The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow.  Rathbone is gonna be a beauty.  Kid is bigger than Hughes and plays a tougher game as well.  If he was a righty oh my.  Benning sure knows how to pick them.  And Gadjovich as well.  He may get claimed by Seattle.  He looks like an NHL power forward.  Always knew the kid would be an NHL'er, he just looked the part in junior.  Only thing that has held him back was his skating, which has improved tremendously.

Rathbone, Gadjovich, Lind, Jasek.  I'd love to see all 4 in a Canucks uniform next year along with Podkolzin and Tryamkin.  The kids are gonna be alright.  This season may be a write off but if we get a coach who will play these kids then next year should be quite exciting I think...

If we are being honest, then you have to acknowledge that Travis has been great for all the young players on our roster.  
He hasn’t rushed them and has put them in situations to succeed. 

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Stay on topic guys......man! This is the Rathbone thread

Not the Lind, Woo, Hughes, or Gadjovich thread! LOL

No, it's the ADHD thread. (absolutely derailed highly dysfunctional) thread! Kidding, just having a laugh! 

Edit: But what a debut by Rathbone. That is so awesome. I'd like to see him get a shot up here soon. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a snippet of a good article:

Aside from a couple of scrimmages at the Vancouver Canucks’ training camp, Friday night’s match was the first time in 356 days that he had played a hockey game. Even with the long time away from the game, he did not miss a step. He looked so comfortable with the puck and made great passes through the neutral zone to spring forwards into the offensive zone.

“I was a kid in a candy store,” said Rathbone. “I got to come to the rink with a smile on my face and work hard.”

After skating with the Taxi Squad for the past five weeks, Rathbone was sent down to the AHL this past week. He immediately slotted into the Utica Comets’ lineup and was saddled alongside fellow Canucks prospect Jett Woo.

We all know that Rathbone can skate and pass, but the first thing that popped off the screen in his debut was his ability to defend against AHL competition. He had an active stick and was rarely found out of position.

“For a guy who hasn’t played in those five-on-five situations in a long time I thought he did a good job,” said Cull when asked about Rathbone’s defensive side of the game.

Cull broke down how Rathbone’s best defence is his ability to get pucks out of his zone quickly saying, “he’ll be a guy that we can’t wait to coach more of. I mean he’s such a good student, he wants to learn and he’s just a really good kid. Then you see how he snaps pucks and has that ability to move it and do it at a really good level. It’s something that’s a blessing. Every coach loves that, you love when a guy can snap and move pucks because that means you’re not spending time in your D zone.”

His defensive game was the thing that caught my eye early on, but the offence couldn’t hide for long. Rathbone did a tremendous job along the blue line when the Comets were in the offensive zone. He was creating space out of thin air with his fake shots and dekes around checking forwards. “Jack walks the line in the o-zone as good as anybody I’ve seen in this league,” said Cull when asked about Rathbone’s offence. “His head is always up when he has the puck, and he snaps pucks like an NHLer, you can see that immediately.”   (cont'd....)

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/02/27/canucks-jack-rathbone-picks-three-assists-professional-debut-utica-comets/

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Seen he had 3 assist. Didnt realize it was his first game Haha.

What are we going to do when we draft owen power...

Hughes 

OJ

Rathbone 

Not everyone can fit on the left side.

Benning could make the bold move of trading Hughes. 

Sounds crazy I know but if Byfield actually was available in LA that would be a deal I would consider.

Of course it would have to be dependent on us winning a top pick to get Power.

However having Byfield as your number one center and moving Petey to wing would give us a formidable future top 6.

Miller Byfield Pettersson

Podkolzin Horvat Boeser

Power Myers

Juolevi Tryamkin

Rathbone Woo

Completely changes the dynamic of our team. Suddenly we’ve got a 6’4” number 1 center and a 6’6” number one D.

The type of move that can change a franchises trajectory completely.