The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

DiPietro is amazing. The Finnish shooters couldn't beat him clean. He battles for every save. Definitely Canada's best player for the tournament.

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Very impressed with Mikey. I sense he may end up beating out Demko one day for the #1. So quick with unteachable battle. High hockey iq, which isn't something really noticeable with a goalie. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

The irony is they left some good defensive dmen off the roster in favour of speed and offense.  They were terrible, defensively all tournament.  I honestly think they got the result they earned

Yes, DiPietro was very good. And I agree with Jester that it is not clear that Demko stays ahead of DiPietro. Of course, DiPietro still needs to show he can succeed in the AHL, let alone the NHL, and goalie is the hardest position to predict, but his trajectory so far is excellent.

And, I am not the first to say it (or even the 10th) , but how did Canada not pick Woo for the team? He deserved the pick on merit and having him play in Vancouver would have great for the local fans as well.

I also don't think Hunter was the right pick as coach. He got the job partly due to seniority. I would have preferred a coach who could inject some offensive creativity when needed. (Paradoxically, I would have also like the coach to throttle back in the first game. I don't think putting up an embarrassing score like 14-0 is a good start. I know opinions are mixed on "running up the score", but I think it creates the wrong mindset. I would have rather seen the team focus on defensive systems in the 3rd period of that first game. You can't ask players not to try hard, but you can play the bottom 6 more and you can, as I said, focus on nailing down the win with good defensive play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Unfortunate goal to spoil the shutout. Had a good game and tournament it’s too bad Canada couldn’t get much going offensively the last couple games.

The Nielsson trade and Demko move to the NHL clears Utica for MD next year. 

With less than a minute to go why would you have three Canadian forwards up high on the forecheck? 

14 hours ago, stawns said:

The irony is they left some good defensive dmen off the roster in favour of speed and offense.  They were terrible, defensively all tournament.  I honestly think they got the result they earned

PP wasn't great either for all those offensive players. Too many individuals or at least individual play (coaching?). First unit PP was also FAR too static.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

(Paradoxically, I would have also like the coach to throttle back in the first game. I don't think putting up an embarrassing score like 14-0 is a good start. I know opinions are mixed on "running up the score", but I think it creates the wrong mindset. I would have rather seen the team focus on defensive systems in the 3rd period of that first game. You can't ask players not to try hard, but you can play the bottom 6 more and you can, as I said, focus on nailing down the win with good defensive play.

Agree 100%.  I didn’t like running up the score like that.  During one of Grapes’ rambles I think he went on about how he didn’t like that either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Agree 100%.  I didn’t like running up the score like that.  During one of Grapes’ rambles I think he went on about how he didn’t like that either.

I agree, but it's a slippery slope taking your foot off the gas in a short tourney.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree, but it's a slippery slope taking your foot off the gas in a short tourney.  

Especially as GF is a tie breaker in these tourny's is it not?

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

True and to be fair it’s not like Canada’s roster is built to gear down with your bottom 6 in these tournaments.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I didn’t know that... that’s silly if true.  I thought GA or differential?  Something else I thought.  Ah well.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

True and to be fair it’s not like Canada’s roster is built to gear down with your bottom 6 in these tournaments.

I didn’t know that... that’s silly if true.

Not dissimilar to NHL standings. Outright wins vs OT, like GF is one of the tie breakers there too that determines playoff and draft order etc IIRC.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Not dissimilar to NHL standings. Outright wins vs OT, like GF is one of the tie breakers there too that determines playoff and draft order etc IIRC.

Yeah it factors in down the line for sure, though you run up the score in the NHL (or most other leagues) at your own peril. 

In any case, too bad they couldn’t have saved some of those goals to help out DiPietro vs the fins.  

More on topic: is it a pretty done deal he goes to the AHL next year?  That’d be fun to watch.

15 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

DiPietro is amazing. The Finnish shooters couldn't beat him clean. He battles for every save. Definitely Canada's best player for the tournament.

And Canada doesn't medal? Lose to Russia and outed by the Fin's? Whats amazing is he made the team.

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he still has one more year of Junior next season? I don't think he's eligible for Utica until the following year. He was a really young pick I think, kind of like Woo.

Pretty sure he's AHL bound next year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

PP wasn't great either for all those offensive players. Too many individuals or at least individual play (coaching?). First unit PP was also FAR too static.

Evan Bouchard was hyped up as Canada's great next D. The clear cut best in the tournament. He was slow, predictable, and provided little offensive input. I wish they put Ty Smith on that first unit PP instead he was far better at walking the line and opening up lanes.

Bouchard just sat there waiting to blast it. Maybe he would have been better in Boeser's spot on the half wall lol.

I would say Bouchard was heavily overrated and he really underperformed. Jet Woo probably could have brought more in that role. Very disappointing tournament for booster juice.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

35 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I didn’t know that... that’s silly if true.  I thought GA or differential?  Something else I thought.  Ah well.

Good point about goal differential and goals scored. They are both in the tie-break list. Here is the list of tie-breakers (with goal differential coming first). Note that goal differential and goals for count ONLY AMONG THE TIED TEAMS. Therefore, running up the score against a non-contender like Norway has no chance of mattering. I think the reason for the structure is precisely to avoid a situation where standings are decided by who ran up the score most against a weak team. So I don't think there was any benefit at all from running up the score against Norway. I think the tie-breaker is system is good. I like having the incentive to continue trying to score instead of trying to  run out the clock in a one-goal game. I just don't like the embarrassing double-digit wins. So I think the IIHF has the incentives right and I still don't like the Canada approach against Norway.

Tie breaking formula

The tie-breaking system for two teams with the same number of points in a standing will be the game between the two teams, the winner of the game taking precedence. 

Due to the fact that the three-point system does not allow a game to end in a tie, then the following tie breaking procedure is applicable when three or more teams are tied in points in a Championship standing.

Should three or more teams be tied on points, then a tie breaking formula will be applied as follows, creating a sub-group amongst the tied teams. This process will continue until only two or none of the teams remain tied. In the case of two tied teams remaining, the game between the two would then be the determining tie-breaker as the game could not end as a tie. In the case of none of the teams being tied, the criteria specified in the respective step applies.

Step 1: Taking into consideration the games between each of the tied teams, a sub-group is created applying the points awarded in the direct games amongst the tied teams from which the teams are then ranked accordingly.

Step 2: Should three or more teams still remain tied in points then the better goal difference in the direct games amongst the tied teams will be decisive. 

Step 3: Should three or more teams still remain tied in points and goal difference then the highest number of goals scored by these teams in their direct games will be decisive

Step 4: Should three or more teams still remain tied in points, goal difference and goals scored then the results between each of the three teams and the closest best-ranked team outside the sub-group will be applied. In this case the tied team with the best result (1. points, 2. goal difference, 3. more goals scored) against the closest best ranked-team will take precedence

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1