The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wonder what the long term plan is for Mikey D.

Having him sit for another full year and miss hockey is not ideal nor is it going to help his development. The Canucks need to get another goalie so Mikey can either go back to Utica or stay within Canada on a loan to other AHL club to get games in. I can't see how sitting on the taxi squad is going to help him, he needs to get in reps.

Has the AHL season begun yet? I would really prefer Mikey to be in Utica playing games as the starter.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Has the AHL season begun yet? I would really prefer Mikey to be in Utica playing games as the starter.

It starts next week on Feb 5, but Utica will likely start with Jon Gillis (former Flames goalie prospect) and Jake KIelly as the backup.

Rumors was to have DiPietro loaned into the North Division AHL group (Bellville, Manitoba, or Laval) but to do so they would have to take him off the active roster/taxi squad which requires us to have 3 goalies ready to go at all times.  So perhaps that is what is stalling things?

Either way I get the positives of having him exposed to Ian Clark, but to not be able to play in games for another year is going to put him a step behind in his development. 

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Either way I get the positives of having him exposed to Ian Clark, but to not be able to play in games for another year is going to put him a step behind in his development. 

I doubt it's the long term plan. Probably waiting until the start of the AHL season to loan him to a Canadian team as you mentioned and trade for a 3rd stringer that's already cleared waivers.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its quite surprising how Jack Rathbone and Mikey DiPietro are sitting on the taxi squad. Doesn't seem like the Canucks have much of a plan going forward for either, which I think seems to be a very short sighted approach so far.

Either that or Clark's working with him a lot due to the limited practices for the active roster.

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see Rathbone lighting it up in his first three games in the AHL.

Question what is going on with DiPietro?  Does anyone have an update?  Is he working with Clark every day and is that by design and what the Canucks want?  Or is there some sort of glitch that is keeping him stuck on the practice roster?

Anyone know?

Ok Benning answered the question in his presser.  Half way into the NHL season and DiPietro has played no games anywhere and they have had no plan to this point so they need to figure our some way to get him some games. That's what JB said.

He also acknowledged it would be better for DiPietro to be playing than practicing. 

So the upshot is they had nobody else to fulfill the league requirement to have a goalie on the taxi squad once Domingue was signed by Calgary so they stuck DiPietro there and have left him in limbo for half the season and counting. Yuck.

DiPietro has not played a hockey game in a year and counting.  That is a shame for a talented prospect.

I sincerely hope the Canucks get something figured out soon to get him playing again.

Edited by fanfor42
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Couldn't he switch places with Arthurs Selovs in Winnipeg?  B)

You would think so but obviously the Canucks want him as the third string not Silovs or that would have happened and JB wouldn't be saying "we need to figure something out."

Crappy situation for DiPietro to be left in limbo by Jimbo.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

You would think so but obviously the Canucks want him as the third string not Silovs or that would have happened and JB wouldn't be saying "we need to figure something out."

Crappy situation for DiPietro to be left in limbo by Jimbo.

Can't really blame Benning tho. We've seen how hard it is for teams to carry a goalie who requires waivers and Mkey is the #3 option so it kind of is what it is. At least he's getting tons of time to work with Ian but if allowed maybe they rotate him and Silov with the moose

4 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Can't really blame Benning tho. We've seen how hard it is for teams to carry a goalie who requires waivers and Mkey is the #3 option so it kind of is what it is. At least he's getting tons of time to work with Ian but if allowed maybe they rotate him and Silov with the moose

I think they wanted Dipietro to work with Clark but now its time to get him to Utica for games...Should be NHL ready soon,  2022-23 for sure

3 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Yeah, I'm still confused why they haven't just moved him back to Utica, just sign someone. 

Signing someone, means more money out of the owners pocket.

Easy to do when it is other peoples money.

• Cheers 1

I wonder why they don't swap Kielly and DiPietro, let the kid play the bulk of the games and leave Utica's bad goalie on the taxi squad. Everyone knows he's there in case of injuries which of course could happen at any time. That being said, an entire season of DiPietro training under Ian Clarke isn't a bad thing at all.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Signing someone, means more money out of the owners pocket.

Easy to do when it is other peoples money.

Sometimes I envy teams like the Yankees, the NFL or those top football clubs in Europe... where they just throw money around like Weinmar Republic.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll add, I'm not dissing Francesco in any way.

The family has spent money when and where they could to better the team and organization.

The issue is purely right now, limited income for the team means limited outflow to the team.

• Cheers 1