The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, on the ice (perhaps mainly due to the Staffs usage) Edler has become a liability and if he wants to stay long term he can become a coach (he has been paid very well for his 'loyalty' and it is time to move on).  If he wants to play he can walk and his minutes be given to a younger player; this is were JB should stop with the mentoring principle and let the rookie prove themselves first prior to bringing in players for mentoring reasons..

You do realize that Edler is still playing some of the hardest minutes on the team, right? We have nobody ready to fill those shoes yet.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You do realize that Edler is still playing some of the hardest minutes on the team, right? We have nobody ready to fill those shoes yet.

Yeah, but a rookie can play those minutes in preparation for next year and Edler is a FA, is one of my point.  If the team is in a playoff hunt then I agree with his deployment despite the known downside that comes with overplaying him.

32 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, but a rookie can play those minutes in preparation for next year and Edler is a FA, is one of my point.  If the team is in a playoff hunt then I agree with his deployment despite the known downside that comes with overplaying him.

:lol:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ideally they would have shipped Ben out and OJ would have got his ice. IMHO Benning cannot resign Edler with any NMC. Teams know that Edler would likely retire if they picked him up. Canucks are getting another dose of Canuck luck with Covid not allowing any TDL movement.

Rathbone goes to Utica and they get shutdown with him getting only 4 games. It is like the entire Canuck org has been on LTIR this year. Ferland move over!

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Ideally they would have shipped Ben out and OJ would have got his ice. IMHO Benning cannot resign Edler with any NMC. Teams know that Edler would likely retire if they picked him up. Canucks are getting another dose of Canuck luck with Covid not allowing any TDL movement.

Rathbone goes to Utica and they get shutdown with him getting only 4 games. It is like the entire Canuck org has been on LTIR this year. Ferland move over!

Yeah, Covid are affecting alot of the decisions right now and with the season a wash it would had been prudent to play the rookies but the staff wont do it (but  we know why).

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Your plan is to have rookies play the hardest, matchup/PK/shut down minutes on the team for 22+ minutes...

youre-goingto-havea-badtime-memecrunch-c

Let me explain - if you read any of my post lately, I explicitly stated the season is lost and it would be prudent for the team to play the rookies & showcase them for the fans, in preparation for next year but I understand the staff wont do it cause Green is a lame duck coach (right now) and in his opinion, the veteran line up gives him the best chance to win.

The defence is still suspect despite playing all the vets - when would be a good time to transition and find out what the team has with these rookies ? Right now there are three FA'S to be in the D and let's see what happens in the offseason with the covid economy in full effect...

good morning wednesday GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Let me explain - if you read any of my post lately, I explicitly stated the season is lost and it would be prudent for the team to play the rookies & showcase them for the fans, in preparation for next year but I understand the staff wont do it cause Green is a lame duck coach (right now) and in his opinion, the veteran line up gives him the best chance to win.

The defence is still suspect despite playing all the vets - when would be a good time to transition and find out what the team has with these rookies ? Right now there are three FA'S to be in the D and let's see what happens in the offseason with the covid economy in full effect...

good morning wednesday GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

Has nothing to do with Green being a 'lame duck' anything. You don't put rookies in to the situational play that Edler covers, because it will bloody destroy them and any confidence they have in their game.

That's how you ruin prospects.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:53 PM, aGENT said:

Has nothing to do with Green being a 'lame duck' anything. You don't put rookies in to the situational play that Edler covers, because it will bloody destroy them and any confidence they have in their game.

That's how you ruin prospects.

How do you suggest they learn - by watching or by doing it at the NHL level ?   My main point (seems you missed it), is that this is a lossing season and it would had been prudent for the team to play and showcase the future (more) perhaps early on, sure play the proven vets.   Also, It has everything to do with the staff cause the game day roster & deployment are up to them.  Being a lame duck coach (just by basing it on the gameday roster for awhile now), he is playing to win and he will go with the players that he knows & trust.

Also, not all prospects are the same: some are more resilent than you think (as we had seen from our young core and Demko as a more recent example) and these rookies had been preparing to be a pro for most of there young lives - one example, did the bad outing by Dipietro against the Sharks ruin him ?  Sure, you can once again bring up Buffalo & Edmonton (again) but I would argue if, those teams had a goaltender to built around besides all those top 3 picks (mostly, in the forward position), it would perhaps be a different story but due to the cap, a team only has so much $ to spend.   

Imo, at this time, it is time to replenish the prospect cupboard by showcasing the future and not more of the same tired vets/retreads.  Just my opinion during this lossing season.  

I dont blame you for being attached to the old (in hockey years) & slow warrior that is Edler - GCG !

Edited by ShawnAntoski

36 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

How do you suggest they learn - by watching or by doing it at the NHL level ?   One of my point (seems you missed it), is that this is a lost season and it would had been prudent for the team to play and showcase the future.   It has everything to do with the staff cause game day roster & deployment are up to them and being a lame duck coach he is playing to win and he will go with the players that he knows/trust.

Also, not all prospects are the same: some are more resilent than you think (as we had seen from our young core and Demko as more recent example) and these rookies had been preparing to be a pro for most of there young lives - one example, did the bad outing by Dipietro against the Sharks ruin him ?  Sure, you can once again bring up Buffalo & Edmonton but if those teams had a goaltending to built around besides all those top 3 picks (mostly, in the forward position) it would perhaps be a different story but due to the cap a team, only has so many $ to spend.   

