The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

2 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

With Mazanec and Leighton both UFAs, does Mikey go to Utica or spend another year in junior next season? Curious what people think.

My guess is Canucks resign another vet NHL goalie for Utica and send Bachman to ECHL if needed. DiPietro will backup and slowly take more games as he develops at the AHL level.

But he will be in the AHL next season.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

My guess is Canucks resign another vet NHL goalie for Utica and send Bachman to ECHL if needed. DiPietro will backup and slowly take more games as he develops at the AHL level.

I hear comparisons to the King’S goalie.  What’s his name?  Anyway, i like our kid, but dowonder if short guys can be NHL to notch goalies anymore?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hear comparisons to the King’S goalie.  What’s his name?  Anyway, i like our kid, but dowonder if short guys can be NHL to notch goalies anymore?  

Saros (Nashville) is doing well, it helps when you have a very strong defensive core in front of you. Maybe it's because we're use to seeing 6'6" monsters in net, but I was at the Sharks game that DiPietro played and when he went down there was a LOT of open net up stairs. Shooters are just too good these days. I wish him all the best but he has a bunch of work to do and a long road ahead of him.

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Zero chance that Bachman will be in the ECHL next season.  Only players on their ELC NHL contracts can be assigned to the ECHL without the player's consent. Bacher isn't about to agree to that.  Besides he is selling his house in Colorado and buying a house in the Utica area.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

It's been a couple of days since taking a puck to the head. Any news ?

“They did it despite losing ace goalie Mikey DiPietro with a shot off the bottom of his mask in the opening minutes and the good news is the mid-season acquisition is fine and will be good to go when the playoffs start next Friday.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/67s-falls-to-petes-inch-closer-to-franchise-points-record-as-dipietro-leaves-game/wcm/92b14eb1-d8ab-4d65-bfcc-8fea91832c93/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

“They did it despite losing ace goalie Mikey DiPietro with a shot off the bottom of his mask in the opening minutes and the good news is the mid-season acquisition is fine and will be good to go when the playoffs start next Friday.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/67s-falls-to-petes-inch-closer-to-franchise-points-record-as-dipietro-leaves-game/wcm/92b14eb1-d8ab-4d65-bfcc-8fea91832c93/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Wonder if Ottawa starts with Cedric Andree and ride him for the playoffs considering he was their guy before they acquired Mikey.  Its been a tandem since the acquisition but I have a sense they will likely let Andree have his go and Mikey is an insurance plan. 

13 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wonder if Ottawa starts with Cedric Andree and ride him for the playoffs considering he was their guy before they acquired Mikey.  Its been a tandem since the acquisition but I have a sense they will likely let Andree have his go and Mikey is an insurance plan. 

I dont think so, it says ace right in the quote and it sounds like he will be ready for playoffs. You dont give up that many second rounders for a backup goalie.  

Dont forget Dipietro already has a memorial cup. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think so, it says ace right in the quote and it sounds like he will be ready for playoffs. You dont give up that many second rounders for a backup goalie.  

Dont forget Dipietro already has a memorial cup. 

DiPietro got the start. Currently leading 5-2 in the third.

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2019 at 6:41 PM, Alflives said:

I'll think you'll see it become more of a thing again as the league continues to get faster. Things happen so fast I truly believe the athleticism of smaller guys will have value again in net. Big athletic goalies will always have favor, but I don't think pure technical ability will work as well going forward. The ability to make a desperation save will be a must.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I'll think you'll see it become more of a thing again as the league continues to get faster. Things happen so fast I truly believe the athleticism of smaller guys will have value again in net. Big athletic goalies will always have favor, but I don't think pure technical ability will work as well going forward. The ability to make a desperation save will be a must.

I don't think "small" goalies have went out of style. You look at all the cup winning goalies over the last decade and they all are of the 6' to 6'2" range. Quick, Crawford, Fleury, Holtby... the only cup winning goalie above that mark is Matt Murray in Pitts...and he benefited from Fleury being on those cup teams both times. Other than Murray all goalies who have won the cup in the last 2 decades are not of this behemoth type goalie movement. The larger type are good goalies in their own right but I truely do think to be over the top good you need that athletisism that big goalies just don't have the luxury to play like, as when they start moving like that they open up large gaps and pucks start to go in. It's why they are taught to focus more on gap control and being positionally sound than anything else...here's some more cup winning goalies of the "smaller" type..Broudeur, Niemi, Giguere, Ward, Hasek, Osgood,Khabibulin...it's quite the list. I guess to summarize, small goalies win cups, big goalies get to the dance but never win...why, hell if I know. But I think athletisism and the ability to make desperation saves is part of it.

• Upvote 2