JUNE 6TH, 2017 Jeff Hawkins JEFF HAWKINS

Jack Rathbone

2016-17 Team: Cape Cod Whalers (#5)

Date of Birth: May 20, 1999

Place of Birth: West Roxbury, Massachusetts

Ht.: 5’10” Wt.: 165 lbs

Shoots: Left

Position: Defenseman

NHL Draft Eligibility: Prospect is eligible for 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Twitter: @jrathbone15

Rankings

• NHL Central Scouting: 57th (NA, Final)
  • NHL Central Scouting: 78th (NA, Mid-term)
  • Bob McKenzie: Unranked (Mid-season)
  • Craig Button: Unranked (March)
  • Jeff Marek: Unranked (October)
  • ISS: Unranked (May)

The son of former Boston College forward Jason Rathbone, Cape Cod Whalers defenseman Jack Rathbone is set to make a name for himself. Committed to play at Harvard next season, the smooth-skating Rathbone is poised to be selected in the middle rounds of the 2017 NHL Draft.

After sitting out nearly four weeks with a concussion, Rathbone returned to his prep team, Dexter School, in February and scored the game-winner during his first game back. A bit undersized, Rathbone will need to bulk up to compete effectively as he moves up in levels the next few seasons.

Following Dexter’s season, Rathbone joined the USHL’s Youngstown Phantoms for a brief stint. He posted one assist in the four games with the Phantoms. He also collected 12 points, including four goals, in 14 appearances with the Cape Cod Whalers of the MHSL.

Known for his swift skating style, Rathbone makes up for a lack of size with speed and defensive grit. He passes with precision and consistently pushes teammates in transition. Rathbone utilizes his mobility to elude fore-checkers and create offensive chances for himself and teammates. His patience for allowing plays to develop underscores his advanced hockey IQ.

NHL Draft Projection

Despite concerns with his size and recent concussion issues, Rathbone’s fluid skating style and intensity will attract an NHL general manager to take a chance on the smallish blueliner. He is projected to be taken in the fourth round, but could go earlier if an organization has a need for a slick-skating, puck-moving defenseman.

Quotable

“Undersized defender with good vision, high-end skating ability and grit. Very elusive and uses his shiftiness to move pucks out of his zone and to the attack, which he will hop in on. His low center of gravity give him the ability to cannonball opponents and knock them off the puck.” – Bill Placzek, www.draftsite.com

Statistics

Strengths

• Skating ability
  • Quarterbacking the power play
  • Transition game

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Size
  • Decision-making

NHL Potential

NHL insiders project Rathbone will serve as organizational depth while he develops muscle mass. His elite footwork will enable Rathbone time to gain strength. With patience, scouts believe Rathbone will ease his way into becoming a top-six defenseman.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 3/5, Reward 4/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense – 7.5/10, Defense – 7/10

Awards/Achievements

Jack Rathbone was named to the USHS All-USA Hockey First team for 2016-17 and competed in the All-American Prospects Game in September 2016. He also was selected to be a candidate for Midseason American Family Insurance ALL-USA Player of the Year. In 2015, he helped lead the Whalers to a Midget Minor Tier 1 Massachusetts State Championship.

Thanks for the info.

Kinda bugs me people post a link and an opinion and nothing else.

Our new canucks deserve better

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's called valuation.  When the Canucks don't have much else in asset value to offer, you give what you need to.  There's no "throwing in picks" as if it's tossing in the vig.  And it actually accelerated the rebuild, getting actual players instead of prospects.

• Upvote 1

He is committed to Harvard for the 2018 season. Harvard guys do tend to test free agency (just look at Vesey, Kerfoot) after they hit the 4 year mark... However, something tells me this kid is different (the reason he isn't going to Harvard this year is so he can stay near his autistic little brother).

He is friends with Demko, who will likely be in the NHL at the time Rathbone is ready to make the leap from college to the NHL, so that bodes well.

A good project. I don't expect him to be a factor until 2020 which is fine by me. Defensemen take longer to develop, so give him all the development time he needs. Better than plucking a CHL d man, at this point, anyways.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He is committed to Harvard for the 2018 season. Harvard guys do tend to test free agency (just look at Vesey, Kerfoot) after they hit the 4 year mark... However, something tells me this kid is different (the reason he isn't going to Harvard this year is so he can stay near his autistic little brother).

He is friends with Demko, who will likely be in the NHL at the time Rathbone is ready to make the leap from college to the NHL, so that bodes well.

A good project. I don't expect him to be a factor until 2020 which is fine by me. Defensemen take longer to develop, so give him all the development time he needs. Better than plucking a CHL d man, at this point, anyways.

Our own Harvard fourth rounder in 2010 was seemed set to test free agency as well if I recall. Not crazy about this personally. I'm sure he's a good hockey player.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is Stecher version 2.0.     Stecher went undrafted as NHL was in denial about size issues changing in faster game today.   This pick doesn't bode well for Subban necessarily however.  

How so? Boner going back to prep school this year and  then to Harvard. That's 2 years minimum before he even gets a shot in Utica. 

5 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

How so? Boner going back to prep school this year and  then to Harvard. That's 2 years minimum before he even gets a shot in Utica. 

I see the Canucks picking Boner and with signing Stecher that they are fine with smaller puck moving D but they want the lower risk types.   Subban plays like a cat chasing a laser pointer when it comes to the puck versus following lanes and trading D assignments on the fly.   While I agree Boner is a few years away, not sure you can have a lot of similar players in the hopper and using contracts (assuming this one signs at some point) and something about Subban, even with Green as coach, concerns me.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see the Canucks picking Boner and with signing Stecher that they are fine with smaller puck moving D but they want the lower risk types.   Subban plays like a cat chasing a laser pointer when it comes to the puck versus following lanes and trading D assignments on the fly.   While I agree Boner is a few years away, not sure you can have a lot of similar players in the hopper and using contracts (assuming this one signs at some point) and something about Subban, even with Green as coach, concerns me.   

I agree, I'm just saying there's at least a couple years for Subban to establish himself before he's either traded or pushed farther down the depth chart and his shot at making it is over. As much as I would love to see him make it, I've got the feeling he's got to force his way into a few games this year or he may be forgotten. I'm not one to say he can't make it, but with other guys like Brisebois, Pedan, Holm, even Cederholm (I know they all have different styles and skillets), that there is going to be a larger pool of players to be calling up. Can't forget about OJ and Mceneny.

While Combine results aren't necessarily all that valuable for projecting success, it's nonetheless encouraging that Rathbone has some pretty strong results.

Tied for first in pull-ups and fourth in bench press. Which suggests he's already pretty solidly build for a smaller player.

Also placed top-15 in vertical jump and pro agility (L and R), which are some of the more "translatable" tests, when it comes to actual hockey performance.