The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

That narrative would make sense in this context if only there had been an effort to unload Edler for draft picks or other players.  Since there's never been an effort to move Edler I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Edler has a NMC. Given to him by JB. So he plays here or he retires in June. I'd think after the expansion he'll resign for a lessor salary, still a solid experienced player that eats up a lot of minutes

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Train Wreck GIF by memecandy

it's good if we want to get back to 1985 though

I dont know about that. Oilers were spanking us on a nightly basis back in 1985. 

Canucks lost 13 - 0 to the Oilers one night in 1985.

• Sad 1

Well, back on the Rathbone train, it is moving along smoothly, and looks to be on time.

It looks to be a proto-type, with a strong engine to pull it down the tracks without hesitation

but looks to be able to pull a heavy load when asked.

It is in its last year of testing, and should be ready by the beginning of the fall season.

Engineers have stated that all passengers will be very happy with its ability to perform

under adverse conditions and the owners have said that it is a luxury to have 2 outstanding

trains that will compete in the market for years to come.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

That narrative would make sense in this context if only there had been an effort to unload Edler for draft picks or other players.  Since there's never been an effort to move Edler I'm not sure where you're going with this.

The context is Vancouver fans not having realistic evaluations of their players, Edler being a Vancouver player, means he is probably overvalued in Vancouver. And there is the issue of JB overvaluing older players: Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson and not recognizing debilitating histories such as Baertschi and Ferland.

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The context is Vancouver fans not having realistic evaluations of their players, Edler being a Vancouver player, means he is probably overvalued in Vancouver. And there is the issue of JB overvaluing older players: Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson and not recognizing debilitating histories such as Baertschi and Ferland.

But that context doesn't apply in Edler's position.  He's not going anywhere and I think Canucks fans have realistic views of his value.  He's an aging d-man who is mostly solid but makes his share of mistakes.  Nothing flashy, but he can still eat up a decent number of minutes when needed to.  He'll be a decent 3rd pairing guy going forward if he can be re-signed for a reasonable rate.  Take a deep breath.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, back on the Rathbone train, it is moving along smoothly, and looks to be on time.

It looks to be a proto-type, with a strong engine to pull it down the tracks without hesitation

but looks to be able to pull a heavy load when asked.

It is in its last year of testing, and should be ready by the beginning of the fall season.

Engineers have stated that all passengers will be very happy with its ability to perform

under adverse conditions and the owners have said that it is a luxury to have 2 outstanding

trains that will compete in the market for years to come.

They will not be like the trains in North America.  Bullet trains.

11 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

But that context doesn't apply in Edler's position.  He's not going anywhere and I think Canucks fans have realistic views of his value.  He's an aging d-man who is mostly solid but makes his share of mistakes.  Nothing flashy, but he can still eat up a decent number of minutes when needed to.  He'll be a decent 3rd pairing guy going forward if he can be re-signed for a reasonable rate.  Take a deep breath.

Edler has played a lot of hard minutes as the top d-man in Vancouver for a decade. A big question I have is how many minutes a game will he need to maintain his effectiveness. He played lots of 25 minutes games and played at a high level. Can he do the same at 12-15 minutes? At 34 does he see himself to young to drop into a bottom pairing? Will he demand a multi year renewal? It might come down to a choice between signing Eddie and Hamonic.  

• Upvote 1

I said it before and I'll say it again. It's a hill I'm willing to die on but Jack Rathbone should be playing instead of Juolevi.  I got shredded when I said this in training camp but in my opinion Rathbone is better. Better speed, poise, awareness and better overall offensive talent.  Juolevi even in his sheltered minutes has been subpar.  Anyway, whats up with Taxi Squad stats?  It's like they've been completely deleted, erased from reality.  They're not on the roster, not in the team stats, not anywhere.  you have to manually enter in Juolevi to find him.  I thought the Canucks had traded DiPietro, I couldn't find him anywhere.  Not in Utica, not on the Canucks roster, not in the stats coulomb, nowhere.  Airbrushed out of existence. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Merely pointing this out makes Juolevi fanboys go Reeeee!  Hearing "he not flashy" doesn't tell the rest of the story.    

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Using data from years ago does not indicate how he is playing now.

At no point does this post indicate he is being sheltered in the NHL.

37 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Merely pointing this out makes Juolevi fanboys go Reeeee!  Hearing "he not flashy" doesn't tell the rest of the story.    

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (8).png

So you're looking at point potentials (the flashy part of the game). As I said, Juolevi isn't flashy thus he can play a solid defensive game and move the puck well and still be effective at the NHL level. Not sure why there is a need to pit one against the other especially when they play different roles/styles.

Juolevi has had time in the AHL, nothing wrong with Rathbone getting some time against pros in a men's league. Juolevi has looked good in his games that he has played and has been surprisingly physical (something that also is overlooked when looking at statistics that only focuses on points).

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So you're looking at point potentials (the flashy part of the game). As I said, Juolevi isn't flashy thus he can play a solid defensive game and move the puck well and still be effective at the NHL level. Not sure why there is a need to pit one against the other especially when they play different roles/styles.

Juolevi has had time in the AHL, nothing wrong with Rathbone getting some time against pros in a men's league. Juolevi has looked good in his games that he has played and has been surprisingly physical (something that also is overlooked when looking at statistics that only focuses on points).

no, just looking at the overall skill level of both players.  You can twist your reality to fit what you want however you like.  I won't judge. edit: and we're not just looking at point potentials, we're looking at their production thus far in their careers.  Rathbone is a year younger and doing better in underlying analytical metrics  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

Using data from years ago does not indicate how he is playing now.

At no point does this post indicate he is being sheltered in the NHL.

dude it says 2020-2021, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Screenshot (10).png

Edited by Pure961089

19 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

dude it says 2020-2021, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Screenshot (10).png

This is a graph of projected  points potential, not what the player is actually doing.

I see nothing about Ollie being sheltered ?

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1