The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Eddie Lack is a FA, I bet he’d return to the organization to play for Utica. He’s my Bachman replacement vote at least. Know quantity, good goalie, can play in the nhl if we need him to.

Loved Eddie Lack's time here, but I don't think he's the best option moving forward. If we want a guy that can play in the NHL, there's Michael Hutchinson. There are younger options like Christopher Gibson or Brossoit (who is from Port Alberni). There's Dustin Tokarski, Harri Sateri and Reto Berra that put up good numbers last season. Someone like Tom McCollum is from NY and might be interested in playing a few years in Utica. I think my top option would be Edward Pasquale though. All of these guys are potential UFAs so wouldn't cost us anything and could do a decent job in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Loved Eddie Lack's time here, but I don't think he's the best option moving forward. If we want a guy that can play in the NHL, there's Michael Hutchinson. There are younger options like Christopher Gibson or Brossoit (who is from Port Alberni). There's Dustin Tokarski, Harri Sateri and Reto Berra that put up good numbers last season. Someone like Tom McCollum is from NY and might be interested in playing a few years in Utica. I think my top option would be Edward Pasquale though. All of these guys are potential UFAs so wouldn't cost us anything and could do a decent job in the AHL.

I agree there are better options out there. But I see Lack as a fit because he has had 2 down seasons, he could be had for cheap and I don't think he'd mind taking the "third goalie" spot in Utica that Bachman has held for so long and I think he can rebound in a familiar situation. He hasn't performed well outsite of our Canucks system... I do like Tokarski, Sateri I wasn't impressed with in Florida. Berra is as good as Lack, I think same age too. Anyways long story short we will have options to fill our 3rd goalie spot lol. 

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

We are talking about Eddie Lack right?

Oh come on, I think he's a good goalie lol. I'm not saying I want him in the NHL. But yes I do think he is a capable 3rd goalie, and could be an asset for our farm team till we get more goalies coming through our system. We have Demko and DiPietro. That's it.

28 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I agree there are better options out there. But I see Lack as a fit because he has had 2 down seasons, he could be had for cheap and I don't think he'd mind taking the "third goalie" spot in Utica that Bachman has held for so long and I think he can rebound in a familiar situation. He hasn't performed well outsite of our Canucks system... I do like Tokarski, Sateri I wasn't impressed with in Florida. Berra is as good as Lack, I think same age too. Anyways long story short we will have options to fill our 3rd goalie spot lol. 

I think any goalie in this position will come cheap and we won't be giving anything up for them. This is really just help for Utica because Demko is the likely guy to get Canuck games if needed anyway assuming Nilsson hasn't been moved yet. Might as well go with the best option available for Utica.

10 hours ago, 70seven said:

I think the comparisons to Quick are more along the lines of being that he relies a lot on his athleticism, rather than stylistically.  

Perhaps comparisons to Tim Thomas or Dominik Hasek are more accurate for actual stylistic analysis.  His compete, reaction, and ability to read play levels are extremely high... The type of goalie that can will his team to a victory, and find ways of stopping pucks that goalies that rely solely on positioning and structure don’t.  Goalies like this typically play better as the stakes increase, as they become more involved and determined.... also the most frustrating for opposition to scout and play against as you can’t really pick apart will and determination.  I think being cut from Team Canada at the WJHC was the best thing that could’ve happened to him.  It’s only pushed him.  Now to be present with the big boys at the worlds...  I’m quite sure he’ll absolutely dominate the OHL next season. 

I know now there are a LOT of eastern media that are extremely high on him.   He’ll likely represent Canada at the WJHCs next year and from there it should be interesting to see how he translates to pro.  He really could end up being something very special. 

I'm definitely hoping to see him at the WJC. With hart moving on it seems like a sure bet. I hope windsor trades him to a better OHL contender though. 

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think any goalie in this position will come cheap and we won't be giving anything up for them. This is really just help for Utica because Demko is the likely guy to get Canuck games if needed anyway assuming Nilsson hasn't been moved yet. Might as well go with the best option available for Utica.

The organization has been pretty clear that Demko has another year in Utica before being promoted.  They have a definite timeline for his career and, to me, it looks like they intend to stick to it.

If he comes in and kills it in pre-season and gives them no choice but to keep him, then everyone wins!

There's something about dipietros mental approach to the game that makes me believe he's going to be successful.  That's the similarity I see with quick......not style, just attitude

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone hear Bo’s interview on sportsnet radio? Said something like it’s good to see a guy like that that’s “almost nhl ready” haha. Just Bo’s opinion from practicing with him but still pretty cool. 

On 5/6/2018 at 4:18 AM, 70seven said:

I think the comparisons to Quick are more along the lines of being that he relies a lot on his athleticism, rather than stylistically.  

Perhaps comparisons to Tim Thomas or Dominik Hasek are more accurate for actual stylistic analysis.  His compete, reaction, and ability to read play levels are extremely high... The type of goalie that can will his team to a victory, and find ways of stopping pucks that goalies that rely solely on positioning and structure don’t.  Goalies like this typically play better as the stakes increase, as they become more involved and determined.... also the most frustrating for opposition to scout and play against as you can’t really pick apart will and determination.  I think being cut from Team Canada at the WJHC was the best thing that could’ve happened to him.  It’s only pushed him.  Now to be present with the big boys at the worlds...  I’m quite sure he’ll absolutely dominate the OHL next season. 

I know now there are a LOT of eastern media that are extremely high on him.   He’ll likely represent Canada at the WJHCs next year and from there it should be interesting to see how he translates to pro.  He really could end up being something very special. 

Representing at the WJCs in his new backyard!!  The kid plays good under pressure too with his .934 save percentage during the playoffs

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

Just now, Bigturk8 said:

For sure, and I love his humility, but I believe that he will for sure be at WJC training camp, and as a result, that quote made me laugh.

I don't disagree, I'm just glad he's not counting those chickens before they hatch. 

• Upvote 1