The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For me, the only thing that I feel pretty sure about is the quality of Rathbone’s skating. Whether it’s in his current Prep league or the taste we got at Vancouver’s camp, he looks a cut above and very special. It remains to be seen how well the rest of his toolbox will translate to higher levels, but he’ll be an NHL grade skater at very least. And that alone can get a guy a long way. If the rest of his skills follow suit—look out because we’ll have quite a player then.

Skating is really the biggest need of NHL D men. With the speed of the game, outside of some border line bottom six fill ins, 

If Rathbone can just develop a sound defensive game and awareness and the ability to skate the puck out of trouble, he would be a huge success as a fourth rounder.  

Could JB found another gem like Gaudette?  We need d men so

badly that he will get some looks. 

EmW

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For me, the only thing that I feel pretty sure about is the quality of Rathbone’s skating. Whether it’s in his current Prep league or the taste we got at Vancouver’s camp, he looks a cut above and very special. It remains to be seen how well the rest of his toolbox will translate to higher levels, but he’ll be an NHL grade skater at very least. And that alone can get a guy a long way. If the rest of his skills follow suit—look out because we’ll have quite a player then.

Don't think I've ever been so excited about a player who you really don't know anything about due to the lack of information. I am definitely reserving judgement and hope that he will surprise next year at Harvard. If there's one positive that I can take out of him remaining with the highschool league is that it will allow him to keep working on his offensive skills, maybe more so than if he were in the NCAA this year.

Edited by TGokou
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I agree on nearly every point. I think as far as predictions go, they’re fine to make at this point in the development cycle, but they just don’t have a tonne of actual predictive value. I can look at hundreds of teenagers and see possible future NHLers in them. But I know that only a small percentage of them will ever come close. That doesn’t stop me from saying they might skate or shoot like (insert name of NHL star). But I assume most people who frequent this forum understand that point (although recently it’s been brought to my attention that some people might not).

I was at the Kootenay Ice vs Tri-City Americans game the other night. Tri-City had 6 NHL drafted players on their roster. Kootenay Ice had nil! The Ice won the game easily with a much younger roster. Of the 6 drafted Tri-City players none stood out other than Bean. I was pretty surprised.

Here's an article updating the rankings for the USHS division that Dexter Southfield is in:

https://nzprephockey.com/2018/02/20/neutral-zone-prep-hockey-poll-week-10/

Dexter is ranked 4th, and here is the writer's quip on the team:

Dexter (19-4-2) is making a late push for home ice in the playoffs, winning 11 consecutive games while defeating Winchendon and Thayer. While Dexter’s strength of schedule is not as difficult as that of higher-ranked teams, it does have star players in each position and the best defenseman in the league in Jack Rathbone. The offense has recently been kickstarted, and Dexter has scored five or more goals in nine of the last 10.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Two goals for Jack last night!

Great news. I think if we expect him to be a really good player in the NHL one day he needs to continue at a 1.75-2 PPG pace in this league as a D+1. So far it seems as though he is accomplishing that. 

36 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Here's an article updating the rankings for the USHS division that Dexter Southfield is in:

https://nzprephockey.com/2018/02/20/neutral-zone-prep-hockey-poll-week-10/

Dexter is ranked 4th, and here is the writer's quip on the team:

USHR.com also lists Dexter 4th in their rankings.

And from that site:

“Except for sophomore D Ben Meehan, who is out for the season, everyone is healthy. And it shows as Dexter is on an 11-game win streak. They are also 4-1-1 vs. the Top 10 (beat Thayer 2x, beat Rivers, split with Cushing, and tied Exeter). John Farinacci is 17-9-26 over his last 10 games. Jack Rathbone is 8-14-22 in 12 games since returning from an injury Jan. 12th. LAST WEEK: Beat Berwick 4-1, beat Winchendon 5-3, beat Kents Hill 5-1, beat New Hampton 6-3. THIS WEEK: @ St. Paul's (Fri.)”

USHR lists Rathbone’s season stats at 25 points (9G 16A) in 14 games. They have him at 1.79 points per game and leading their defenseman rankings for New England Prep.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Skating is really the biggest need of NHL D men.

Hard to argue this. It gets guys as good ( :huh: ) as Bartkowski an NHL job, costs Clendenning his opportunity?  

But there is just as important and more rare a component IMO?  

Composure with the puck; the ability to make simple, quick decisions correctly when making plays under pressure!

The single biggest defining characteristic among the good athetes who play D...

• Upvote 2

On 2018-02-22 at 10:04 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Hard to argue this. It gets guys as good ( :huh: ) as Bartkowski an NHL job, costs Clendenning his opportunity?  

But there is just as important and more rare a component IMO?  

Composure with the puck; the ability to make simple, quick decisions correctly when making plays under pressure!

The single biggest defining characteristic among the good athetes who play D...

IQ for the game is a singular talent. Absolutely. 

Just glad that a lower pick d man has excellent skating. If he only ever makes the NHL as a Bartkowski, he will have beaten the odds.  

Who knows, after JB finding Gaudette, he seems to have a keen scout in the New England states that can unearth some late round gems. 

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That's impressive especially considering the time Jack missed to start the season, one heck of a year for the kid. John Farinacci the only Junior out of the East, that is quite impressive itself. 

Congrats to both

Edited by Sedinery33

26 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

That's impressive especially considering the time Jack missed to start the season, one heck of a year for the kid. John Farinacci the only Junior out of the East, that is quite impressive itself. 

Congrats to both

Farinacci is an interesting one to follow. 2019 draft eligible and Harvard commit. IIRC he just missed out on making the USNTDP (which is a really deep program right now, especially among the 2019 draft eligibles), and he’s been putting up really great numbers with Dexter as a 16/17 year old. Could be a player to watch and nice to know our scouts and development staff will have seen a whole lot of him while following Rathbone.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typo
  • Upvote 1