The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

With Demko out 7-10 days I think theres a very good chance we see DiPietro play against LA on the 14th.

Second of a back to back in a busy schedule. I really hope we get a chance to see him play even if its not to the best result haha. Could do him wonders moving forward

I don't see any non-injury scenario where Dipietro plays.  They're in a playoff race, I highly doubt they'll a) throw him to the wolves or b) risk those 2 points

25 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

With Demko out 7-10 days I think theres a very good chance we see DiPietro play against LA on the 14th.

Second of a back to back in a busy schedule. I really hope we get a chance to see him play even if its not to the best result haha. Could do him wonders moving forward

Very unlikely, markstrom will probably play both. 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see any non-injury scenario where Dipietro plays.  They're in a playoff race, I highly doubt they'll a) throw him to the wolves or b) risk those 2 points

haha we'll definitely have another injury if we play Markstrom the amount your referring to. We just played Marky a back to back and now have 5 games in the next 8 days. Unless we get a goalie in a trade I don't see a way DiPietro's not getting a game.

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha we'll definitely have another injury if we play Markstrom the amount your referring to. We just played Marky a back to back and now have 5 games in the next 8 days. Unless we get a goalie in a trade I don't see a way DiPietro's not getting a game.

The need is there, I agree, but they played Marky that much when Nilsson was injured and Bachman was up.  I'm not saying it's a good idea, but that's likely how it will play out.  marky is pretty durable

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

The need is there, I agree, but they played Marky that much when Nilsson was injured and Bachman was up.  I'm not saying it's a good idea, but that's likely how it will play out.  marky is pretty durable

Ya I guess we'll see, but I cant see it happening considering the amount he's already played this year and how the Canucks will want him non-exhausted and healthy down the stretch.

Dipietro is the 5th netminder in the last 15 years to make his NHL debut as a teenager. Only one of those other four netminders had a save percentage of above .900 and he played in just 36 minutes of a single game.

The aggregate averages/totals of these four goalies is as follows:

.878 save percentage

14 games played

9 games started

2 wins

7 losses

There's a reason teenage goaltenders don't play in the NHL. Mikey will look much better 2-4 years down the road with some AHL seasoning.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I think DiPietro battled back hard...….pretty much eye opening for him

Some really goofy goals

Some where we broke down and gave up quality scoring chances, against a quality team

He now has a measuring stick....albeit broken

He has just got to laugh this one off

I am sure his team-mates will be given him some love

Not concerned for him at all....$hit happens

More concerned for Marky...hopefully it is just temporary

Welcome to the bigs! Mike

Don't loose any sleep over it! See you in 3 or 4 years!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Dipietro is the 5th netminder in the last 15 years to make his NHL debut as a teenager. Only one of those other four netminders had a save percentage of above .900 and he played in just 36 minutes of a single game.

The aggregate averages/totals of these four goalies is as follows:

.878 save percentage

14 games played

9 games started

2 wins

7 losses

There's a reason teenage goaltenders don't play in the NHL. Mikey will look much better 2-4 years down the road with some AHL seasoning.

I agree. Its like he went from Grade 7 straight to University. Its a massive jump of competition, from playing Major Junior to going up against a top 3 NHL team loaded with stars. Showed some nice moxy tonight despite all the goals, im not too worried about MIkey

Maybe it'll end in another lopsided game, but I really hope DiPietro gets the start on Wednesday. He deserves another chance before going down. And the team needs a wake up call in terms of how they play in front of their goalie. To play like that while knowing you have a 19 year old in net says a lot.

DiPietro deserves to go out on a high note. 

2 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

Maybe it'll end in another lopsided game, but I really hope DiPietro gets the start on Wednesday. He deserves another chance before going down. And the team needs a wake up call in terms of how they play in front of their goalie. To play like that while knowing you have a 19 year old in net says a lot.

DiPietro deserves to go out on a high note. 

Cmon lol. A lotof those goals are on him man. Even the hutton one. You cant tell.me you watched last game amd out all the blame on everyone else. 

HE'S NOT READY. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Cmon lol. A lotof those goals are on him man. Even the hutton one. You cant tell.me you watched last game amd out all the blame on everyone else. 

HE'S NOT READY. 

He's definitely not ready nobody would say otherwise but a lot of those goals were fluky and weird. You can't tell me you watched last game and blamed DiPietro for that Hutton goal. LOL. At best I'd say 3 of those goals are on DiPietro (and even then those were 2 on 1 breaks) but he never should have played that game to begin with. "Teenager with no pro experience? Lets throw him to arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. On home ice."

This is not a rare thing for rookie Goalies to get shelled in their 1st NHL game, let alone as a 19 year old. Some may point to how Hart has done for Philly, difference being though he played the 1st half of this year in the AHL.

It was a rough go for Mikey last night, the team didn't do much to help him either though. This 1 outing is not going to determine his career going forward. He is going to need 2-3 years in the AHL honing his skills and getting use to the pace and skill level of players at the pro level. This brief stint in Vancouver and last spring with team Canada is rare for a Goalie to get a taste of and should only help him in his development.

Some constructive criticism if you can all it that even is tho...As a Goalie who is smaller in stature I think he might have to try and change his style of play. He does go down very earlier and it leaves a large open target above his shoulders, it was easy pickings for the Sharks last night. But, he is athletic and seems like a determined Kid, so best of luck to him finishing his OHL season strong and developing in Utica next year as the back up.

This whole Goalie situation should have not gotten to this point. Freak injuries happen, GM JB has known for 5 weeks he had nothing to possibly fall back on since moving Nilsson and losing Mckenna on waivers. Sure he probably thought Philly would waive him soon, but right after he got claimed all GM JB had to do was go out and sign a veteran goalie. We could have signed Leighton a month ago, or someone younger with NHL experience like Mason. Just as a back up plan, worst case what you waive and or release and terminate that contract if Mckenna was to get waived?

Even more recently when Demko got hurt they should have signed a goalie to an NHL deal to back up Marky. But I digress...

Keep your chin up Mikey, it wasn't a great 1st NHL start, but your 19 not 25 so keep grinding away and put this game behind you.

• Upvote 2

He goes down way to much, but i know its his style...but it can bite u in the azz alot...hopefully he will learn and stand up abit more, but when i watched him play, he was always down 85% of the time, maybe more ....but he didnt do to well for such short notice he was playing, def sucked in front of him asusual .....he wont be a carter hart whos what 20? something like that for awile

Hopefully next time he plays, things go better

• Upvote 1