The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

55 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I will say that the takeaway/giveaway stat is one of the worst and inconsistently tracked stats I've seen in hockey, it would be difficult to make conclusions relying on it. I've seen him make considerably more than one giveaway in a game (granted he's been good at getting it back shortly after).

Agreed:  none of them are particularly consistent in how they're tallied, but some are worse than others.  The best of a bad bargain is to take them all into consideration with the eye test.  With that said, it's hard to make a case that Rathbone is hurting the team defensively except through pure assertion. 

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

I will say that the takeaway/giveaway stat is one of the worst and inconsistently tracked stats I've seen in hockey, it would be difficult to make conclusions relying on it. I've seen him make considerably more than one giveaway in a game (granted he's been good at getting it back shortly after).

I've heard that takeaways are tracked better, but giveaways aren't very reliable. I don't have any evidence or anything, but just something I heard from another dedicated fan.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I've heard that takeaways are tracked better, but giveaways aren't very reliable. I don't have any evidence or anything, but just something I heard from another dedicated fan.

All stats could have sub stats. For example with takeaways and giveaways:

1) Board battle two against one, you give the puck up to two attackers. Is really a bad give away?

2) The Ref interferes with your attempt to clear or pass the puck and it bounces to the other team. Is a bad play?

If all stats were broken down with more details they would be more telling.  

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sbisa broke the system.

/s

Actually im kinda worried about this guy....he had a great training camp but the games ive seen him ply during the regular season hes been sloppy and a step behind on many situations. im hoping he is more of a development project because he needs to get his timing, positioning and pace elevated. maybe then he can make avoid some of the giveaways and can start to make his plays with a better margin. 

3 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Actually im kinda worried about this guy....he had a great training camp but the games ive seen him ply during the regular season hes been sloppy and a step behind on many situations. im hoping he is more of a development project because he needs to get his timing, positioning and pace elevated. maybe then he can make avoid some of the giveaways and can start to make his plays with a better margin. 

He's far from the finished product IMO, He clearly has faith in his abilities but some times it seems to me his faith is misplaced. He try moves that worked in college but ain't happening in the NHL

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He's far from the finished product IMO, He clearly has faith in his abilities but some times it seems to me his faith is misplaced. He try moves that worked in college but ain't happening in the NHL

Then people wonder why TG doesn't put rookies in the lineup. Boeser, Hughes, EP, Jake, McCann, OJ, it's a far different league than Jr. or College. Luckily enough, Boeser, Hughes, and EP have figured the NHL out and in many ways, there's more to learn. JR and KB were clearly exposed in the Wild game.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Then people wonder why TG doesn't put rookies in the lineup. Boeser, Hughes, EP, Jake, McCann, OJ, it's a far different league than Jr. or College. Luckily enough, Boeser, Hughes, and EP have figured the NHL out and in many ways, there's more to learn. JR and KB were clearly exposed in the Wild game.

Sure, but to be honest most of the roster was exposed in the Minny game. There were more than a few players didn't turn up. If they fail tonight we're in trouble, Philly played last night so it's a back to back for them

In my opinion, Rathbone's defensive game needs a lot of sharpening up. He makes some good plays, but too many poor plays for the NHL. Once Hamonic returns, I'd love for him to go to Abbotsford to clean up his overall game.

• Cheers 3

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

In my opinion, Rathbone's defensive game needs a lot of sharpening up. He makes some good plays, but too many poor plays for the NHL. Once Hamonic returns, I'd love for him to go to Abbotsford to clean up his overall game.

I feel like someone was mentioning this all summer and through training camp...-_-

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, gurn said:

No Rathbone on the big team means Ollie would have possibly kept a spot.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

But then where would we be without Lammikko?  ^_^

I think Juolevi was gone when he didn't show up in shape. Like this is your make or break year and you're FINALLY healthy to actually train all summer... And you come in and lay that turd in the training camp bed?!

I've been a big supporter of his, and he still has all the ability in the world to become a good, top 4 D. But if that's your fitness commitment level...? :picard:

Despite that, we arguably would have been better off with him on the third pair vs Rathbone. But you simply can't reward and condone that lack of commitment. Sends entirely three wrong message to the rest of the team. Both the vets/core trying to make the playoffs and the kids trying to make the team.

• Cheers 4

• -AJ- changed the title to Jack Rathbone | D