Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, The Lock said:

How is it obnoxious? Perhaps you can go into details about what actually makes you think it's obnoxious? If you want to lump me in the same category just because I disagree with you that's your call, but it doesn't change what I think.

 

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree with this. I don't agree with your response to him as much as you don't agree with his response to the other guys. Perhaps even my response to you could be classed as arrogant too. There you go, we're all arrogant snobs. Yay.

Thanks Lock. I never intended any insult. Too much of the "I have the right to be insulted" when none was intended. Maybe the unintended consequence of Political Correctness. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, Qwags said:

If DiPietro grows stronger with every battle with adversity, I expect him to win several Vezinas and Conn Smythes with us.

Gonna be honest, didn't think this warranted a sarcasm sign. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I thought this way too.....up until this season.   I have seen him transform his style and now I think he has a legitimate shot.     If you have played/coached then what do you notice about his game now in compare to last year?   I see a lot of subtle items that are having substantive influence on his potential to transfer to the pro game at the highest level.   Interested to hear what you do and don't see in that regard.   Rare to get to discuss with another goalie who has played more than rec hockey on this forum.

Hey Rob. Casey de smith of the penguins is the smallest starting nhl goalie at 6 feet. The tallest is Ben bishop at 6 foot 7. Many are 6 foot 4 or 5 or 6. In fact the average is 6 foot 3. 

Why is this? Back in my day 6 foot was fine even big for a goalie. The reason is the stand-up style then.

With the change to butterfly nhl goalies needed to get bigger. They set up lower with a wider stance to take away the lower part of the net. So having more upper body became important.  Kids playing junior can get away being smaller cuz the shooters aren't as able to go bar down consistently.

My comments on Dipietro were generic just to bring some focus to an issue and maybe get some posters to see some reality.  If he is 6 ft (and he may be a little shorter) he is up against the odds to make the bigs.

I think he seems like a great kid and I wish him well. But he can't play as small as he is playing.  He will have to adjust his stance and his posture or he will get beat high. That will take a lot of work. His athleticism and attitude give him a chance but I think he is going to have a bumpy road starting next year in the AHL.

Personally I'd like every young goalie with a great attitude to make it. But of course most don't.  

 

Wrt  your specific questions I would say this. Every goalie learns to position themselves from experience.  Their set up distance between the shooter and goal becomes inate through learned experience. This is a function of their size as well. Shorter goalies have a tendency to challenge more cuz they know their own ability to cover the net and have learned how high they need to come to cover the top of the net. Young goalies get away with some of this and Dipietro is going to struggle to find his new balance starting next year as the competition level raises. Bigger goalies can play further back (as their inate set up spot has been established further back comfortably through learned history) 

Ok lol. Don't want to drone on here. Thx.

 

 

Edited by fanfor42
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Hey Rob. Casey de smith of the penguins is the smallest starting nhl goalie at 6 feet. The tallest is Ben bishop at 6 foot 7. Many are 6 foot 4 or 5 or 6. In fact the average is 6 foot 3. 

Why is this? Back in my day 6 foot was fine even big for a goalie. The reason is the stand-up style then.

With the change to butterfly nhl goalies needed to get bigger. They set up lower with a wider stance to take away the lower part of the net. So having more upper body became important.  Kids playing junior can get away being smaller cuz the shooters aren't as able to go bar down consistently.

My comments on Dipietro were generic just to bring some focus to an issue and maybe get some posters to see some reality.  If he is 6 ft (and he may be a little shorter) he is up against the odds to make the bigs.

I think he seems like a great kid and I wish him well. But he can't play as small as he is playing.  He will have to adjust his stance and his posture or he will get beat high. That will take a lot of work. His athleticism and attitude give him a chance but I think he is going to have a bumpy road starting next year in the AHL.

Personally I'd like every young goalie with a great attitude to make it. But of course most don't.  

 

Wrt  your specific questions I would say this. Every goalie learns to position themselves from experience.  Their set up distance between the shooter and goal becomes inate through learned experience. This is a function of their size as well. Shorter goalies have a tendency to challenge more cuz they know their own ability to cover the net and have learned how high they need to come to cover the top of the net. Young goalies get away with some of this and Dipietro is going to struggle to find his new balance starting next year as the competition level raises. Bigger goalies can play further back (as their inate set up spot has been established further back comfortably through learned history) 

Ok lol. Don't want to drone on here. Thx.

 

 

Your evaluation is pretty much where I was last year on this kid but have evolved my perspective after watching his playoff run (each game feed after the fact).   Kevin wrote this earlier this year and it is an interesting piece you as a goalie may also find interesting.   Cheers!

