The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

On 5/29/2018 at 12:33 PM, Analyst82 said:

Wonder if signing DiPietro means Demko going to be with the big club next year.

Because of the agreement between the NHL and Canadian Major Junior Leagues Di Pietro isn't eligible for the AHL until 2019-2020.  He either plays in the NHL or the OHL this coming season.  I think we can assume it won't be the NHL, so DiPietro will be spending another season playing junior-which makes his signing irrelevant to where Demko plays this coming season. 

The original plan was for Demko to play three seasons in the AHL (with part of the 3rd season probably getting some NHL games in.)  If they stick to that plan then Di Pietro will be replacing Demko on the Comets for 2019-20.  If they don't and promote Demko for this coming season it won't be affected by DiPietro, who will almost certainly join the Comets for 2019-20.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Bo Cappy knows

how to get the youngsters motivated and feel a part of the group.  Give 53 the "C"

Also so happy for Miketendy I hope he can translate to the pro game.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Looks a lot like the Palmu contract, assuming those are base salary figures. Wonder if the AAV will be north of $925K or if they just bonused him up to 925 each year so they could give him the $92,500 max signing bonus each year of the deal? The top 2017 drafted goalie contracts are Skinner and Villalta (both are at 925K AAV), and their base salaries are a bit lower than those numbers, so an equal or better bonus structure would probably take the AAV on DiPietro’s deal to 1 million or better.

EDIT: terms up on Cap Friendly

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/michael-dipietro

Identical figures to the Palmu deal. 650/750/800K base salary, 92.5K (annual) signing bonus, $825,833 cap hit (without performance bonuses), performance bonuses bring each year to 925K AAV.

So equal earning potential to the other top goalies from his draft year, but higher guaranteed money and less performance bonuses than Skinner, Villalta, etc.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks a lot like the Palmu contract, assuming those are base salary figures. Wonder if the AAV will be north of $925K or if they just bonused him up to 925 each year so they could give him the $92,500 max signing bonus each year of the deal? The top 2017 drafted goalie contracts are Skinner and Villalta (both are at 925K AAV), and their base salaries are a bit lower than those numbers, so an equal or better bonus structure would probably take the AAV on DiPietro’s deal to 1 million or better.

EDIT: terms up on Cap Friendly

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/michael-dipietro

Identical figures to the Palmu deal. 650/750/800K base salary, 92.5K (annual) signing bonus, $825,833 cap hit (without performance bonuses), performance bonuses bring each year to 925K AAV.

So equal earning potential to the other top goalies from his draft year, but higher guaranteed money and less performance bonuses than Skinner, Villalta, etc.

He deserves it with the season he's had.  And I think JB and team have it figured out when it comes to signing their kids.  A couple hundred grand and an easy, friendly negotiation at the start of a kid's career is worth a ton of goodwill.  It likely ends up saving the team far more when the kids recontract and/or decide to stay rather than looking elsewhere.

4 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

He deserves it with the season he's had.  And I think JB and team have it figured out when it comes to signing their kids.  A couple hundred grand and an easy, friendly negotiation at the start of a kid's career is worth a ton of goodwill.  It likely ends up saving the team far more when the kids recontract and/or decide to stay rather than looking elsewhere.

Yeah, I really agree. I like seeing this approach from Benning. Almost a polar opposite to the oldschool guys like Lamoriello and not giving performance bonuses out to anyone unless it’s a first round pick. For me, there’s a time to nickle and dime on contracts and ELCs ain’t it. I like seeing all these guys get maximum signing bonuses. Earns some good feels on all sides and at a pretty cheap price. And shows these kids that the Canucks are gonna take care of them from day one and (hopefully) for the long haul.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I really agree. I like seeing this approach from Benning. Almost a polar opposite to the oldschool guys like Lamoriello and not giving performance bonuses out to anyone unless it’s a first round pick. For me, there’s a time to nickle and dime on contracts and ELCs ain’t it. I like seeing all these guys get maximum signing bonuses. Earns some good feels on all sides and at a pretty cheap price. And shows these kids that the Canucks are gonna take care of them from day one and (hopefully) for the long haul.

while I agree with you in principle, I think y/our stance would be a little bit different if it was, say, 2011 when laurence gilman was constantly having to play the cba like he was beethoven on the piano. 

23 minutes ago, tas said:

while I agree with you in principle, I think y/our stance would be a little bit different if it was, say, 2011 when laurence gilman was constantly having to play the cba like he was beethoven on the piano. 

Maybe. Certainly if we were in a position where a few 100K was the difference between cap compliance and being over, then saving bucks wherever we could would be important.

Although I’d still be looking at extensions and free agency for cap savings versus trying to nickle and dime things on the ELCs. One or two good value deals on an extension or FA signing can save you millions. Being thrifty on a select number of the bigger tickets has a much greater effect than cheaping out on virtually all your prospects.

Plus, the most of performance bonuses generally don’t end up getting paid out. And when they do, it’s because a young player made it and had a great season. Deals like Palmu’s and DiPietro’s are still fairly cheap from the base salary side. The bonus structure just allows them the maximum signing bonus, but the real world cap hits will likely be fairly low. 

I actually think Benning has done a fine job with many of the ELCs. The base salaries on several deals from recent years are actually fairly low versus league comparables. He seems to use the strategy of padding a low salary up to 925K with bonuses and giving these kids the max $92,500 on their signing bonus. In most cases, this ends up being the best for everyone. Most of these players will spend much of their ELC in the minors, so the signing bonus is their main chunk of change. And when they get to the NHL, only the cream of the crop will earn those performance bonuses, and that’s still good value, as a season that earns maximum bonuses is well worth that payout.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gilman and the Leafs handing out similar deals to these when the next round of ELCs get done in Toronto. For example, the recent Jesper Lindgren deal has an almost identical structure (modest base salary, bonused up to 925K, and max signing bonus).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This just shows how crazy projecting goalies is. Off the top of my head, I would have guessed that almost all of them would have been taller than at least 6'1. It just shows that we shouldn't count DiPietro out because of his size. He already has a winning pedigree and a reputation in the OHL as one of the tougher goalies to score on, and there doesn't seem to be any indication (yet) that it won't translate somewhat to the next level with some development and time.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This just shows how crazy projecting goalies is. Off the top of my head, I would have guessed that almost all of them would have been taller than at least 6'1. It just shows that we shouldn't count DiPietro out because of his size. He already has a winning pedigree and a reputation in the OHL as one of the tougher goalies to score on, and there doesn't seem to be any indication (yet) that it won't translate somewhat to the next level with some development and time.

Just shows that the average starting goalie is between 6'0" and 6'2".

Either way, him not becoming an NHL starter will not be because he's an inch or two shorter than the average goalie. It will be his skill and his will to be the best in all areas of his game.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

This guy should be getting more attention 

Shiny new toy syndrome.

I love DiPietro's compete level. His experience at the WC this year, getting to practice with players of that caliber, I'm sure will drive him to get even better. I'd say he's definitely the frontrunner for the #1 goalie at next years WJC and if he does earn it this thread will probably explode. 

• 1 month later...