The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 3/8/2021 at 6:42 AM, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. If the plan is to see both of these players make the club then have Rathbone play a season in Utica. Joulevi needs NHL TOI. He is sitting right now and I am not particularly happy about it. I can see Green's rationale as he wants more stability and confidence within the existing lineup and winning does that. As much as no one wants to see injuries they will likely happen and OJ goes back in. 

Juolevi is better than Benn at everything ...except hitting...

Benn just got injured to hopefully Oli gets back in for good...he is our best breakout passer and he has a great stick for knocking pucks off sticks and into the corners from around the front of the net.

If you watch him closely you can see the high level hockey sense he possesses...don't know why Greeener can't see that....!

17 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Benn just got injured to hopefully Oli gets back in for good...he is our best breakout passer and he has a great stick for knocking pucks off sticks and into the corners from around the front of the net.

If you watch him closely you can see the high level hockey sense he possesses...don't know why Greeener can't see that....!

Maybe because Benn is bigger. Now that Hamonic has settled in I would like to see OJ gets some games. Benn is not long term so OJ should get more TOI. At the same time I suspect JB wants to move Benn for a pick. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Juolevi is better than Benn at everything ...except hitting...   Yes his skill set is better.

Not sure why Ollie is out at the moment; there could be a number of reasons behind that move.  For one he may be experiencing some level of discomfort  in one of the injuries he sustained over the past few years. He may be out so the physio boys can work on trying to improve his lateral mobility that has not been as good as it was before his many injuries.

So for us fans , all we can do is sit and wait for his return. I am sure we will see him back in the fold and on the ice in the next few weeks.

I also expect that he will be a full time player for the Canucks next year barring anymore serious injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

We all get impatient, but I’m very happy that we have the luxury of not rushing Rathbone and Olli.  

Playing defense the proper way is not something you just learn through game time, it’s a good thing to develop those habits through coaching at each level.

Thats why dmen take a lot longer to develop then forwards.  

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Rathbone could have a very solid AHL career. Don’t think a full time NHL gig is in the cards but he could do wonders leading Utica.

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to prospects relative to most of the posters around these parts of the forum--don't understand, for example, why players like Lind and Gadjovich are being talked about at all at this point because their chances of having decent careers are slimmer than cheese slices. But Rathbone is legit. I don't see how anybody could realistically be cold on him.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to prospects relative to most of the posters around these parts of the forum--don't understand, for example, why players like Lind and Gadjovich are being talked about at all at this point because their chances of having decent careers are slimmer than cheese slices. But Rathbone is legit. I don't see how anybody could realistically be cold on him.

Here is what I don't get. How can anyone make claim to any prospect if they don't know the comparables or the progress the player has made. In Rathbones case, there is plenty of reports of how he played with and without Fox, when Fox was still on the Harvard team, and his point totals there of. Same goes for Gadjovich and Lind, although, their games are pretty meager at this point. But again, they have not played a NHL game. So how does any one know?

I don't mind people expressing their opinions, in fact I encourage it, but lets use some facts. I would also question ones allegiance to the Canucks, to not even get a little excited over the prospects that are doing well. I mean why would you include our good prospects with the same group as the ones that have not shown anything or very little, and say they have no chance also?

• Cheers 3

On March 21, 2021 at 8:14 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Rathbone could have a very solid AHL career. Don’t think a full time NHL gig is in the cards but he could do wonders leading Utica.

Rathbone, 22, 5'11,  will be  #4 D for Vancouver next season..This very skilled D man with elite skating much like Hughes will have a long career in the NHL....

He will dominate in the AHL ...GP 4 -- 5 PTS

• Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

My expectations meter is going up.

His shot is elite for his age. Such a hard shot. Hughes doesn't have a shot.. He's more a passer/skater..  Rathbone goes into boards, takes the body and can blast from the blue line..  

I do.t know how he gets so much on that shot being 5'11.. 

Stud of a player. Nothing is for certain but he's someone we can look forward to seeing.. I for one am certainly excited to see him with the big club next season.. 

Look at that maturity level.... and that build....He's built like a fire hydrant. And apparently trains like Hogz.. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

His shot is elite for his age. Such a hard shot. Hughes doesn't have a shot.. He's more a passer/skater..  Rathbone goes into boards, takes the body and can blast from the blue line..  

I do.t know how he gets so much on that shot being 5'11.. 

Stud of a player. Nothing is for certain but he's someone we can look forward to seeing.. I for one am certainly excited to see him with the big club next season.. 

Look at that maturity level.... and that build....He's built like a fire hydrant. And apparently trains like Hogz.. 

Sure glad Green didn't give him a chance to play this season at all . Would have hated to see him get a chance over Benn for a handfull of games. But at least Green playing Benn over Rathbone and OJ guaranteed that we would make the playoffs. 

• Haha 2