The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I have a feeling DP will edge past Demko in a couple of years. I'm a bit worried Demko might have stalled. Thought he might challenge for back up as I'm not sold on Nilsson.

So he was rated as the first or second best goalie in the world not currently in the NHL because his development has stalled?   Was it being named as the top prospect in the entire AHL East last year?    His stellar numbers during the season and the playoffs - both showing major improvement over his first year as a pro?   Are those the reasons you think he has stalled?    

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I don't believe Demko has stalled.  He is continuing to develop but the problem is for Vancouver fans that don't see him play every game the AHL stats make him appear to be NHL ready which I don't believe is the case.  He is close but not there yet.  He has technical issues that are fixable but take time to fix.  He was much better last season than he was the season before and I expect that progress to continue.  The correct development plan IMHO is the #1 starter in Utica with a handful of NHL games on occasional call ups this season.  He will be a better goalie one year from now when Nilsson's contract is done.  It's been said many times because it is true goalies take longer to develop. 

Hope you are right. You see him a lot more than I do of course.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So he was rated as the first or second best goalie in the world not currently in the NHL because his development has stalled?   Was it being named as the top prospect in the entire AHL East last year?    His stellar numbers during the season and the playoffs - both showing major improvement over his first year as a pro?   Are those the reasons you think he has stalled?    

No it's more that I really don't think TD should be having "technical issues" to the extent being discussed when you consider his pedigree.

Edited by alfstonker

Demko is refreshingly NOT your typical technical goaltender... that’s what sets his game a part imo.

He will need to constantly work at finding consistency, but at his best he could be a Rinne type.

He played poor the other night, though. He needs to be better, and he knows that already.

Edited by nergish
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Things move pretty fast in Canuckland during preseason. Three goals on 21 shots in two periods, and Demko goes from blue chipper to bust, at least in some fans’ minds. It’s the same for every Canucks player, and many of the comments in the PGTs can attest to this.

I’m sure Demko will be fine.

Also, it’s worth noting that all the goalies apparently received detailed technical packages from Ian Clark and are working on various adjustments. Demko, for example, has, among other things, reportedly been studying a 40 clip video pack that Clark put together just from his one NHL game last year (per The Athletic). And Demko is actually said to be the guy Clark is making the fewest adjustments with, among the Canucks netminders. 

It’s “back to school” for these guys, and Clark is the kind of teacher who hands out homework on the first day.

Have heard this from numerous people, inclusive of Ian, who say Demko is one of the most technically sound goalies in all of hockey today - period.   He is so fundamentally sound and his rebound control so good he projects to scary levels if he figures out all the other pieces.   His jump in SV% last year in Utica was massive and under a much heavier load.

Yeah, he will be just fine.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

No it's more that I really don't think TD should be having "technical issues" to the extent being discussed when you consider his pedigree.

Who other than people who have not a clue about goaltending at an elite level are discussing him having "technical issues?".   Ian Clark, arguably the best goalie coach in hockey, raves about Demko's technical make up saying his fundamentals are "off the charts" good let alone for young guy.    

Why invent things that aren't true?

• Upvote 2
On 22/09/2018 at 12:32 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Who other than people who have not a clue about goaltending at an elite level are discussing him having "technical issues?".   Ian Clark, arguably the best goalie coach in hockey, raves about Demko's technical make up saying his fundamentals are "off the charts" good let alone for young guy.    

Why invent things that aren't true?

Who is inventing? The gloss has gone from Demko, that is my opinion.

12 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Got his first shutout of the season tonight vs. the Knights.

Other than playing for the CDN Jr team, it seems like Dipi is beyond the OHL now.  Looking forward to seeing him with the Comets.

Hype?

Hype implies false excitement. If anything our prospects are being overshadowed by developments on the big club. Great. 

With Hughes, OJ, Woo and Trymakin (just try to remember the last time Vancouver had so many promising d prospects) Demko and Dipeitro along with Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette and Gadjovich.  

Thats a lot of ‘hype’.  

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hype?

Hype implies false excitement. If anything our prospects are being overshadowed by developments on the big club. Great. 

With Hughes, OJ, Woo and Trymakin (just try to remember the last time Vancouver had so many promising d prospects) Demko and Dipeitro along with Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette and Gadjovich.  

Thats a lot of ‘hype’.  

'Hype' in the sense that many fans put the most optimistic forecasts on the prospect pool. Not all these players will make the NHL and if they do will not be more than journeymen. That is a reality that all NHL orgs are faced with. Rebuilding an org from nothing takes many years. Canuck fans have already seen 5 years go by. Fans wanting to see something now is natural but that has to be couched in the realization that it could be another 5 years before the Canucks are serious CUP contenders. If it happens sooner than I will :) but not counting on it.

One of the real signs of a maturing org is when it is willing to develop players at a pace that fits their needs and not the fans. The Vancouver Canucks have had a long history of rushing players into the NHL to fit a need. That process has killed careers and at best has minimized the potential of many players. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

'Hype' in the sense that many fans put the most optimistic forecasts on the prospect pool. Not all these players will make the NHL and if they do will not be more than journeymen. That is a reality that all NHL orgs are faced with. Rebuilding an org from nothing takes many years. Canuck fans have already seen 5 years go by. Fans wanting to see something now is natural but that has to be couched in the realization that it could be another 5 years before the Canucks are serious CUP contenders. If it happens sooner than I will :) but not counting on it.

One of the real signs of a maturing org is when it is willing to develop players at a pace that fits their needs and not the fans. The Vancouver Canucks have had a long history of rushing players into the NHL to fit a need. That process has killed careers and at best has minimized the potential of many players. 

Rebuilds can be long and very painful.  Not all prospects will develop into the type of players that the fan base hope they will.  (I should actually replace "Not all" with Most).  I am a Buffalo Sabres fan first and a Canucks fan second.  If you want to know about suffering through a long painful rebuild talk to some Sabres fans.  Last night the team was shut out by the Bruins and were boo'd off the ice after the first and second periods and I don't know if there were enough fans left in the building at the end of the game to voice their displeasure.  

Rushing a bunch of kids into the the NHL doesn't help the rebuilding process and at the end of the day it doesn't make the team any more fun to watch.

• Upvote 4