Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

At this point Green and Benning have no choice but to either rush Marky back or bring up an AHL tender.  Mikey has thick skin and has the ideal mindset to be that guy.  What the heck could it hurt to see if he can stop the first goal.  

 

Demko is shattered mentally atm.  The club is shattered cause Demko is shattered.  

 

All the work and effort of this season is at stake and to go down in this fashion is not building anything but defeat into our burgeoning team.  

 

Demko needs to be sat.  Domingue is not the guy, just a leaky bandaid until proven other wise.  Could we just sign the 42 y/o Zamboni driver instead.  

 

Is this anyones fault.  IFDK.  

 

Marky carried this team and allowed it to play an aggressive style that won us games.  His play, not anything else did that.  Demko is a good goalie, but the goals he is letting in are not goals a beer league guy would let in.  His head and confidence is shattered at a time this club cannot afford.  

 

I don't see Mikey having the same confidence issues, he is guy that has an unorthodox style, shakes off bad goals like I shake off dandruff.  

 

So why not, or better off, what the heck do we stand to lose?  

 

If Mike doesn't find a way to keep us in games until Marky returns, we aren't any worse off.  Mikey gets a better pay cheque and NHL experience.  There is no pressure on him, cause there are no expectations.  The expectations should be on every other player and coach in the room.  Play to break to drought or go down fighting while there is still a chance. 

 

If this team, club and staff do not pull out all the stops and make every effort including line changes, personal changes to reignite the confidence and swagger that got us this far, then heads must roll, whether it is anyones fault or not.  

 

Whimpering while other teams beat us is not an experience that any fan deserves and not here, not after what we have all patiently endured by continuing to be fans and supporters.  

 

In retrospect, this team blew its season on beating one team in one game that didn't really matter.  So dramatic is the collapse that it is a Jekyl and Hyde moment for a team that has been that way since the picked dropped this year.

 

While I would give JB at least one more draft especially if we miss the playoffs this year, but if Green cannot right this ship by hook or crook he should be fired, as early as one more loss.  

 

I have supported him all year and he has delivered until now.  Not his fault, but like in Poker you have to play the hand you have been dealt.  

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the Canucks were beyond the knight in shining armour phase. Depietro has more to gain taking his Comets to a Calder run than being sacrificed in Vancouver. Play Demko or his back up until Markstrom returns. Canucks are not serious Cup contenders this year so stay the course. This group has to experience the losing or winning on their merits. They are still in it. Go Canucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

At this point Green and Benning have no choice but to either rush Marky back or bring up an AHL tender.  Mikey has thick skin and has the ideal mindset to be that guy.  What the heck could it hurt to see if he can stop the first goal.  

 

Demko is shattered mentally atm.  The club is shattered cause Demko is shattered.  

 

All the work and effort of this season is at stake and to go down in this fashion is not building anything but defeat into our burgeoning team.  

 

Demko needs to be sat.  Domingue is not the guy, just a leaky bandaid until proven other wise.  Could we just sign the 42 y/o Zamboni driver instead.  

 

Is this anyones fault.  IFDK.  

 

Marky carried this team and allowed it to play an aggressive style that won us games.  His play, not anything else did that.  Demko is a good goalie, but the goals he is letting in are not goals a beer league guy would let in.  His head and confidence is shattered at a time this club cannot afford.  

 

I don't see Mikey having the same confidence issues, he is guy that has an unorthodox style, shakes off bad goals like I shake off dandruff.  

 

So why not, or better off, what the heck do we stand to lose?  

 

If Mike doesn't find a way to keep us in games until Marky returns, we aren't any worse off.  Mikey gets a better pay cheque and NHL experience.  There is no pressure on him, cause there are no expectations.  The expectations should be on every other player and coach in the room.  Play to break to drought or go down fighting while there is still a chance. 

 

If this team, club and staff do not pull out all the stops and make every effort including line changes, personal changes to reignite the confidence and swagger that got us this far, then heads must roll, whether it is anyones fault or not.  

