The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is key. I think Myers and Juolevi played well together for a stretch, Hamonic seems to complement Hughes well so I wonder if Schmidt (or Edler) on the off-side would complement a more mobile Rathbone well?

I'd be really interested to see Rathbone-Schmidt:  could be very dynamic and pretty solid defensively too.

Winnipeg will be another good test for Rathbone:  how does he hold up against those big forwards?  He'll be sheltered some, but not 100% on the road, so we'll get to see.  If he can handle that, we're looking good.

• Cheers 1

For the record I still like Travis Green as our coach. I don’t attribute much of our position in the standings to Green. He’s been dealt a tough hand in my opinion. And I REALLY like how he has handled our young players. That said…I’d like him to ease up on the sheltering of Rathbone’s minutes and deployment. I think the kid has much more to give if he is allowed to. Some of the little, imaginative passes to help us get us out of our zone impresses me just as much as his skating and shooting. +3 in three games suggests he probably should afford to be given a little more leash. 

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Rathbone is very good.  I have been nothing but impressed with him since he was drafted, and has been outstanding in his NHL stint so far.  I know this may not age well, and won't be popular, but I feel he is the better Defenseman than Quinn Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, Googlie said:

In one of his Observer-Dispatch interviews, Cull said he talks daily with Green about systems, strategy, player development, etc.  So they are on the same page.  I am sure that it's only a matter of time before Rathbone, for instance, replaces Schmidt or Myers on our PP2.  He was a force there in Utica.  As well, introducing Juolevi to our PK units is a no-brainer... he was the go-to guy there last season.  Personally, I think that OJ is  being groomed as the minute munching Edler replacement.

The one big disappointment for me is Green not deploying Rafferty.  Guy was a sensation last year.  AHL all star.  If I am Seattle, forget Holtby or Myers or Gadjovich - pick Rafferty (if Vancouver extends him) or sign him as a UFA.  He could be to them what Shea Theodore is to Vegas

Rafferty played one game with us this season and he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Unfortunately, AHL success does not always transfer over to the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Rafferty played one game with us this season and he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Unfortunately, AHL success does not always transfer over to the NHL. 

I’d like to give him like a 10 games stint to truly see if he can stick

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I’d like to give him like a 10 games stint to truly see if he can stick

Certainly more than one and out. He's a UFA this summer. I think they have the measure of Chatfield, Juolevi, Lind, Michaelis, Highmore and a couple of other, sufficien to reach a conclusion but I dont think they've really seen Rafferty. We know what Harmonic & Myers brings

On 5/8/2021 at 5:40 AM, Locke Lamora said:

I don’t see things like that at all.

I think that only after these two games Rathbone is very close to passing OJ on the depth chart. I’ve yet seen any evidence that Juolevi is a markedly better defender than Jack. Now, could Rathbone have a meltdown defensively here soon sort of like Chatfield did that put him out of the lineup for a while? Sure. But even if OJ “thinks” the game better defensively, Rathbone can do things athletically that can make up for this. Then you add the skating and powerful shot - that wrister top shelf was high end stuff, and he has a huge point shot as well - and I think we will end the year with Rathbone thought to be slotted higher than OJ in the D-man hierarchy. One thing is for sure, assuming that Rathbone plays in most of the remaining games (hopefully with OJ getting his fair share) we will have a better idea whether or not I’m spouting nonsense here. Which I very well may be…but it’s my read of things currently.

Reading between the lines, you can tell Travis Green is really excited about Jack as well.

Now, in saying that I think Rathbone is on the verge of eclipsing OJ in the lineup, I still think it’s very important to keep working with Juolevi and giving him ice time so that he becomes an everyday, dependable piece of the puzzle.

Ever since training camp I always thought Rathbone is better and ahead of Juolevi. Juolevi just seems to cautious doesn't really stand out eventhough he plays different style. 

• Vintage 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, BCNate said:

Rathbone is very good.  I have been nothing but impressed with him since he was drafted, and has been outstanding in his NHL stint so far.  I know this may not age well, and won't be popular, but I feel he is the better Defenseman than Quinn Hughes.

Sweet Lord above, I hope you’re right!!! 

On 5/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Just watched the highlights of the Jets game, did I see Hughes and Rathbone on the same powerplay?

Yes you did. Rathbone in the EP40 spot looking to get that one timer cannon firing. 

Rathbone is already better than Juolevi. He will be a lot closer to Hughes than Juolevi in a couple of years. 

Remember Rathbone played with Adam Fox at Harvard and didn’t look out of place at all compared to Fox. Fox is now a Norris Trophy candidate. That tells you everything you need to know about the potential of Jack Rathbone. 

• Like 1

Just now, reyezone said:

Yes you did. Rathbone in the EP40 spot looking to get that one timer cannon firing. 

I noticed Hughes and Miller were looking to get the puck to him which bodes well for his impression on his teammates. Miller was on his off wing (not one-timer side) and Boeser was near the net with Horvat at the bumper spot, an umbrella formation that they play when Petey is out there.

RB3 can rifle it. His puck skills look elite already- albeit I do get excited easily with new prospects. But he seems special. 

On 5/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, BCNate said:

Can’t disagree. Though the JBone sample has been small, this is my observation as well. Q will always be the more dynamic but also the riskier and less able to limit chances in the d-zone.

I’m somewhat hopeful that JBone’s accession will actually have a positive impact on Q (this and the procurement and development of a real #1), allowing him enough shelter to flourish and do his thing without being a target or a defensive lynch pin.