The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

10 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Rathboner made Troy expendable. It’s simple as that. Love Troy he played his heart Out every night. Hope we can bring him back at some point. 

Id still have resigned Stecher at that price. If you have to trade him in the future to balance the size in the lineup then oh well.

Benning has hamstrung himself into needing to make a trade for a RD.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id still have resigned Stecher at that price. If you have to trade him in the future to balance the size in the lineup then oh well.

I would think one contingency is to move Hughes to the right.  He has said he is equally comfortable either side, and in the offensive zone prefers being right side. So an option would be Hughes, Myers, Benn/Rafferty/Chatfield

LHD would then be Edler, Juolevi, Rathbone, Benn, Acquisition (not necessarily in that order)

Left hand D's seem to.be 2 a penny

36 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I would think one contingency is to move Hughes to the right.  He has said he is equally comfortable either side, and in the offensive zone prefers being right side. So an option would be Hughes, Myers, Benn/Rafferty/Chatfield

LHD would then be Edler, Juolevi, Rathbone, Benn, Acquisition (not necessarily in that order)

I dislike that because I prefer to keep players on their strong handed side, but your right that could happen

39 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Ugh! Take Hughes out and that is an AHL defence.

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

When Benning is decisive, he can make moves in a hurry.  For example, on Friday morning when he knew that Marky wasn't going to sign, he had Holtby inked within an hour of free agency opening up (Dahliwal's post was 10:14).  This makes me think that he wasn't motivated to re-sign Tanev.

FWIW I am perplexed by what people have been saying about Benning not wanting to sign anybody for more than 2 years.  It looks like it could be true but what about taking on OEL for 7 years at 8.25?  

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

FWIW I am perplexed by what people have been saying about Benning not wanting to sign anybody for more than 2 years. 

I think that was / is true for a lot of the GM's this year. There are not very many contracts being given out that are for longer than 3 years. Exceptions to that like Markstrom and a couple of others were likely due to very high demand for their services. From looking at what has transpired so far, it appears that most of the contracts are for minor league salaries in the 700k to 800k  range and two year terms.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:29 AM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Rathboner made Troy expendable. It’s simple as that. Love Troy he played his heart Out every night. Hope we can bring him back at some point. 

I disagree. Rathbone is a left-sided defenseman who has never played a NHL game. Don't think/hope he's not going to start the year off as a rookie on his off-side if the Canucks are fielding a healthy D. Gonna be a good call-up next year though, and him and Juolevi will battle it out for the bottom pairing left-side, my money is on Juolevi to start the year there though.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, Teemu Selänne said:

I disagree. Rathbone is a left-sided defenseman who has never played a NHL game. Don't think/hope he's not going to start the year off as a rookie on his off-side if the Canucks are fielding a healthy D. Gonna be a good call-up next year though, and him and Juolevi will battle it out for the bottom pairing left-side, my money is on Juolevi to start the year there though.

Based on how well his Harvard D partner Adam Fox did, I think Rathbone can become a full time NHL player this season if sheltered on the third pairing. They are comparable, physically and statistically (NCAA stats). Rathbone is somewhat less skilled but plays more physical. He is a slightly bigger but much more skilled Troy Stetcher.  However, Rathbone may not enjoy the support of a veteran D partner such as Chris Tanev if he is on the third pairing.

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1

It is all going to come down to Training Camp. I like the competition that Benning creates every year at the get go. Rathbone could surprise and land a spot on the roster and we could see a defense lineup getting relative equal minutes (except for Hughes).

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 3:00 PM, Victor1915 said:

The continued targeting of Hughes will inevitably result in an injury. Who replaces Huggy then?

Bud you think every team just has backups for their best players? By that logic they wouldn’t be the best players. Obviously it’s a huge hit for any team to lose a Norris caliber dman. 

On 8/17/2020 at 11:25 AM, CanuckCup2022 said:

Billionaires make the rules. Why would they do that?

Billionaires love the rules when they ascend the ladder, but want to burn the ladder that they ascended - and that requires changing the rules to keep them in the game against the innovative up and comers. The least supportive of capitalism are the capitalists - that's why all the big financial support for the Democrats is from those who've 'made it'. They believe in the fixed pie concept, but in their entrepreneurial phase believed that you make your own pie - but once you've baked your own pie, everybody and his dog wants a piece of it - but their biggest enemy are the new guys baking pies of their own.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, RetroCanuck said:

We resigned Stetcher by not re-signing him.

• Cheers 1

On October 11, 2020 at 2:56 PM, Victor1915 said:

Ugh! Take Hughes out and that is an AHL defence.

AHL D? YOU SMOKING CRACK??????

#1 Hughes - #1 Schmidt --- Top pair excellent---

Edler - Myers ---- Very good

Benn -- Rathbone, Juolevi , Rafferty....

Nothing wrong these guys can fill void of Stetcher...This is typical Canuck fans being negative, Rathbone will be a top 4 D man soon, much better then Stetcher...Glad anyone important don't read crap from negative fans..

BETTER DEFENCE THIS YEAR AND EXCITING TO SEE RATHBONE, JUOLEVI , RAFFERTY #5 SPOT    ...

NO FERLAND ?????? HANOMIC 6'2 GRITTY - STILL THINGS WILL HAPPEN...

Edited by wildcam
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:15 PM, Googlie said:

Hughes.                                          Schmidt

Edler                                               Rathbone/Rafferty/Chatfield

Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone                  Myers

Rathbone, like Hughes, plays either side. The reason for having young players paired with a seasoned pro is too obvious to need explanation... see Hughes/Tanev. Edler has lost a lot of mobility, I think being paired with a young mobile player would good for both Edler and his inexperienced partner. Juolevi or Rathbone should be good for a similar reason - both Juolevi and Rathbone are strong at advancing the puck, Rathbone also has exceptional wheels and both Rathbone and Juolevi are clever, creative players.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Hughes.                                          Schmidt

Edler                                               Rathbone/Rafferty/Chatfield

Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone                  Myers

Rathbone, like Hughes, plays either side. The reason for having young players paired with a seasoned pro is too obvious to need explanation... see Hughes/Tanev. Edler has lost a lot of mobility, I think being paired with a young mobile player would good for both Edler and his inexperienced partner. Juolevi or Rathbone should be good for a similar reason - both Juolevi and Rathbone are strong at advancing the puck, Rathbone also has exceptional wheels and both Rathbone and Juolevi are clever, creative players.

Unless I missed it, this is the first time I've heard that he can play both sides. Do you have a link that shows this? Not calling you out or anything, just curious as that would change things in defensive projections.

• Cheers 1