The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

JB should not have waited 5 weeks after the Nilsson trade to do something about the goalie depth.  Hope is hot a good managerial strategy yet that is the path he chose to take.

1. Hope that McKenna will pass through waivers after trading Nisson for him.
  2. Hope that neither Markstrom or Demko will get injured while we wait for the Flyers to put McKenna back on waivers.
  3. Hope that Demko's injury is only day to day.
  4. Hope that Markstrom doesn't get injured before Demko is back.
  5. Hope that DiPietro can handle a game or two in the NHL
  6. Hope that this whole mess will fix itself before I have to actually do something.

I'm sure that DiPietro loved getting the opportunity to play an NHL game but it is up to Benning to guard against putting this kid into that situation.  

Excellent post.  Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

Almost the exact same situation happened last year with Demko but nobody complains about that because we barely grinded out a win.

Demko got off the plane and was thrown into a game against Columbus, the hottest team in the league at the time as they had won like 9 straight or something. After that game I expressed concern in how coaching/management handled that decision and how lucky we were that it didn't blow up in our face (it got close with Columbus lighting us up to tie it late in the 3rd). After that game people had the mindset that throwing a kid to the wolves was appropriate to see if they survive.

The situations aren't the exact same however. Demko had years of AHL experience before his call up and it was still a risky move, so the CHL goalie would be even worse. However, I don't think Green had a choice on this one whereas he chose to put Demko in last year. This does reflect poorly on management though as they couldn't get a replacement in time.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Look at the VGK last year or PHI this year. Excrement happens.

It's certainly not ideal and you'd prefer he wasn't forced to play last night, particularly against one of the top teams in the league (and with the lousy effort from his team mates) but it is what it is. Sucks a bit for him now but he seems like the type of kid that will absorb info from this less than ideal situation and use it to improve in the long run.

No doubt. I'm pulling for the kid. I just think it could've been avoided given that management had a month to prepare since McKenna was claimed.

Also, just saw the trade for Marek Mazanec. Glad to hear that they're doing something about it.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, if we were playing Arizona or something that would have at least been alright, but exactly my point with San Jose. Of all the game to feed him to the wolves, that's not exactly a game you want to have to sink or swim in as your first game in my opinion.

Exactly. Would've been nice to start him against the Ducks tomorrow. They're only the coldest team in the league right now.

10 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

Maybe it'll end in another lopsided game, but I really hope DiPietro gets the start on Wednesday. He deserves another chance before going down. And the team needs a wake up call in terms of how they play in front of their goalie. To play like that while knowing you have a 19 year old in net says a lot.

DiPietro deserves to go out on a high note. 

As much as I'd like to see Mikey D get another chance, as well as the team in from of him another chance to show better in front of him, I would be absolutely shocked if he was given another start. Even if Marky is unable to go, don't see the organization wanting to risk any chance of putting him through that again.

Just now, canucklehead80 said:

As much as I'd like to see Mikey D get another chance, as well as the team in from of him another chance to show better in front of him, I would be absolutely shocked if he was given another start. Even if Marky is unable to go, don't see the organization wanting to risk any chance of putting him through that again.

So if ?Marky is not ready to go next game, does he still backup the new guy, and risk having to play?  

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

What do you mean they couldn't get a replacement in time? They found a replacement - it was DiPietro.

Ppl are losing their minds over one bad game from a 19 yo prospect. If he can't handle getting shelled once then he doesn't have what it takes between the ears to be a NHL goalie ever. All goalies take their lumps.

What should be more concerning is the piss poor effort by the team in front of their prospect goalie.

I don't think that game will destroy DiPietro, but it definitely wasn't as beneficial as playing in the OHL and adjusting to a brand new team after getting traded. 

Even with that, having 3 goalies under contract (not counting Bachman because he was shut down for the year a long time ago) is not adequate depth and it should've been addressed much sooner. 

In addition, DiPietro was just knocked out in the quarters by Finland while playing for Canada, a heartbreaking loss. Why not prevent a situation that would likely compound that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't think that game will destroy DiPietro, but it definitely wasn't as beneficial as playing in the OHL and adjusting to a brand new team after getting traded. 

Even with that, having 3 goalies under contract (not counting Bachman because he was shut down for the year a long time ago) is not adequate depth and it should've been addressed much sooner. 

In addition, DiPietro was just knocked out in the quarters by Finland while playing for Canada, a heartbreaking loss. Why not prevent a situation that would likely compound that?

I guess athletes are fragile snowflakes now too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I guess athletes are fragile snowflakes now too.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

No. They're human beings that often rely on confidence like other human beings. 

Exactly. 

Confidence is a resource just like sleep, fitness, nutrition, etc and it makes a difference in how people play. Some people don't need a lot (Kessel isn't a fitness freak for example) and some people do (Laine), but taking that away from someone is only a negative. 

DiPietro came, got nhl pay, learned from Markstrom and the goalie coach, saw what the best team in the nhl (Arguably right now) can do, and can only learn from this experience. Guys, he's a 2017 draft pick.... this does not define his career. People acting like this will ruin his confidence, or that they saw things they didn't like therefore are counting him out already, are ridiculous. He's clearly a minimum 3 years away.

Me personally, I liked a lot of things I saw. For exemple, his acrobatic save attempt on that 4th goal (i think it was the 4th im not sure anymore) was a very positive sign of his athletic ability. Very intriguing prospect

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Cold hard truth: Guy is too small to be an NHL goalie. That Hutton defection goal doesnt happen to a 6'2 + tendy. Goes over his short little head lol.... it wasnt a coincidence the sharks stuck to high shots.... the prototypical NHL goalie is like 6'4 now. Id rather stick with one of those... 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, seeteesee said:

Cold hard truth: Guy is too small to be an NHL goalie. That Hutton defection goal doesnt happen to a 6'2 + tendy. Goes over his short little head lol.... it wasnt a coincidence the sharks stuck to high shots.... the prototypical NHL goalie is like 6'4 now. Id rather stick with one of those... 

Tweet this to Mikey -- he'd probably love to make it a poster.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Specz said:

Lol, u guys realize this is the kid that set a reminder for himself that he was CUT from the Canadian Junior team then worked his way to become the undeniable #1 for team Canada the year after right? You are absolutely correct if you think Mikey will remember last night’s shelling for many nights to come but it will be for the best and the next time we see him again, be ready to be wowed.

The North Remembers. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, seeteesee said:

haha this is absurd. Kids 19, and this was his first Pro game in any pro league. Not to mention the Canucks were terrible defensively in front of him and he had no time to prepare and get mentally ready for the game. Almost any goalie would get lit up with the way our defence played.

DiPietro at 6'0 is somewhat undersized, but Quick, Lundqvist, Howard, Casey DeSmith and Hutton are all around the 6'0-6'1 range. Cant tell me that some of these guys aren't NHL starting goalies and in some cases superstars.