The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

10 minutes ago, suitup said:

Hahaha same. Yeah I agree on the age barrier deal too. Again, I really think the best way to go about it is to just give every NHL team the opportunity to allow a CHL prospect go straight to the AHL upon being drafted in the 1st round only IF that NHL team sees fit, AND under the condition that the NHL team has not already used this grant on another prospect one or two years prior. As for financial compensation, the richest teams in the CHL only makes about 500k a year, so I believe even 200k as compensation should be enough. 

Maybe even install an additional rule on top of that, one where no CHL team can lose more than 1 or 2 players to the AHL in 2 years. If there are more than one NHL teams trying to buy out a player from the same team, that CHL team can decide which one to snub. 

yup something like that is totally fair. I really don't think it would erode the CHL fan bases, they are usually in places where its the only game in town and they will still get a lot of good players to watch. 

49 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

yup something like that is totally fair. I really don't think it would erode the CHL fan bases, they are usually in places where its the only game in town and they will still get a lot of good players to watch. 

Definitely, for sure. Everybody, please vote for me as the next commissioner of the NHL. I vow to make the National Hockey League great again. I will bring more CHL jobs to the AHL. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Even in cities too. Do I want to spend $100 on basic seats watching the Oilers at Rogers Place, or great seats at $35 with the Oil Kings, and I can cheer for the Oil Kings.

7 minutes ago, suitup said:

Definitely, for sure. Everybody, please vote for me as the next commissioner of the NHL. I vow to make the National Hockey League great again. I will bring more CHL jobs to the AHL. 

+1 i'm out already today 

1 minute ago, hyper00 said:

Even in cities too. Do I want to spend $100 on basic seats watching the Oilers at Rogers Place, or great seats at $35 with the Oil Kings, and I can cheer for the Oil Kings.

I'd be thrilled if the Comets moved to east van. I'd definitely get season tix. 

2 hours ago, suitup said:

Hahaha same. Yeah I agree on the age barrier deal too. Again, I really think the best way to go about it is to just give every NHL team the opportunity to allow a CHL prospect go straight to the AHL upon being drafted in the 1st round only IF that NHL team sees fit, AND under the condition that the NHL team has not already used this grant on another prospect one or two years prior. As for financial compensation, the richest teams in the CHL only makes about 500k a year, so I believe even 200k as compensation should be enough. 

Maybe even install an additional rule on top of that, one where no CHL team can lose more than 1 or 2 players to the AHL in 2 years. If there are more than one NHL teams trying to buy out a player from the same team, that CHL team can decide which one to snub. 

Probably a terrible idea but how about pay the CHL team who owns the rights of the player the difference between said player's AHL and NHL salaries? Salary, not including any bonuses and whatnot. So it would be something like 75K paid to the player and 875K to the CHL (can't remember exactly what the numbers look like on an ELC). The team is gonna have to pay that total sum to keep the player in the NHL anyway. This way they get optimal development.

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Probably a terrible idea but how about pay the CHL team who owns the rights of the player the difference between said player's AHL and NHL salaries? Salary, not including any bonuses and whatnot. So it would be something like 75K paid to the player and 875K to the CHL (can't remember exactly what the numbers look like on an ELC). The team is gonna have to pay that total sum to keep the player in the NHL anyway. This way they get optimal development.

That is actually not a bad idea at all. For a CHL team to receive 875K for one player already meets more than 3 times ticket revenues for most teams. From a financial standpoint, I can't imagine the CHL saying no. I believe with the limits this proposal puts on promoting a player and the financial compensation given to both the player and the CHL team, it's definitely fair to all parties and keeps the CHL more than financially sustainable.

Honestly, this extra capital can go towards better compensating junior players in food, clothing, equipment, and really allow any talented players who can barely afford to play to continue pursuing their dreams. A kid like Cody Glass drafted top 6 almost didn't make it because of financial reasons, and I highly doubt he's the only one. 

Wow, actually though... this should be considered. Haha

36 minutes ago, suitup said:

That is actually not a bad idea at all. For a CHL team to receive 875K for one player already meets more than 3 times ticket revenues for most teams. From a financial standpoint, I can't imagine the CHL saying no. I believe with the limits this proposal puts on promoting a player and the financial compensation given to both the player and the CHL team, it's definitely fair to all parties and keeps the CHL more than financially sustainable.

Honestly, this extra capital can go towards better compensating junior players in food, clothing, equipment, and really allow any talented players who can barely afford to play to continue pursuing their dreams. A kid like Cody Glass drafted top 6 almost didn't make it because of financial reasons, and I highly doubt he's the only one. 

Wow, actually though... this should be considered. Haha

I thought it was actually kind of clever but I'm not sure some of the poorer teams in the NHL would go for it. I imagine there's probably been instances where a cash-strapped team sent a player back to junior simply to avoid having to pay them now and to delay paying them bigger money down the road. Similar to how poorer MLB teams will keep top prospects, who are undeniably ready for major league ball, down in the minors for the same reason. Other than that I can't find much wrong with it.

Then again, the NHL and all that it entails (teams, NHLPA, BOG, etc) have people much smarter and more educated than me working for them...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If the NHL is successful with reducing goalie equipment and making puck stopping, more about skill than bulk, this kid might really be a timely selection for the team.

