The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Michael DiPietro is currently on a five-game win streak, including a 26 save performance on Friday night in Stockton. This streak, which includes his season-high 37 save night against Bakersfield, has resulted in a .922 save percentage over that span.

Good for him, great to see him get in a groove.

I'd be interested to see whether the Canucks management sees Mikey D as a long term fit in the organization. With Demko and Martin slated to be the tandem in Vancouver, do they trust Mikey D to be number 3 on the depth chart and be the first guy to be plugged in should injuries arise?

Sportsnet 650 interview with Kevin Woodley suggested that he has heard DiPietro's name as a potential player a team would like to acquire from the Canucks. 

• Vintage 1

• 1 month later...

My thinking on MDP is that this is a “show me” season for Abby.  Between him and Silovs it will be sink or swim time for MDP. One thing is certain, they will play more which is what we want for both goalies. Martin has jumped both of these two on the depth chart and both will be competing to be the next backup to Demko. I’m still holding hope that MDP can become a backstopper for the club.

It’s not like his memorial cup and OHL goalie of the year awards were a fluke. That said, players need to adjust their game as their professional career gets higher league competition. Something he has struggled to find in the AHL. Hopefully this season he and Silovs can be a deadly duo in the crease.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering JR and Allvin spoke upon wanting an veteran goalie to help in Abbotsford and are very high on Silovs, I have a hunch that DiPietro is the odd man out. I expect him to be a trade asset this summer. 

Yup.  Dipietro will be the sugar needed to dumperoo Dickinson.

Dickinson + Dipietro to Dallas for a third.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Dipietro will be the sugar needed to dumperoo Dickinson.

Dickinson + Dipietro to Dallas for a third.  

Not paying assets to gain 1.6m ( factor in the 1m guy to take his spot )

Someone would take him for free. Ottawa paid for hammer lol

If not we can keep him and he should improve a bit. Can't expect every player to get accustomed to an entirely new country ect WHILE having to deal with Travis Green and Co for a few months. Talk about a mental burden.

I would give him another shot if nobody wants him for free 

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering JR and Allvin spoke upon wanting an veteran goalie to help in Abbotsford and are very high on Silovs, I have a hunch that DiPietro is the odd man out. I expect him to be a trade asset this summer. 

I don't know why they would be invested in Silovs; he's nowhere near a veteran goalie at 21yrs and just 11 AHL games

under his belt.  If they started tomorrow, Dipi would be the starter and Silovs the backup.  The will likely bring in

another goalie over the offseason.

Sounds like MTL is interested in DiPietro and Canucks would like to move on from him. Again congruent with what was said by JR and Allvin that they want a AHL veteran goalie for Abbotsford and are very high on the development of Arturs Silovs.

DiPietro was done wrong by Benning and co twice. The game against SJ where they made him face an NHL calibre team when he was still a junior goalie, and letting him sit a year on the taxi squad. His confidence was shot to start last season and slowly began to build up again, but those last few games where the Canucks needed just a win to secure home ice, Mikey looked really shaky. I think that final stretch sort of sealed his fate with this team. To be fair to him, the team was awful defensively, but he didn't make saves when they needed him to either.

Its very sad, he is ultra competitive and has some untapped skills but the way the previous regime handled him was so poor that it has ruined his development.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I just don't see Silovs or Mikey in the NHL. They are probably really nice guys, and great team-mates. But I'd be surprised if either one gets a regular backup gig in the NHL.

It’s clear by his trade request that Mikey feels he’s not going to get a shot at an NHL job with us.  The ideal trade would be using Mikey as the bit of sugar needed to dumperoo a Benning bad contract.  

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Changing the colour of his uniform will not make a difference. He's Ian Clarke workig with him for quite awhile

Goalies take a LOT longer to develop, he's so far from being a finished product.  

Hell didn't Demko take until 25 to break into the league?