The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

Mikey doing what he’s done all playoffs. Perfect 10/10 saves in the first period tonight. Ottawa leads 2-0 after 20 minutes (and they could’ve been leading by 4 or 5).

“If he sees it, he stops it.” 

This kid has been so dialed in for first periods. I dunno what his stats are now, but probably around 0.970 sv% in first periods for the playoffs. Give a team like Ottawa the chance to grab the lead most games, and they are gonna win. Tough to come back against a team with that much firepower up front, and backed up by a brick wall in net.

Still 40 minutes to play, and not gonna get too ahead of myself here. Guelph are a tough opponent and they’re certainly capable of breaking the 67s’ winning streak. But so far, looks like Mikey and the boys are just gonna keep on rolling. 

Also, here’s a nice feature on DiPietro from The Score: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1763498/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/2/2019 at 8:50 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Mikey doing what he’s done all playoffs. Perfect 10/10 saves in the first period tonight. Ottawa leads 2-0 after 20 minutes (and they could’ve been leading by 4 or 5).

“If he sees it, he stops it.” 

This kid has been so dialed in for first periods. I dunno what his stats are now, but probably around 0.970 sv% in first periods for the playoffs. Give a team like Ottawa the chance to grab the lead most games, and they are gonna win. Tough to come back against a team with that much firepower up front, and backed up by a brick wall in net.

Still 40 minutes to play, and not gonna get too ahead of myself here. Guelph are a tough opponent and they’re certainly capable of breaking the 67s’ winning streak. But so far, looks like Mikey and the boys are just gonna keep on rolling. 

Also, here’s a nice feature on DiPietro from The Score: https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1763498/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Dipietro has an intangible element to his game.  Not the biggest goalie and has an unorthodox style but he is a guy that gets into the head of opponents.  

This guy could be that goalie that wins a con  smythe one day.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Specz said:

Jimbo please don’t trade Mikey this off season...

I don't want JB to trade any goalie this year.  Unless a unbelievable player is coming back.  Marky needs to stick around and Demko is in an ideal back up situation.  Dipeitro is untouchable atm and is such an ace in the hole for our future.  

We are set in goal.  Our forwards are ready to take a step and our defense needs a wholesale upgrade.  

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I don't want JB to trade any goalie this year.  Unless a unbelievable player is coming back.  Marky needs to stick around and Demko is in an ideal back up situation.  Dipeitro is untouchable atm and is such an ace in the hole for our future.  

We are set in goal.  Our forwards are ready to take a step and our defense needs a wholesale upgrade.  

I'd stop short of 'wholesale'. Stecher is a keeper, Edler a steady, sheltering and mentoring vet and Hughes and OJ look awful promising.

Those guys don't need changing out, they need upgrades around them.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Dipietro has an intangible element to his game.  Not the biggest goalie and has an unorthodox style but he is a guy that gets into the head of opponents.  

This guy could be that goalie that wins a con  smythe one day.  

His comparable is Quick, isn’t it?  That’s one heck of a goalie in his prime.  

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

DiPietro just left the ice late in the 1st period. Looked really, really ugly. Was down for a while and couldn't put any weight at all on his right leg as he was helped off the ice. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looks....

Well there it is. I would officially like to congratulate Mikey on finally becoming a Canuck prospect!

Official word is DiPietro will not return for the remainder of the game. They’re calling it lower body injury and not giving any details on the severity. Tough break (no pun intended, fingers crossed) for the 67’s.

Lucky for Ottawa they have a quality young goaltender in Cedrick Andree. He’s not your typical “backup” as he was Ottawa’s starter all year, until Dipietro was acquired, and is more than capable of stepping in.

Hopefully the injury isn’t as bad as it looked and DiPietro isn’t done for the playoffs.