The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

38 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Making his 67's debut tonight in some kind of freak game against QMJHL Gatineau ; not an exhibition and counts towards their respective records I believe.

EDIT:  My mistake, he's backing up tonight.

Lol, yeah it’s the “Battle of the Ottawa River” series between Ottawa (OHL) and Gatineau (QMJHL).

Here’s Mikey pregame:

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2018 at 11:58 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m basing this on nothing but a hunch, by does anyone else besides me feel that Dipietro will not only be our goalie of the future, but will also be a future star in this league?

Im going to go out on a limb and make this prediction.  

Despite being undersized,  Dipietro just seems so confident and dynamic back there.  He also really seems like he enjoys the challenge of being the goaltender back there.

The impression I get from Demko is that he’s a little stiff.  I think Demko might be a decent goalie in the league one day, but I’m not seeing stardom in him.  Hopefully, I’m wrong.

I am not totally sold, sorry.   His style still is not that of a professional netminder.   He has made great strides and is starting to use angle control versus sheer athleticism but is compare to Demko, it is an unfair situation as Demko may have the best fundamentals in any prospect goalie in all of hockey right now....period.   Rave reports about Demko's angles and body management.   He needs (Demko) to work on his glove hand and rebound control but every young goalie has a few tweaks.   MD is making good strides but he needs to show (at least to me, and as I am not the Canuck's coaching staff this means zilch) a more stable platform with his hips and keep square to the shooter longer before his acrobatic nature comes into play.   

Will say this, MD projects to be a more "exciting" goalie than Demko.   Highlight reel saves more likely but so are whiffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not totally sold, sorry.   His style still is not that of a professional netminder.   He has made great strides and is starting to use angle control versus sheer athleticism but is compare to Demko, it is an unfair situation as Demko may have the best fundamentals in any prospect goalie in all of hockey right now....period.   Rave reports about Demko's angles and body management.   He needs (Demko) to work on his glove hand and rebound control but every young goalie has a few tweaks.   MD is making good strides but he needs to show (at least to me, and as I am not the Canuck's coaching staff this means zilch) a more stable platform with his hips and keep square to the shooter longer before his acrobatic nature comes into play.   

Will say this, MD projects to be a more "exciting" goalie than Demko.   Highlight reel saves more likely but so are whiffs.

Will be interesting to see if he adapts well to the goalie equipment changes that have started to show up now.  I hope they put goalies back in gear closer to the Pre-Roy era.  Smaller or at least more athletic goalies should have an advantage over lumps who rely on size/filling the net.  Wrap-arounds, shots from further out, deflections in-close, breakaways, all might be much more likely to go in.  And, if the pads are adjusted much, then even the classic Hasek/Quick strategy of always covering the entire bottom of the net might not even be enough.  

They want higher scoring games.  I suspect that changing goalie equipment and/or adjusting the net size is the easiest way to do this.  Not even 3 on 3 in OT or allowing for more powerplays or even many more penalty shots would do as much.   There was a reason that teams scored a lot more goals prior to Patrick Roy.   

My hypothesis is that the smaller the gear that goalies wear, the more they have to use judgment and athleticism.   Of course, taller probably always helps.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

Will be interesting to see if he adapts well to the goalie equipment changes that have started to show up now.  I hope they put goalies back in gear closer to the Pre-Roy era.  Smaller or at least more athletic goalies should have an advantage over lumps who rely on size/filling the net.  Wrap-arounds, shots from further out, deflections in-close, breakaways, all might be much more likely to go in.  And, if the pads are adjusted much, then even the classic Hasek/Quick strategy of always covering the entire bottom of the net might not even be enough.  

They want higher scoring games.  I suspect that changing goalie equipment and/or adjusting the net size is the easiest way to do this.  Not even 3 on 3 in OT or allowing for more powerplays or even many more penalty shots would do as much.   There was a reason that teams scored a lot more goals prior to Patrick Roy.   

My hypothesis is that the smaller the gear that goalies wear, the more they have to use judgment and athleticism.   Of course, taller probably always helps.

Agree with a lot of this.   No question as equipment shrinks that athleticism will be more important.   Size does help too though.   Ideal "modern" goalie is 6'4" to 6'6" with an even greater proportional wingspan but with the Usian Bolt physique and range of motion.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agree with a lot of this.   No question as equipment shrinks that athleticism will be more important.   Size does help too though.   Ideal "modern" goalie is 6'4" to 6'6" with an even greater proportional wingspan but with the Usian Bolt physique and range of motion.    

Beautifully put.  In other words, a guy who has to choose between career as NBA high-end Guard or an NHL goalie.  These guys are so elite now!

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Nancouver said:

I agree 100%. His attitude is second to none and so much compete in his game. He strikes me as a big game clutch kind of player.

And he's the type to listen, to constantly learn, always improving his game.  A dream to coach, I'm guessing. 

30 minutes ago, gameburn said:

And he's the type to listen, to constantly learn, always improving his game.  A dream to coach, I'm guessing. 

I always wondered what that term meant until I saw the quote from Växjö Lakers head coach Sam Hallam when asked about coaching EP40 "Kid was a dream to coach, he taught us something new every day".

• Cheers 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Had a great first game

Rough 2nd game for DiPietro and team Canada

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/junior/2018-19/selection-camp/stats/game-summary?gameid=2469

Canada up 3-2 and give up 3 unanswered goals in a span of 10 mins.

That’s because there’s no Jett Woo.  Bad decision not having Jett.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not totally sold, sorry.   His style still is not that of a professional netminder.  

Hasek

Edited by smokes
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If Dipietro even comes close to duplicating Hasek's performances back in the 90's when he was with Buffalo;  we would have an elite level goalie whose save percentages were exceptional for a decade.

I know:bigblush:

• Cheers 1