The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

So is he on the team or just trying out for it?

If he is on the team, I think dipietro is the 1st Junior Goalie to suit up for Canada at the WHC since former 7th overall pick Jamie Storr did so in 1994. Interestingly, Storr also played for the Windsor spitfires in junior, though only for 4 games. 

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

He’s still 18 so canucks hold his rights this year whether they sign him or not. He’s also not old enough year for AHL so really there’s no rush to sign him till next season. Save some contract space this year

I was just listening to Sportsnet 650; They were saying that this opportunity could be Hockey Canada "grooming" Michael DiPietro to be the starting goalie at next year's U20 WJC. Carter Hart is turning professional this offseason so this would give DiPietro valuable experience and training to further develop his game to be THE GUY for Hockey Canada.

It's an interesting thought, as the radio guys were also saying that the rest of the world has caught up with Hockey Canada and everything is so competitive. Anything to get the competitive edge.

That said, it's a big testament to DiPietro's abilities in net and the faith Hockey Canada has in him. 

• Upvote 1

3rd string? Crazy to think he’s atleast 3-4 years away from even having a shot at playing at this level good to see hockey Canada look at future rather than having some random backup sit in the pressbox doing nothing let the kid get the experience and maybe he is roommates with his future captain bo 

Nice! Congrats Mikey! Well deserved!

These awards are almost becoming commonplace with this prospects pool. ;) 

Pretty close vote between the top-2. DiPeitro 70. Helvig 65.

Helvig is turning 21 this month and won’t be back in the OHL.

DiPietro is still 18 and turns 19 this June.

Have to wonder if Mikey can repeat (as the OHL’s top goalie) next year?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Can his team be any worse than last year? If they are they’ll most likely trade him to a powerhouse. After this coming year he’ll be old enough to make the jump to the AHL so if his team is bad they’ll likely move him to a contender for something. Rather than hold onto him for a bad spits year and lose him for nothing. In saying that I’m saying there’s a very strong possibility he repeats as the top goalie.

• Upvote 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Can his team be any worse than last year? If they are they’ll most likely trade him to a powerhouse. After this coming year he’ll be old enough to make the jump to the AHL so if his team is bad they’ll likely move him to a contender for something. Rather than hold onto him for a bad spits year and lose him for nothing. In saying that I’m saying there’s a very strong possibility he repeats as the top goalie.

Yeah, good chance he’s traded to a contender for a massive haul. On a strong team, he’d very likely dominate most stats categories and backstop a team to a possible OHL title and maybe even another Memorial Cup.

Oh, and here’s DiPietro’s statement after winning today’s award:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Do you think there’s any chance MD can grow a few inches over the next 2-3 years?

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, good chance he’s traded to a contender for a massive haul. On a strong team, he’d very likely dominate most stats categories and backstop a team to a possible OHL title and maybe even another Memorial Cup.

Oh, and here’s DiPietro’s statement after winning today’s award:

Amazing. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Damn all this prospect news!

Congrats DiPietro!

Literally carried Windsor into the playoffs. Imagine what he could do on a half-decent team.

Edited by Qwags
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Literally carried Windsor into the playoffs. Imagine what he could do on a half-decent team.

Ya no kidding. Kid has tons of skill and drive! Be interesting to see what that team can do next year with some good young players coming in and the best goalie in the OHL locking them down.

Originally I thought DiPietro would make the jump to the AHL next year with his amazing play but doesn't sound like anything is proceeding on that front. Cant wait to see what he becomes because he really could be the next Quick with his style and compete level.

I just cant get over how well our prospects are doing right now!