The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Right. But this worries me. If he never gets to the elite defensive IQ and positioning that Rafalski had, then what? 

Then he’s an pure offensive puck-moving defenseman. Also perhaps he improves well enough to the point where’s he’s not elite but not a liability and can hold his own. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Right. But this worries me. If he never gets to the elite defensive IQ and positioning that Rafalski had, then what? 

Well, he certainly won't win three Stanley Cups with two different teams or be named best defenseman at the Olympics.

But he could end up being a better offensive defenseman than Rafalski. And even Rafalski was never a number one guy. In New Jersey he had Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. In Detroit he had Lidstrom. Doubt a team would have won a Cup with him as their number one defenseman, and the same is likely true of Hughes. He'll need to be insulated, but where the game is going now days, zone exits and entries are crucial, and a guy like Quinn Hughes is going to be invaluable.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, he certainly won't win three Stanley Cups with two different teams or be named best defenseman at the Olympics.

But he could end up being a better offensive defenseman than Rafalski. And even Rafalski was never a number one guy. In New Jersey he had Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. In Detroit he had Lidstrom. Doubt a team would have won a Cup with him as their number one defenseman, and the same is likely true of Hughes. He'll need to be insulated, but where the game is going now days, zone exits and entries are crucial, and a guy like Quinn Hughes is going to be invaluable.

Yeah. I’ll agree that the game is definitely different. Rafalski played in a different era - lots of clutching and grabbing, so he did remarkably well in that era of hockey. Quinn is in a different era of hockey, where skating, edge work, being able to enter into the zone, etc., are all crucial. 

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Rafalski was pretty awesome and the pseudo number one in NJ if I remember correctly at the end. Which is why he got an outrageously high contract in Detroit. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rafalski+contract+redwings&rlz=1C1DIMC_enCA937CA937&oq=rafalski+contract+redwings&aqs=chrome..69i57.8208j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Insane, that's a lot of money back then. I'm the first guy to point out defensive flaws but Quinn has handled himself well in small spurts. He just needs to understand what he needs to do to win. He's a champ and a gamer. I have confidence he'll get better in that regard and become better than most think. Part of it is having a better team and better dmen to look up to.

People can say what they want about plus minus but being that plus in a career is incredibly impressive. 

Quinn needs to rely on his elusiveness and make safe plays that benefit the team. He'll get it.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Rafalski was pretty awesome and the pseudo number one in NJ if I remember correctly at the end. Which is why he got an outrageously high contract in Detroit. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rafalski+contract+redwings&rlz=1C1DIMC_enCA937CA937&oq=rafalski+contract+redwings&aqs=chrome..69i57.8208j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Insane, that's a lot of money back then. I'm the first guy to point out defensive flaws but Quinn has handled himself well in small spurts. He just needs to understand what he needs to do to win. He's a champ and a gamer. I have confidence he'll get better in that regard and become better than most think. Part of it is having a better team and better dmen to look up to.

People can say what they want about plus minus but being that plus in a career is incredibly impressive. 

Quinn needs to rely on his elusiveness and make safe plays that benefit the team. He'll get it.

They way he can skate around players isn’t safe for everyone but it is for him;)

• Cheers 1

So I know people are excited and intrigued by Rathbone's potential, but holy smokes, simmer down on those expectations people.  He played 8 games and had a good showing with 3 points, but people are penciling him into the Top 4 already and expecting he'll be able to keep up his play over a full season and 20min a night lol. 

Let's see what we have after 50 to 60 games....

• Cheers 4

I haven't quite penciled in Jack into the top six pairings for next season.

Had a solid outting at the end of the season, but I think it would be wise to assume that Rathbone may even start in the AHL next season in Abbotsford to acclimatize a full season in the pros. 

Who knows maybe exposure to Brad Shaw would really help his two way game, but I rather have Rathbone play big heavy mins in Abbotsford in all situations then getting 12-15 sheltered minutes and not seeing much time on special teams at all. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I haven't quite penciled in Jack into the top six pairings for next season.

Had a solid outting at the end of the season, but I think it would be wise to assume that Rathbone may even start in the AHL next season in Abbotsford to acclimatize a full season in the pros. 

Who knows maybe exposure to Brad Shaw would really help his two way game, but I rather have Rathbone play big heavy mins in Abbotsford in all situations then getting 12-15 sheltered minutes and not seeing much time on special teams at all. 

I think at the very least, IF he makes the team, that he at least see minutes on PP2. But yes, I'd not be opposed to him being the #1D in Abby either. 

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think at the very least, IF he makes the team, that he at least see minutes on PP2. But yes, I'd not be opposed to him being the #1D in Abby either. 

Especially since, with the AHL team move, being #1D in Abbotsford is basically like being the Canucks 7/8D, but just playing 20+ minutes a night on the farm, instead of sitting and eating popcorn in the Canucks press box, while he waits for an opportunity.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Especially since, with the AHL team move, being #1D in Abbotsford is basically like being the Canucks 7/8D, but just playing 20+ minutes a night on the farm, instead of sitting and eating popcorn in the Canucks press box, while he waits for an opportunity.

Exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised that (especially on home stands) if we go with a 21 man roster to save cap for chunks of the season and utilize Abby as our unofficial 'taxi squad' like with your Rathbone example.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised that (especially on home stands) if we go with a 21 man roster to save cap for chunks of the season and utilize Abby as our unofficial 'taxi squad' like with your Rathbone example.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if a few of the AHL guys, especially those who got some taxi squad/NHL games last season, decided to keep their living arrangements in Vancouver, and just commute the hour to Abbotsford. Or maybe go in together and rent a house out in Abby, but also keep their apartments in the city. It’s a lot different now, from before, when you had to move across the continent (and had to deal with collecting your “stuff,” like that time with Jake :lol:). I can see many of the Utica guys living downtown (at least for much of the year) and being part of the group, with the younger Canucks roster players, when it comes to their off-ice, social lives.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yes having the farm in Abby really makes a difference. I could see Rathbone in Abby for about 20 games and maybe 40 with the big team. OJ and Edler doing 60 games each sounds great to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I also wouldn’t be surprised if a few of the AHL guys, especially those who got some taxi squad/NHL games last season, decided to keep their living arrangements in Vancouver, and just commute the hour to Abbotsford. Or maybe go in together and rent a house out in Abby, but also keep their apartments in the city. It’s a lot different now, from before, when you had to move across the continent (and had to deal with collecting your “stuff,” like that time with Jake :lol:). I can see many of the Utica guys living downtown (at least for much of the year) and being part of the group, with the younger Canucks roster players, when it comes to their off-ice, social lives.

Rent is expensive if you want to live downtown. If they are getting paid an AHL salary I highly doubt they’d want to spend all their money on rent and food downtown.  

If they are going to play a full season in Abbotsford it would be a lot cheaper for them to share accommodation out in Abbotsford. If they get called up and are playing for the Canucks the team usually has a few suites available for players and staff in Aquilini’s building next to Rogers Arena.  If they start the year in Vancouver on an NHL salary then that’s when the usually go out and find their own accommodation in the City. 

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rent is expensive if you want to live downtown. If they are getting paid an AHL salary I highly doubt they’d want to spend all their money on rent and food downtown.  

If they are going to play a full season in Abbotsford it would be a lot cheaper for them to share accommodation out in Abbotsford. If they get called up and are playing for the Canucks the team usually has a few suites available for players and staff in Aquilini’s building next to Rogers Arena.  If they start the year in Vancouver on an NHL salary then that’s when the usually go out and find their own accommodation in the City. 

For sure, when it comes to the true AHL guys.

Was more thinking about a guy like Rathbone, who already made around $300k last season, and will get a minimum of around $160k, just AHL and signing bonuses, and likely close to a half mill, should he play significant games on call-up. Of course there’s taxes and escrow, but he should easily be able to keep whatever accommodations he had in Vancouver for last year, and maybe chip in for another place in Abby, with teammates.

I expect Jack plans to make the Canucks anyway, so I doubt he’s giving up his lease on whatever he’s got in the city, or looks at Abbotsford as anything more than temporary, if he’s sent down.

Although, now that I think about, wasn’t  Rathbone living with Hughes last year? I seem to remember something like that, so maybe he’ll just keep a room at Quinn’s place, and then another setup in Abby, if he needs it.

Mostly, however, I just think it’s a good situation for the team, and will help future relationships, with the young NHL guys and the AHL guys in the same metro area, and able to spend off days together and build friendships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was more thinking about a guy like Rathbone, who already made around $300k last season, and will get a minimum of around $160k, just AHL and signing bonuses, and likely close to a half mill, should he play significant games on call-up. Of course there’s taxes and escrow, but he should easily be able to keep whatever accommodations he had in Vancouver for last year, and maybe chip in for another place in Abby, with teammates.

I expect Jack plans to make the Canucks anyway, so I doubt he’s giving up his lease on whatever he’s got in the city, or looks at Abbotsford as anything more than temporary, if he’s sent down.

Although, now that I think about, wasn’t  Rathbone living with Hughes last year? I seem to remember something like that, so maybe he’ll just keep a room at Quinn’s place, and then another setup in Abby, if he needs it.

Mostly, however, I just think it’s a good situation for the team, and will help future relationships, with the young NHL guys and the AHL guys in the same metro area, and able to spend off days together and build friendships.

And no escrow applied to guys playing in the AHL.  

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Rathbone was living downtown in one of Aquilini's suites in the building attached to Rogers Arena.  If a player is on a short term stay, is traded midseason, etc. then that is where they go.  My insider Canucks friend told me this.

I think Rathbone makes the team outright next year and collects his $925,000 salary.  If so I am sure he will find a beautiful furnished rental to live in our gorgeous City.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Rathbone was living downtown in one of Aquilini's suites in the building attached to Rogers Arena.  If a player is on a short term stay, is traded midseason, etc. then that is where they go.  My insider Canucks friend told me this.

I think Rathbone makes the team outright next year and collects his $925,000 salary.  If so I am sure he will find a beautiful furnished rental to live in our gorgeous City.

Rathbone is clearly the best D prospect on the roster. He isn't good he's a difference maker IMO. OJ is in tough to beat this guy out

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1