The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

His shot is elite for his age. Such a hard shot. Hughes doesn't have a shot.. He's more a passer/skater..  Rathbone goes into boards, takes the body and can blast from the blue line..  

I do.t know how he gets so much on that shot being 5'11.. 

Stud of a player. Nothing is for certain but he's someone we can look forward to seeing.. I for one am certainly excited to see him with the big club next season.. 

Look at that maturity level.... and that build....He's built like a fire hydrant. And apparently trains like Hogz.. 

You don't remember Smyl then. He's...what, 5'8", 5'9". His slap shot was downright scary. Just ask Mike Vernon!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sounds like a Biega Plus. great offensive instincts. wtg Jack, can't wait to see him next year. I like his reviews more than Chat's. 

Plus Woo. Things are looking up. :rolleyes:

I should hope so, Chatfield was never projected to be more than a bottom pair/spare D. You shouldn't really be comparing them :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

His shot is elite for his age. Such a hard shot. Hughes doesn't have a shot.. He's more a passer/skater..  Rathbone goes into boards, takes the body and can blast from the blue line..  

I do.t know how he gets so much on that shot being 5'11.. 

Stud of a player. Nothing is for certain but he's someone we can look forward to seeing.. I for one am certainly excited to see him with the big club next season.. 

Look at that maturity level.... and that build....He's built like a fire hydrant. And apparently trains like Hogz.. 

Rathbone is 1" shorter than Chris Chelios is the same weight at 190 pounds. Rathbone could still grow a bit. Very high on this kid and I agree that he plays in Vancouver for a least part of the year next year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dannydog said:

He was a great draft pick and we be a fantastic Dman for Van very soon. 

Unfortunately he'll never rack up the points, averaging 13 seconds per PP on PP2, after Hughes plays his customary 1 min 47 seconds each PP

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Unfortunately he'll never rack up the points, averaging 13 seconds per PP on PP2, after Hughes plays his customary 1 min 47 seconds each PP

I think Quinn's PP time will drop some once Jack gets up to speed in the NHL. He has a cannon of a shot for his size and that is something Quinn lacks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Burrows is doing something I suggested couple years back. 2 units 1A and 1B. Whoever scores starts the next power play. Increase the compete.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

If Hughes keeps racking up the big minus in his +/-, he might be the guy getting the 13 seconds.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone is 1" shorter than Chris Chelios is the same weight at 190 pounds. Rathbone could still grow a bit. Very high on this kid and I agree that he plays in Vancouver for a least part of the year next year. 

Hockey DB has Rathbone at 175#s

did he grow?

they have Woo at 205 and the other 3 Canucks on Utica at 175-178

maybe in a few years the Canucks can ice a defense that weighs less than 1000#s 

ha

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

did he grow?

ha

From CapFriendly.

BORN:May 20, 1999
BIRTHPLACE:West Roxbury, Massachusetts, United States
NATIONALITY:United StatesUnited States
HEIGHT:
5'11"
180cm
WEIGHT:
190 lbs
86kg
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Spent most of the season on the Canucks' taxi squad and then sent to Utica where covid protocol has resulted in many cancelled games.

i noticed Utica has the least games played

has anyone had covid down there?

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

i noticed Utica has the least games played

has anyone had covid down there?

Don't know who had the positive tests.

The Comets had two positive COVID-19 tests following the exposure against Rochester. The Comets took a conservative approach with the goal of keeping the team and opponents safe. Johnson said the the Comets are advised by a group of health care personnel and officials “that are way more knowledgeable that we’ve done the right thing.”

Following the game, the Comets made the decision to go into isolation mode with players socially distanced from each other. Rochester reported three players tested positive and one staff member following the game against Utica.

• Huggy Bear 1

19 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Sure glad Green didn't give him a chance to play this season at all . Would have hated to see him get a chance over Benn for a handfull of games. But at least Green playing Benn over Rathbone and OJ guaranteed that we would make the playoffs. 

I agree with everything you say, would love to see OJ play at least.

But for Green, his job is on the line. Youth development is not his priority. I think we would all do the same if our (dream) jobs were on the line.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

did he grow?

ha

Hockey DB is notorious for never updating their measures.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree with everything you say, would love to see OJ play at least.

But for Green, his job is on the line. Youth development is not his priority. I think we would all do the same if our (dream) jobs were on the line.

But. It's Benn.

We arguably are better with either OJ or Rathbone in over Benn.

And at best it is a very slim and very short term advantage to the team by playing Benn over the young guys.

I cannot support Green giving Benn 90 percent of the games at the expense of young guys who need to develop and are talented and we need going forward.

Green is afraid of making a mistake so he plays a guy like Benn over and over again - but it's Benn.

10 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

But. It's Benn.

And at best it is a very slim and very short term advantage to the team by playing Benn over the young guys.

I cannot support Green giving Benn 90 percent of the games at the expense of young guys who need to develop and are talented and we need going forward.

Green is afraid of making a mistake so he plays a guy like Benn over and over again - but it's Benn.

I don't support his decision either. But I put myself in his shoes, and I can understand why he is making those decisions.

Benn is a veteran defender and far less likely to make rookie defensive mistakes that OJ would surely be making. Green will need to provide mentorship to help correct those mistakes, which is a luxury that he cannot afford.

OJ is already better in many aspect than Benn except maybe in playing the pro game and not missing the coverage and so on.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

But. It's Benn.

Yes, it's far sexier to play rookies in the NHL, but, as you implied; "Green is afraid of making a mistake so he plays a guy like Benn".

I wouldn't say that OJ and Rathbone are better dmen at this point.   Rathbone has played a total of 4 games in the AHL so far and has done well, but that's a very small sample size.  I doubt we'll see him in Vancouver until next season.  OJ may be better, but I believe Benn was playing because he can play both sides and has a lot more experience in important games.

Besides, Benn has been playing really well and deserves the recognition.

• Cheers 1