The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

18 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Not sure but i believe he is solely referring the the size of pads during the 80's and how dramatically they increased. Despite new rules they are still huge in comparison. 

Billy Smith.jpg

mike liut.jpg

These pictures are from the late 70's early 80's, so Pre-Roy.  This is when Gretzky first entered the league.  By the time Roy was in top form the equipment had changed.  Roy in his prime was wearing much larger equipment but guys were still scoring 160+ points.  Here is Roy when he was still in Montreal, he looked pretty big back then, he became even bigger in Colorado.  The scoring didn't change until New Jersey and Martin Brodeur came on board and started playing the trap in the mid-1990's after the lockout.  That's when scoring took a nosedive.  Gretzky and Mario were still getting 160+ points in the early 1990's...

4198079270_87870456ef_b.jpg

roy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

These pictures are from the late 70's early 80's, so Pre-Roy.  This is when Gretzky first entered the league.  By the time Roy was in top form the equipment had changed.  Roy in his prime was wearing much larger equipment but guys were still scoring 160+ points.  Here is Roy when he was still in Montreal, he looked pretty big back then, he became even bigger in Colorado.  The scoring didn't change until New Jersey and Martin Brodeur came on board and started playing the trap in the mid-1990's after the lockout.  That's when scoring took a nosedive.  Gretzky and Mario were still getting 160+ points in the early 1990's...

4198079270_87870456ef_b.jpg

roy.jpg

That is exactly what i was trying to say, sorry it didn't come out correct :)  I think that poster was meaning that to go back to the size of the pads like the pictures i showed, that's all. Roy was definitely one of the leaders to larger equipment as by the late 90's he was huge. I was looking at a pic of Brodeur and compared to Liut he was huge as well!  A lot of people forget the game changed dramatically too as far as defence is concerned. Not just the "trap" but the clutching and grabbing, interference spread like wild fire as well. Coaching defence became the thing to do as well as teams like Detroit perfected it under Scotty Bowman where as he did nothing like that in Pittsburgh previously. Now all forwards were back checking, blocking shots etc that no one did before. Here is a pic of Roy when he started!

patrick roy.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

How did Scott do tonight? Better or worse than dipietro? 

The goals he gave up look a lot worse than Dipietros. Dipietro actually played a pretty solid game tonight. However, it is still uncertain who will be the #1 because Tim Hunter had already said each goalie will get a game in the first 2 games. It is game 3 of the group games when we will know who will be our starter.

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

The goals he gave up look a lot worse than Dipietros. Dipietro actually played a pretty solid game tonight. However, it is still uncertain who will be the #1 because Tim Hunter had already said each goalie will get a game in the first 2 games. It is game 3 of the group games when we will know who will be our starter.

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

Dipietro with a much better save percentage today 

If dipietro outplayed Scott tonight and follows that up with a solid game I would think he'd cement the starter role? 

I'm watching the replay. DiPietro was really good considering the Canadian defense hung him out to dry on both goals. He saved the partial breakaway but the Canadian defense couldn't clear the rebound in time, and on the second goal they left the Finnish player wide open -- it's like giving Russell Wilson 5 seconds without pressure of course he would find his spot!

That said, does a bigger goalie cover up more net and not allow that second goal?

As an aside, Finland dominated that first half of the second period. At 3:45 left in the second period Ray Ferraro says, "Since Canada has changed goaltenders, they have played almost exclusively in the Finnish end of the ice." 

Further, during the second intermission Bob McKenzie breaks down that second goal:

"Marcus Phillips, number 18, he's got his man number 29 in front of net. The problem you run into here though, is Jarret Anderson-Dolan number 11 a forward, doesn't come over and seal off the man with the puck, and as a result, the man with the puck had way too much time. You could make an argument that Mikey DiPietro didn't make himself big in that situation, but that Finnish shooter could have ordered out for food at that point he had the puck for so long in a prime scoring area before Anderson-Dolan got over too little too late."

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Patrick Roy won a Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1986 and played against Gretzky and Mario when they were putting up 200 points.  So not sure what you mean by Pre-Roy era.  Was there an era Pre-Roy where players were better than Gretzky and Mario??

I'm thinking that you are thinking of Martin Brodeur not Patrick Roy, which would make more sense as Brodeur played most of his career in the "dead puck era" where New Jersey perfected the trap and won 3 Cups.  Roy only played in that era after he was traded to Colorado, so he spent only around 50% of his career in his 30's in the dead puck era...

I just remember Roy putting on thicker and higher shoulder pads (angled so that they not only took up more net space, but also deflected shots).  Other goalies put on longer and wider goalie pads, bigger uniforms, etc.  I believe Roy moved toward larger goalie gloves.  This was in his Colorado days.  They also began experimenting with goalie sticks that would make shooting easier.  The league is aware of the problem: been trying to reduce goalie equipment since 2011.  Thickness, width and length of the goalie pads together with removing much more of the shoulder padding and chest protector would help increase scoring a huge amount.  Making the nets bigger is a possibility too, but starting with the equipment is the way to go. The goal should be to have goalies where the least equipment possible while not endangering them.  If you have ever seen what a pro goalie looks like prior to putting on his jersey, it is a real shocker.  Michelin man lol.  Roy wasn't the only goalie to "inflate" his goal presence, but in the last half of his career he was as bad as most and worse than many.  If you compare his silhouette in Montreal with his in Colorado, it's as if he put on 200 pounds lol.  To the best of my knowledge Roy and Hasek created the modern goaltending style of play, but neither alone created the disastrous inflation of the equipment goalies have arrived at in the 2000's.  Everyone did it, they had to compete.  

Edited by gameburn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Yeah, can't ask for more than the shutout and an assist from your goalie.  Not a lot of work and few quality chances beyond the penalty shot.  But he did everything he could do in his start.  

I hate to be like this but i hope Scott has a stinker in game 2

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I hate to be like this but i hope Scott has a stinker in game 2

I am hoping for like a 9-2 win.  That should be good enough for Mikey to win out and Canada still does just fine.  

Edited by TGT68