understand that they’re not supposed to win games. ;) 

EDIT: I should say that the Spits aren’t exactly a crap team. They got some nice pieces in their trades and have the makings of a pretty good young team, some of whom have played well in these playoffs. It’s not just DiPietro as the skaters have managed to put some goals on the board. But I’d say that without DiPietro, they wouldn’t have enough firepower to win many games (probably they’d have been swept already).

We need a guy who doesn't understand the team is not supposed to win. ;)