The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would add Höglander to that list of short but not small. Kid is built like a fire hydrant.

We all like size, especially if there is talent along with it. I kinda smile as I remember the ‘72 Red Army team. Short, compact and fast up front. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, khay said:

Thumbs up.

But the poster does have a point too. 6 guys making the NHL all at once is highly unlikely -- don't even know if such feat has been accomplished ever before.

OJ will be on the team next season for sure, because well, he is already on the team.

Rathbone has a good shot if not for the logjam on LD. But he will likely be a first call up.

Podkolzin has > 50% chances. A former first round pick will be given an every opportunity to succeed and he is a winger. I'd say he is probably already better than Roussel.

Lind is 50/50. I'd like him to make the team but it might be premature to put him on as 3C to begin his NHL career. I think we will need to bring back Sutter on a short term deal or find a veteran replacement for 3C spot. I think the season after, when Beagle and Roussel's contracts come off, Lind can be eased in as a 4C assuming that does continue to get groomed as a center.

Gadj and Woo are probably going to require additional developments before they are NHL ready.

But yeah, it's exciting times ahead.

I was reacting to the comments on Rathbone only....it is the Rathbone thread after all...

I do not expect more than Podz, OJ and JR to make the team out of the gate next year...

I know OJ and JR play the same side ....but JR can play on the right if need be and I also think we will be trading Benn and maybe even Edler at the TDL...there is also Tryamkin to factor in if he comes over...maybe they trade Hamonic as well or instead of Edler...

Rathbone should be ready to force his way on to the team next year in any case.

31 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I was reacting to the comments on Rathbone only....it is the Rathbone thread after all...

I do not expect more than Podz, OJ and JR to make the team out of the gate next year...

I know OJ and JR play the same side ....but JR can play on the right if need be and I also think we will be trading Benn and maybe even Edler at the TDL...there is also Tryamkin to factor in if he comes over...maybe they trade Hamonic as well or instead of Edler...

I see. That makes sense.

It would be great if JR makes the team even this season, but a lot of low probability events would have to take place.

Sun rises from the east and Edler isn't waiving NTC. Edler will and should be re-signed. Right now, we can't afford to lose him. He munches most of the tough minutes on the team.

Hamonic said he won't waive. I don't know if he is interested in coming back -- I'd assume that he would want to make more money and our team probably can't offer too much.

Benn has near zero value so I'm not optimistic about a potential trade involving Benn -- although I'd like to see it just for the fact that it opens up a spot for OJ.  Nonetheless, Benn won't be brought back next season.

And I don't like the idea of JR, an NHL rookie, whose natural position is on the left side, being forced to play on the right side. It doesn't seem like a good idea as even the veterans have trouble adjusting to new side. The rookies should be placed in a position to succeed.

Anyhow, there will be few spots open next season. Assuming we re-sign Edler, we will have Edler, Myers, Hughes, Schmidt in the top 4 in minutes. That opens up 3 spots to be filled amongst OJ, JR, NT, and perhaps Hamonic/another UFA/trade acquisition.

If NT comes over, the #3RD is his. That leaves OJ and JR as #6/#7 -- there will be some healthy competition amongst these two. I'd also assume that we sign a depth RD.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Personally I think there's going to be a a lot of competition between JR and OJ. A lots going to depend on who management/coaches are going to be. If it's new staff every one has to start with a clean sheet, no favouring personal draft picks or past expectations

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

you have not been paying attention to NMCs that have been stated will not be waived

• Vintage 1

On 3/31/2021 at 1:37 PM, lmm said:

that sounds like you are joking

but in fact you are speaking the truth

to a point

Tryamkin has all the big we need in one player, but we need about 5-6 big players

that is why we have so much trouble with Winnibig and the Habs, and Vegas

Yeah, I was half joking just to make the point. And you are right, we do need some size, especially if we are trading off 6’3” guys like Sutter and Beagle, for guys like Hawrilyuk and Michaelis in those primarily defensive roles. If they turn out to be the second coming of Motte, then yahoo! But there is the chance of becoming a team easily pushed around, unless we can find some 5’11 guys like Ripken and Scottie Walker.