I really believe for a smaller, more athletic, goalie to make a comeback the nets will need to be bigger.  Otherwise the larger guys still will just block shots, much like a lacrosse goalie.  Still love the pick though.  No reason he couldn't become an excellent bargaining piece down the road.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really believe for a smaller, more athletic, goalie to make a comeback the nets will need to be bigger.  Otherwise the larger guys still will just block shots, much like a lacrosse goalie.  Still love the pick though.  No reason he couldn't become an excellent bargaining piece down the road.

Net size won't change, but if the roll back on equipment works, you might see the larger guys have more trouble in net. There's a number of them who stop pucks, just because they turn themselves into the Michelin man. If the NHL is committed to making the position more about skill again, I think smaller goalies will get a chance again.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Net size won't change, but if the roll back on equipment works, you might see the larger guys have more trouble in net. There's a number of them who stop pucks, just because they turn themselves into the Michelin man. If the NHL is committed to making the position more about skill again, I think smaller goalies will get a chance again.

They NHL must limit the height of the leg pads.  The taller guys can go into their butterfly and literally cover the entire bottom of the net, and not leave any room in the five hole.  Either shorten the leg pads to create space in the five holes, or widen the nets an inch to create space in the bottom corners.  

Just now, Alflives said:

They NHL must limit the height of the leg pads.  The taller guys can go into their butterfly and literally cover the entire bottom of the net, and not leave any room in the five hole.  Either shorten the leg pads to create space in the five holes, or widen the nets an inch to create space in the bottom corners.  

I remember a picture in 2003, when NJ won the cup against Anaheim, and Brodeur was shaking hands with Giguère. Brodeur is an inch taller, but Giguère's shoulders stuck up about 2 inches higher than Brodeur. That's all Giguère was, all padding. Really hoping that this changes and we see the return of athletic goaltenders.

Sick of reading about his height. He is not small. Jesus Christ...

Jacob Markstrom is a beast at 6'6 and he's barely adequate at this level.

"Law of averages states..." blah blah. This stuff is getting ridiculous.

This is a position that takes complete dedication/commitment to a very specific role with only one main objective. Everybody knows what that is.

Anybody with Michael's skillset over 5'11 has the potential to be an NHL netminder, height will not be the determining factor for his career success...

I'll admit to not knowing much about him other than being a top ranked NA goaltender and winning the Mem. cup. But in watching his highlight package, the kid has incredible edgework and can push off with the best of 'em. One of the best skating goalies I've seen.

Nothing other than that really looks elite, but he's a winner and competitor. Welcome to Vancouver, Dipietro.

All that said, Thatcher Demko does happen to be 6'3-6'4 with elite skills, and I wish any goalie good luck trying to compete for a spot with somebody like him... lol

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

All that said, Thatcher Demko does happen to be 6'3-6'4 with elite skills, and I wish any goalie good luck trying to compete for a spot with somebody like him... lol

To be fair, I think it's more a matter of having a backup plan in case Demko doesn't pan out then direct competition between the two, as goalies do take quite a while to develop and Demko has 4 years of development of DiPietro.

DiPietro has heart and he will help win us our long awaiting Stanley Cup. The two of them (Demko & DiPietro) will make a dynamic duo! Both helping the other with their game. No one will be able to get it past our double D's!!

Markstrom bridges the gap untill these guys are ready. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

If equipment is changed to set dimensions instead of %'s the smaller more athletic goalies would be instantly better.  They might even not have to wear smaller gear....

Sounds like this kid has potential and is a battles hard. That quote about him standing up for himself when he was told he was too small for the nhl shows he as mental toughness which might be a successful goalie's most important attribute.  Hope he makes it.

12 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Devil's advocate here.   So much is learned in CHL that is valuable and different than AHL or any other brand of pro hockey.   You also forget many of these players are completing Grade 12 or equivalent and living with billets who make sure they have food and such (thanks Katie and Bob!!!!).    

Some me may be ready for pro but most are not.  I know most of you see these players as commodities but remember they are kids and having that time with guys own age is some great times and is not hurting development.   

I would instead prefer to see the draft age raised a year.   Then after drafting pro can be an option versus a final junior year.

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Devil's advocate here.   So much is learned in CHL that is valuable and different than AHL or any other brand of pro hockey.   You also forget many of these players are completing Grade 12 or equivalent and living with billets who make sure they have food and such (thanks Katie and Bob!!!!).    

Some me may be ready for pro but most are not.  I know most of you see these players as commodities but remember they are kids and having that time with guys own age is some great times and is not hurting development.   

I would instead prefer to see the draft age raised a year.   Then after drafting pro can be an option versus a final junior year.

Thats an interesting option too. I wouldn't want to see all 18 year olds get pressured to play in the AHL, that could be disastrous. But for a few, and I think Virtanen is in this category, more WHL time e.g., wouldn't do them much good from a skills pov, but time in the AHL would. Particularly a guy like Jake that could protect himself physically. 

I don't see them as commodities, I wouldn't pay to watch them or take interest in their personal stories if that was the case and i think most people are in that camp. It just seems like there are exceptions to the general age rule that surely there could be a way to accommodate. E.g., the CHL allows over age guys to play with some pretty young kids, that has to present as much risk as letting a guy like Virtanen join the AHL at 19, but I'm also looking at this from the pov of a total outsider, I never made it past beer league :lol: 

Edited by S'all Good Man