Imo, at this time, it is time to replenish the prospect cupboard by showcasing the future and not more of the same tired vets/retreads.  Just my opinion and feel free to disagree !

I dont blame you for being attached to the old (in hockey years) & slow warrior that is Edler - GCG !

the problem as I see it is not Edler

Its Schmidt and Myers

Who needs Whom?

Edler does not need Schmidt as much as Schmidt needs Edler

Myers needs Benn or Edler but does not help when he plays with Hughes

Hughes needed Tanev and he is fine with the replacement Hamonic

appearently Myers is not solid enough to play with Juolevi

Heck even Gudbranson looked gook paired with Edler for about 3 games but not good with Hutton

maybe if Hutton had played with Tanev for the last 3-4 years people would think he is an NHL #3 d-man

this team has $12 m tied up in guys that are supposed to put up numbers but need a defensive baby sitter

Hughes is the same, but at least he is young and not currently costing $6M

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

How do you suggest they learn - by watching or by doing it at the NHL level ? 

Developing in the minors and earning those minutes, over time, as always.

My main point (seems you missed it), is that this is a lossing season and it would had been prudent for the team to play and showcase the future (more) perhaps early on, sure play the proven vets. Also, It has everything to do with the staff cause the game day roster & deployment are up to them.  Being a lame duck coach (just by basing it on the gameday roster for awhile now), he is playing to win and he will go with the players that he knows & trust.

The NHL is not a development league. Coaches will always play the players they feel give them the best chance to win. Want to be one of those players? Earn it.

Also, not all prospects are the same: some are more resilent than you think (as we had seen from our young core and Demko as a more recent example) and these rookies had been preparing to be a pro for most of there young lives - one example, did the bad outing by Dipietro against the Sharks ruin him ?

One game? Not likely. An entire season? Quite possibly. Part of a coaches job is also putting players in the best position to succeed. That's highly unlikely to include playing a rookie in Edler's hard minute/match up/PK role. Like Pettersson getting furnished near 80% ozone starts in his rookie year.

Imo, at this time, it is time to replenish the prospect cupboard by showcasing the future and not more of the same tired vets/retreads.  Just my opinion during this lossing season.  

That will be happening regardless of who's playing.

He's arguably the best defenseman to have played for this franchise and is still playing at an extremely high level, in hard situations despite being 'old and slow'. And we have nobody to replace those minutes, least of all your suggestion of playing rookies in them. This tells me you lack pretty fundamental understanding of how the game is played. Particularly at this level.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Developing in the minors and earning those minutes, over time, as always.

The NHL is not a development league. Coaches will always play the players they feel give them the best chance to win. Want to be one of those players? Earn it.

One game? Not likely. An entire season? Quite possibly. Part of a coaches job is also putting players in the best position to succeed. That's highly unlikely to include playing a rookie in Edler's hard minute/match up/PK role. Like Pettersson getting furnished near 80% ozone starts in his rookie year.

That will be happening regardless of who's playing.

He's arguably the best defenseman to have played for this franchise and is still playing at an extremely high level, in hard situations despite being 'old and slow'. And we have nobody to replace those minutes, least of all your suggestion of playing rookies in them. This tells me you lack pretty fundamental understanding of how the game is played. Particularly at this level.

Yeah, you had already said that the NHL is not a developmental league and I agree; that is why I emphasized at this point & IMO, it would had been prudent to showcase the future & replenish the prospect cupboard.  Other, teams like Ottawa and Colorado seems to this alot...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

21 minutes ago, lmm said:

the problem as I see it is not Edler

Its Schmidt and Myers

Who needs Whom?

Edler does not need Schmidt as much as Schmidt needs Edler

Myers needs Benn or Edler but does not help when he plays with Hughes

Hughes needed Tanev and he is fine with the replacement Hamonic

appearently Myers is not solid enough to play with Juolevi

Heck even Gudbranson looked gook paired with Edler for about 3 games but not good with Hutton

maybe if Hutton had played with Tanev for the last 3-4 years people would think he is an NHL #3 d-man

this team has $12 m tied up in guys that are supposed to put up numbers but need a defensive baby sitter

Hughes is the same, but at least he is young and not currently costing $6M

Good point and we will see how the owners & GM's will be building through this covid economy..

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

playing a rookie in Benn's spot means he is not a rookie next year

playing him 15 games and sending him to the taxi squad means he loses another year of developement

and is still a rookie next season

I remember some posters claiming Greener was a good developement coach

I guess they meant a good Offensive Forward Developement Coach

I did not know there was such a position

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, you had already said that the NHL is not a developmental league and I agree; that is why I emphasized at this point & IMO, it would had been prudent to showcase the future & replenish the prospect cupboard.  Other, teams like Ottawa and Colorado seems to this alot...

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Just now, lmm said:

playing a rookie in Benn's spot means he is not a rookie next year

playing him 15 games and sending him to the taxi squad means he loses another year of developement

and is still a rookie next season

I remember some posters claiming Greener was a good developement coach

I guess they meant a good Offensive Forward Developement Coach

I did not know there was such a position

The other poster is suggesting rookies in Edler's spot, not Benn's.