The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he clears quarantine today, so he should be available for tomorrow. But like you said, he probably needs to get in a skate or two with the team first.

I think that the rule got changed in Canada where the quarantine is only a week before the player can start practicing, and then another week of practice before he's allowed to play.  So technically there's still two weeks from getting called up from Utica to where we can see him in a game. 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think that the rule got changed in Canada where the quarantine is only a week before the player can start practicing, and then another week of practice before he's allowed to play.  So technically there's still two weeks from getting called up from Utica to where we can see him in a game. 

Ah, I hadn’t read that about the week of practice. Probably good, anyway. They don’t really need him right now for injury/illness relief, and it’ll be better for Rathbone to get some practice time before (hopefully) making his NHL debut this season.

I hope that Jack gets to play soon, but I definitely don’t want to see him rushed. I’d rather set him up for success from game one. He’s hopefully going to have a long career in Vancouver, so waiting another week is fine by me.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Eligible to play after 7 days quarantine  .....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadian-government-officially-approves-7-day-quarantine-nhl-players/

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

That was the early report before it got announced.  

I was listening to radio a couple of weeks ago and they mentioned that after a week they let you suit up and work with the team (practice) for a week before you’re allowed to play.  

The analyst on radio could’ve been wrong. For example we can see how long it takes Foligno to make his debut with the Leafs. 

@Googlie you might be right but the analyst on radio was very clear about the one week quarantine and one week of practice time.  

However I’m looking at Highmore who waited 10 days to make his debut ... 

Nick Foligno made his debut 12 days after the trade so something’s not adding up here. 

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That was the early report before it got announced.  

I was listening to radio a couple of weeks ago and they mentioned that after a week they let you suit up and work with the team (practice) for a week before you’re allowed to play.  

The analyst on radio could’ve been wrong. For example we can see how long it takes Foligno to make his debut with the Leafs. 

Foligno played on Thursday against Winnipeg. Played on the line with Matthews and Marner and picked up an assist on the empty netter.

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

Foligno played on Thursday against Winnipeg. Played on the line with Matthews and Marner and picked up an assist on the empty netter.

Maybe instead of quoting this “analyst” I should’ve just called him a glorified blogger as I’m realizing that it wasn’t accurate.  

It was in relation to Rathbone specifically and there’s no need for rules to be different for guys getting called up from the States as opposed to trade acquisitions. Sounds like wrong information on our local radio station then. 

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Cheers Googlie 

Also in that same article...  

" According to a report by Matt Sekeres on the Sekeres & Price podcast, Hughes required an IV and lost body weight. That doesn't mean he won't be able to return, but it is a cause for concern."

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Sounds good.  And pair him with Bowey while you're at it Green!

Doubt it.  Smart money would give Hughes a day off, and just slot Rathbone in there, but realistically Edlsr should be given a rest day and Rathbone paired with Schmidt 

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Doubt it.  Smart money would give Hughes a day off, and just slot Rathbone in there, but realistically Edlsr should be given a rest day and Rathbone paired with Schmidt 

Rathbone and Hamonic together, Give Rathbone at least 15--18 minutes...

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I heard Rathbone might be playing tonight, so stoked another skilled young offensive D man will be close to Hughes with his skill...

I wonder what minutes he plays with Hughes as #1 PP. Rathbone supposedly wasn’t a PKer in Utica, OJ is but Green didn’t even use him there and relied on the vets. 

Hope he gets more than 10-12 minutes. Vets can’t play as much as they are with this schedule. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wonder what minutes he plays with Hughes as #1 PP. Rathbone supposedly wasn’t a PKer in Utica, OJ is but Green didn’t even use him there and relied on the vets. 

Hope he gets more than 10-12 minutes. Vets can’t play as much as they are with this schedule. 

Doubt it will happen but I'm visualizing JR playing in the EP spot on PP#1.

Shades of Orr and Park. For about 10 games in 75-76, Brad Park and Bobby Orr were on the same power play.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CtFAamwnd5xyrZ9v9

• Like 2

Rathbone looks like a young stallion out there. Still lots of training to do as he looks very raw defensively but man does he move well out there. Really snaps the puck around and very deliberate in his movements.  If he can grow into a defensively sound player as to go with his abilities he's going to be a stud

14 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Rathbone looks like a young stallion out there. Still lots of training to do as he looks very raw defensively but man does he move well out there. Really snaps the puck around and very deliberate in his movements.  If he can grow into a defensively sound player as to go with his abilities he's going to be a stud

I can 100000% now say I’d rather Rathbone over Chatfield and it isn’t close

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Like 1