The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

Holy $&!# this guy can skate. Was on vacation so i couldn't see the development camp. 

He's going to play at Harvard next year. He's also got a wicked clapper

Looks like he's got good vision on the ice as well. There are a couple of quick passing plays under pressure at the point that he handles very well.

• Upvote 1

From that video, Rathbone looks like Quinton Hughes.

Unreal Skating ability, can pass, good shot, can run the PP. He looks like the modern day puck moving d-man who exits and enters zones cleanly and effortlessly. Albeit it is high school hockey. Very interested in tracking him going forward in Harvard.

This prospect could be a gem and you have to think that way just because of the way our US scouts have been killing it at the draft.

Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Demko, etc

Kid can skate! Looks great carrying the puck and seems pretty creative with stick handling and passes. That 2017 draft is looking great as we have lots of hopefuls. Kudos to management I remember in that draft video them bringing up Rathbones name as our 4th round target before we drafted Dipietro in the 3rd.

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Lets take a step back haha. He's still in high school, lower league than most undrafted 17 year olds, once he's in the NCAA we will have a better idea. Probably take him 1-2 years to adjust to that. 

Perfectly said, its encouraging to see the skills this guy has and the way he skates...wow. He also didn't look terribly out of place in our prospects camp either, made some nice plays (besides getting dangled by Pettersson, but who doesn't he dangle!). A very raw long term project but he has the tools to succeed so we will just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 2

His game highlights reminded me of Lockwoods highlights. His skating is really good and vision looks to be close to elite level.  I really like this prospect. I look forward to seeing a bunch of these guys all playing in Utica with Demko. I think he could be part of our next crore group. Guys like him and Stetcher are what are being called the new modern NHL defence man. Small elite skating, puck moving and offence generating players. Hughes and Boquist are good examples of this at this years draft. How low they are ranked shows how impactful they can be on a game. 

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Perfectly said, its encouraging to see the skills this guy has and the way he skates...wow. He also didn't look terribly out of place in our prospects camp either, made some nice plays (besides getting dangled by Pettersson, but who doesn't he dangle!). A very raw long term project but he has the tools to succeed so we will just have to wait and see.

To be fair, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that scouts felt he would have gone much higher in the draft if he wasn't committed to high school. 

But yes, definitely a long term project with lots of boom/bust.

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that scouts felt he would have gone much higher in the draft if he wasn't committed to high school. 

But yes, definitely a long term project with lots of boom/bust.

Yeah, I’ve seen credible sources suggest Rathbone could’ve been as high as a first round pick if he’d been playing in one of the more prestigious junior leagues.

And pretty much every time I’ve heard somebody familiar with New England prep/highschool hockey talk about him, it’s been a big gushfest about how talented he is and the huge upside/potential he has. 

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I’ve seen credible sources suggest Rathbone could’ve been as high as a first round pick if he’d been playing in one of the more prestigious junior leagues.

And pretty much every time I’ve heard somebody familiar with New England prep/highschool hockey talk about him, it’s been a big gushfest about how talented he is and the huge upside/potential he has. 

Be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years. I always love following guys like this. Great stories when they turn out ::D 

Edited by aGENT

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

His game highlights reminded me of Lockwoods highlights. His skating is really good and vision looks to be close to elite level.  I really like this prospect. I look forward to seeing a bunch of these guys all playing in Utica with Demko. I think he could be part of our next crore group. Guys like him and Stetcher are what are being called the new modern NHL defence man. Small elite skating, puck moving and offence generating players. Hughes and Boquist are good examples of this at this years draft. How low they are ranked shows how impactful they can be on a game. 

Although likely by the time he goes pro Demko will be with the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s high school?  Crap!  That pretty close to our BCJHL.  This kid is something special.  

Alf, it is high school but these are Athletic Academies combining education with athletic development. We have the same type of leagues in Canada as well and the quality of play is very high. I am quite familiar with the Edge Academy here in Calgary and they have had a lot of graduates that have been drafted into the NHL. Jake Bean was a first round pick for Carolina and he was a graduate of the Edge program. Matt Dumba (and his brothers) attended Edge and Matt was a 1st round pick of Minnesota. Kids attend these prep schools to get drafted into Major Junior programs or go on to college for further development. The paragraph below should give you an indication of some of the NHL stars that have played in these academies across North America at some point. By the way, it is $35,000 per year to attend school at Edge and be in the hockey program!

Traditionally, much of the US-born talent in the NHL has been the product of the Minnesota High School hockey system or the New England Prep School System. The emergence of the US NTDP has change these statistics some, but prep schools have produced the likes of Brian Leetch, Zach Parise, Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, Max Pacioretty, Jonathan Quick and an entirely new crop of talented young players like NHL Rookies Matt Dumba (MIN), Curtis Lazar (OTT) and Kevin Hayes (NYR). Just as importantly, prep schools have produced a very large number of highly successful individuals and may be an excellent option for your family

DIVISION: Midget Varsity
Standings Expanded Standings  
TEAM GP W L OTL PTS GF GA DIFF PCT STRK
Shawnigan 26 24 2 0 48 129 44 +85 0.923 L1
Pursuit 26 18 7 1 37 89 57 +32 0.712 W1
Pilot Mound 19 18 1 0 36 111 34 +77 0.947 W9
Delta 23 11 9 3 25 95 77 +18 0.543 W3
IHA 21 7 14 0 14 71 87 -16 0.333 L1
Edge 20 4 14 2 10 54 105 -51 0.250 L1
Banff 21 3 17 1 7 34 114 -80 0.167 L10
Okanagan 15 3 12 0 6 22 57 -35 0.200 L7
  • Upvote 1

Dhaliwal being Dhaliwal. Gets the interview with the mystery man.

Glad to read Rathbone is hitting the gym hard and working on his strength. Also good to finally get the scoop on his injury. Early reports were just a “tweak” so I was surprised when he missed so many games. Hairline fracture to his knee cap makes more sense and fits the timeline for how long he was out. 

And Kris Letang is a nice comparable. Wouldn’t mind adding a player like that to the lineup in a few years.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Dhaliwal being Dhaliwal. Gets the interview with the mystery man.

Glad to read Rathbone is hitting the gym hard and working on his strength. Also good to finally get the scoop on his injury. Early reports were just a “tweak” so I was surprised when he missed so many games. Hairline fracture to his knee cap makes more sense and fits the timeline for how long he was out. 

And Kris Letang is a nice comparable. Wouldn’t mind adding a player like that to the lineup in a few years.

But hopefully without the injury issues :P

I like his game more than Juolevi's.

This could be the Adam Gaudette of D-men prospects for us

Very Dynamic and likes to take control and rush the puck. Massive for today's NHL game.

Very exciting hearing he wants to make an impact right off the bat in his freshman year.