 

https://www.nhl.com/news/shorter-goalies-find-niche-in-what-has-become-big-mans-position-in-nhl/c-297239132

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

“If DiPietro is there you have to take him. We have to.” Judd Brackett

 

Kind of why I’m annoyed we added a 3rd in the Miller trade. DiPietro and Madden are the kind of gems Judd can find in round 3.

Edited by ThaManbeast
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThaManbeast said:

“If DiPietro is there you have to take him. We have to.” Judd Brackett

 

Kind of why I’m annoyed we added a 3rd in the Miller trade. DiPietro and Madden are the kind of gems Judd can find in round 3.

I don't disagree but Miller is a proven top 6 guy that can help us now and in the future. In his contract year he could fetch a pretty penny!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 5:59 AM, ThaManbeast said:

“If DiPietro is there you have to take him. We have to.” Judd Brackett

 

Kind of why I’m annoyed we added a 3rd in the Miller trade. DiPietro and Madden are the kind of gems Judd can find in round 3.

because Miller is a former 1st rounder who has proven himself to be a consistent top 6 scoring fwd.......you have to pay to get those and if adding a long shot pick in a 3rd rounder is what it takes, you do it.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Can’t wait for the season to start!

 

 

I kinda hate doing this, but I’m gonna talk about the “body” of a young man who’s our prospect. :sadno:

 

When you look at Mikey, you can see how he’s not your typical 6’0” goalie. He’s quite wide at the shoulders and has long arms, a long torso, and shorter legs. His wingspan is actually just a hair under 78 inches, or roughly the same as 6’4” Jake Oettinger.

 

As DiPietro continues to hone his technique, he’s likely going to be able to provide similar net coverage to that of a much taller goalie.

 

He body is just “built” much taller than his height suggests.

 

(And yeah, I’m aware of how creepy some of this sounds. I hate talking about these kids this way, but just wanted to point it out, as the picture clearly shows how wide and rangy he is.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2019 at 7:01 AM, RetroCanuck said:

I don't disagree but Miller is a proven top 6 guy that can help us now and in the future. In his contract year he could fetch a pretty penny!

Yeah, Brackett seems to find value at every level - but we can only sign 50. There are lot of pretty talented guys we did not sign after they finished junior or college - we always seem to be short of spaces under 50 - and then they find those gems like Tanev, MacEwen, Rafferty, and so on that are amateur free agents. No rock unturned, I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I kinda hate doing this, but I’m gonna talk about the “body” of a young man who’s our prospect. :sadno:

 

When you look at Mikey, you can see how he’s not your typical 6’0” goalie. He’s quite wide at the shoulders and has long arms, a long torso, and shorter legs. His wingspan is actually just a hair under 78 inches, or roughly the same as 6’4” Jake Oettinger.

 

As DiPietro continues to hone his technique, he’s likely going to be able to provide similar net coverage to that of a much taller goalie.

 

He body is just “built” much taller than his height suggests.

 

(And yeah, I’m aware of how creepy some of this sounds. I hate talking about these kids this way, but just wanted to point it out, as the picture clearly shows how wide and rangy he is.)

Facial expression analysis or it didn't happen lol

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

there a reason he not on the "team roster" all the other goalies are, just not dipietro .....theres like 6 or so goalies listed and not dipietro

 

Goalies

# Ht Wt Born Birthplace
35 6' 4" 192 Dec 8, 1995 San Diego, CA, USA
30 6' 2" 201 Apr 1, 1996 Eden Prairie, MN, USA
25 6' 6" 206 Jan 31, 1990 Gävle, SWE
31 6' 2" 206 Aug 20, 1992 Grand Forks, ND, USA
76 6' 4" 203 Mar 22, 2001 LVA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

there a reason he not on the "team roster" all the other goalies are, just not dipietro .....theres like 6 or so goalies listed and not dipietro

 

99.99% sure there's no reason. That roster on Canucks.com is almost always outdated or missing players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2019 at 2:23 AM, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

there a reason he not on the "team roster" all the other goalies are, just not dipietro .....theres like 6 or so goalies listed and not dipietro

 

Goalies

# Ht Wt Born Birthplace
35 6' 4" 192 Dec 8, 1995 San Diego, CA, USA
30 6' 2" 201 Apr 1, 1996 Eden Prairie, MN, USA
25 6' 6" 206 Jan 31, 1990 Gävle, SWE
31 6' 2" 206 Aug 20, 1992 Grand Forks, ND, USA
76 6' 4" 203 Mar 22, 2001 LVA

It’s like the rides at Disneyland, if you don’t meet the height cutoff, you can’t ride.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...