 

Whimpering while other teams beat us is not an experience that any fan deserves and not here, not after what we have all patiently endured by continuing to be fans and supporters.  

 

In retrospect, this team blew its season on beating one team in one game that didn't really matter.  So dramatic is the collapse that it is a Jekyl and Hyde moment for a team that has been that way since the picked dropped this year.

 

While I would give JB at least one more draft especially if we miss the playoffs this year, but if Green cannot right this ship by hook or crook he should be fired, as early as one more loss.  

 

I have supported him all year and he has delivered until now.  Not his fault, but like in Poker you have to play the hand you have been dealt.  

 

 

DAFUQ?

 

Demko looked just fine last night. Even after what could have been a mentally crippling, weird ass fluke goal AND a couple of iffy games.

 

Jebus Canucks fans...back off the ledge...

  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

I've come to the conclusion that a large (or loud) portion of the fanbase is just, frankly, mentally weak. They need everything to go perfectly immediately and just buckle in the presence of adversity. Also, overly emotional in their reasoning ; just a great big amygdala hijack after every loss. 

Loved this :lol: :wub:

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, EP40. said:

 

I love this kid, straight up.

 

Can easily see him having a Jonathan Bernier, Al Montoya type career. Perhaps even higher if he keeps developing at the rate he has.

Some guys just refuse to fail.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

If DiPietro has another solid season in Utica as their starter, do Benning and co. give him serious consideration to be the team's backup in two seasons from now (or is that too soon)?

If he absolutely tears it up next year then I'd say he'd be ready for the NHL the year after but that's best case scenario. More likely he'll see a handful of games next year as injury relief and start to make a push for some NHL time in 2-3 years. He's a highly talented, somewhat raw goalie with a lot of room to grow with coaching still as opposed to Demko who is a highly technical (and also talented) goalie.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Here is Mikie's first season in AHL:

 

2019-20

Utica Comets AHL 36 0 0 2045 95 2 1 2.79 21 11 2 934 0.908  

 

Here is Thatcher's first season in AHL:

2016-17 Utica Comets AHL 45 5 2 2555 114 8 2 2.68 22 17 1 1118 0.907 -

 

Mikie had a comparable first season to Thatcher's first season.  Also, Mikie did it at a younger age.  I think after next season he will be our back-up and even pushing Thatcher for game time.  He is that good. B)

Edited by dpn1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 10:22 AM, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

If he absolutely tears it up next year then I'd say he'd be ready for the NHL the year after but that's best case scenario. More likely he'll see a handful of games next year as injury relief and start to make a push for some NHL time in 2-3 years. He's a highly talented, somewhat raw goalie with a lot of room to grow with coaching still as opposed to Demko who is a highly technical (and also talented) goalie.

I think if MDP crushes it in the AHL next season, Demko shows he can play a heavy load and Holtby gets taken by Seattle, he may get a look as the backup.  Unlikely though,   I think we`d still bring in a one year stop gap and get him another year in Utica.  I agree that he is very talented, but still very raw.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well Mikie didn't get sent down to Utica today.  That means he will probably be on the Taxi Squad.  I hope he sees some games this season.  I think in a year or so Mikie will be pushing Thatcher; challenging him for the #1 spot here in Vancouver. B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Really surprised that Dipietro is on the taxi squad instead of being the #1 guy in Utica.

The AHL doesn't start for awhile, even the guys the Canucks have "sent down" don't leave Vancouver till Jan 20.

It might be that the coaches have better access when the guy is taxi squad?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurn said:

The AHL doesn't start for awhile, even the guys the Canucks have "sent down" don't leave Vancouver till Jan 20.

It might be that the coaches have better access when the guy is taxi squad?

You could be on to something. I guess they'd have to "call up" guys to the taxi squad and have them quarantine, assuming they're not in Canada for two weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the long term plan is for Mikey D.

 

Having him sit for another full year and miss hockey is not ideal nor is it going to help his development. The Canucks need to get another goalie so Mikey can either go back to Utica or stay within Canada on a loan to other AHL club to get games in. I can't see how sitting on the taxi squad is going to help him, he needs to get in reps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...