15 hours ago, lmm said:

you have not been paying attention to NMCs that have been stated will not be waived

I think Edler will waive if it is to the right team and Benn will for sure...Hamonic may not waive...but given the fact he may have to play 19 games in 25 days or so just to complete this wacky season if he stays here....

he just might....

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I think Edler will waive if it is to the right team and Benn will for sure...Hamonic may not waive...but given the fact he may have to play 19 games in 25 days or so just to complete this wacky season if he stays here....

he just might....

Edler has made it pretty clear he isn't interested in playing anywhere else

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Googlie said:

If he goes to a real contender...I think he does it and then just sign's with us in the summer...it is only a matter of playing 16 to maybe 30 games with another team and then he is right back here...

Or he likes were he is and we have Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkyn to take his place...

On 3/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, Fred65 said:

Fox was the RHD on that pairing, which were great at Harvard together

Rathbone only played a part season with Fox, he got moved back to the second unit part way through to match up against the other team’s best line.

7 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If he goes to a real contender...I think he does it and then just sign's with us in the summer...it is only a matter of playing 16 to maybe 30 games with another team and then he is right back here...

Or he likes were he is and we have Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkyn to take his place...

It would be nice, for once, if we were the team that traded a respected vet with an expiring contract, at the deadline, and then he re-signed with us after the playoffs.

I’m not sure Edler is the right candidate, but hopefully they’re at least having discussions.

It can be done respectfully, and there are benefits for both sides. Obviously, the club gets an asset. But also the player gets a kick at the can to chase a Cup, and while he still has a chance to be a contributor, before age gets the best of him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It would be nice, for once, if we were the team that traded a respected vet with an expiring contract, at the deadline, and then he re-signed with us after the playoffs.

I’m not sure Edler is the right candidate, but hopefully they’re at least having discussions.

It can be done respectfully, and there are benefits for both sides. Obviously, the club gets an asset. But also the player gets a kick at the can to chase a Cup, and while he still has a chance to be a contributor, before age gets the best of him.

Having  parallel conversation over in the Hamonic and Pearson threads

and then there is the tread about Vancouver having the highest number of NMC/NTCs in the league

I wonder if the fans or management will ever tire of Vancouver being a retirement community

Edler's made it known in the past he's no interest in leaving, you've gotta think that's even more the case given most of the team has Covid. 

I'd expect close to zero deadline moves from us. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Edler's made it known in the past he's no interest in leaving, you've gotta think that's even more the case given most of the team has Covid. 

I'd expect close to zero deadline moves from us. 

imagine if ol'Jimmer made a couple of moves before Pearson fell down go boom

Just now, lmm said:

imagine if ol'Jimmer made a couple of moves before Pearson fell down go boom

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Injuries are tough to predict, as is Covid. 

Takes two to tango though, who knows what the market was. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Injuries are tough to predict, as is Covid. 

Takes two to tango though, who knows what the market was. 

ya know,

if is was to rename this team I'd either name it 

The Vancouver Complacent Smurffs

or

the Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda

• RoughGame 1

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Exactly...

With it looking like a real mess for the Canucks to try to complete the season and no real chance of making the playoffs even if the do get the games in....

I would be packing my bags already if I were Eddie....

On 4/2/2021 at 4:45 PM, Googlie said:

Imo, on the ice (perhaps mainly due to the Staffs usage) Edler has become a liability and if he wants to stay long term he can become a coach (he has been paid very well for his 'loyalty' and it is time to move on).  If he wants to play he can walk and his minutes be given to a younger player; this is were JB should stop with the mentoring principle and let the rookie prove themselves first prior to bringing in players for mentoring reasons..