The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Well, I am going to be a hopeful Canuck fan here

We have 4 totally awesome Dmen under 23 years of age

So, here is what could happen, and what I see each Dman as

21 years old..................Quinn Hughes...............Offense 10/10.............Defense 4/10

21 years old..................Jack Rathbone..............Offense 8/10...............Defense 6/10

22 years old..................Olli Juolevi.....................Offense 4/10...............Defense 7/10

20 years old..................Jett Woo.........................Offense 4/10..............Defense 6/10

In all 4 cases, their weakness have the chance to improve, all 3 out of 4 "Could" be above average

This "could" be our starting D for the next 8 years in a year or 2

And to me, Rathbone "could" be a more rounded and a better Dman than Hughes when this all plays out

The Best is yet to come! All will contribute, that is what matters!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I am going to be a hopeful Canuck fan here

We have 4 totally awesome Dmen under 23 years of age

So, here is what could happen, and what I see each Dman as

21 years old..................Quinn Hughes...............Offense 10/10.............Defense 4/10

21 years old..................Jack Rathbone..............Offense 8/10...............Defense 6/10

22 years old..................Olli Juolevi.....................Offense 4/10...............Defense 7/10

20 years old..................Jett Woo.........................Offense 4/10..............Defense 6/10

In all 4 cases, their weakness have the chance to improve, all 3 out of 4 "Could" be above average

This "could" be our starting D for the next 8 years in a year or 2

And to me, Rathbone "could" be a more rounded and a better Dman than Hughes when this all plays out

The Best is yet to come! All will contribute, that is what matters!

Why would OJ only get a 4 for offense and a 7 for defense?  I'd say his offense would be a 6, at least and defense probably an 8 and going up

• Cheers 1

If the Canucks want to see any of the Utica players in a Canuck uniform this year they better begin to plan to bring them up.  They need to quarantine for 14 days before they can even start practicing, etc.  As for the taxi squad--do they practice with the team?  If they aren't going to be put into the line up then why not send them somewhere where they can get some real hockey action?  Put a taxi squad team into the WHL bubble in Kelowna or Kamloops!  LOL

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would OJ only get a 4 for offense and a 7 for defense?  I'd say his offense would be a 6, at least and defense probably an 8 and going up

Just being a little conservative, stawns....I hope you are right!

Curious, Could you see Hughes being moved over to the right side?

I do not think it is a certainty, just a option, if all our LHD develop

To me, it depends on how high Rathbone reaches on his ceiling 

Edited by janisahockeynut

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Rafferty is like 27 so you cant compare him to Rathbone, who's 1 of only 10 players in the last decade to score a point a game in college.  edit: ok so he's 25. still too old to compare though.

Was 24 when he tore up the AHL.  Rathbone will be 22 when his first AHL season ends  - not so wide a gap as you are implying 

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and his game  ... he might yet be the equal of Hughes.  Just saying 3 games at the pro level is a small sample.  Last season, for example, Bailey had 3 hat tricks in 4 games in 5 nights.  Does that make him the next Gretzky? Ofc not.  Let's see where Rathbone finishes at seasons end

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Was 24 when he tore up the AHL.  Rathbone will be 22 when his first AHL season ends  - not so wide a gap as you are implying 

It's a 3-year gap in terms of their ages through their first AHL season, not a 2-year gap. You're measuring Rafferty by his age during his season and Rathbone by what his age will be at the end of his. They're both May birthdays. 3 years is a big deal.

Rathbone is far and away the better player.

e: and to respond to your edit, there are things you can look for outside of basic numbers and statistics to determine a player's likely worth before they even enter the NHL, such as their skills, technique and awareness/IQ; Justin Bailey does not pass the eye test, whereas Jack Rathbone has exceeded in it at every level.

And it's not really a 3-game sample size considering he played 61 games at the collegiate level before turning professional -- games in which he excelled all the same as he has been doing in Utica. Players exist before they enter the professional leagues, and there are ways to evaluate them independently of raw statistics.

Edited by GoCanucks16
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Rathbone's more dynamic and will likely put up more points than OJ. OJ will probably play more minutes, in more situations. 

I'm happy we have both ::D

I need to see a bigger body of work from Rathbone, but from what I have seen, this kid makes great defensive reads and is mobile laterally to a degree unmatched in this organization short of Hughes. This kid anticipates developing plays and jumps up to attack forwards at their most vulnerable time, just as they are turning the head back to receive the puck. So far, in this limited opportunity to see him, his timing on those plays has been impeccable. Three times in the last game he arrived at the pass receiver just as he was receiving the puck, all three times the puck turned over and he transitioned the play back into a Comet offence. We do not have another defender who does that - Edler used to when he was younger, and there would be some massive collisions with opposing forwards who after thought twice about looking back to receive a pass. That reaction time and timing is rarely there for a Edler anymore. 

Now Jack is not big at 5’11 190, but I have read that he is a workoutaholic - he reminds me of the kind of physicality that Stetcher brought, but Rathbone prefers to use his skill and anticipation to spring pucks loose. There are no flies on this kid defensively, but he may be vulnerable to bigger, stronger players in the NHL. But from what I have seen here, he consistently gets inside routes, very slightly ahead of the attacker and keeps them off balance to the outside.

At this early point, I don’t see that he will be victimized defensively in the way that Hughes is too often. So, I don’t see his minutes diminished for defensive insufficiency.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So you're looking at point potentials (the flashy part of the game). As I said, Juolevi isn't flashy thus he can play a solid defensive game and move the puck well and still be effective at the NHL level. Not sure why there is a need to pit one against the other especially when they play different roles/styles.

Juolevi has had time in the AHL, nothing wrong with Rathbone getting some time against pros in a men's league. Juolevi has looked good in his games that he has played and has been surprisingly physical (something that also is overlooked when looking at statistics that only focuses on points).

Totally agree. If the plan is to see both of these players make the club then have Rathbone play a season in Utica. Joulevi needs NHL TOI. He is sitting right now and I am not particularly happy about it. I can see Green's rationale as he wants more stability and confidence within the existing lineup and winning does that. As much as no one wants to see injuries they will likely happen and OJ goes back in. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. If the plan is to see both of these players make the club then have Rathbone play a season in Utica. Joulevi needs NHL TOI. He is sitting right now and I am not particularly happy about it. I can see Green's rationale as he wants more stability and confidence within the existing lineup and winning does that. As much as no one wants to see injuries they will likely happen and OJ goes back in. 

It is kind of surprising that we have had so few injuries on the blueline halfway through this compressed season. Considering that this year we have young Dmen we would like to see get NHL time, and we could use some minor injuries to get them into the lineup, I guess that's just Canuck luck lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

It is kind of surprising that we have had so few injuries on the blueline halfway through this compressed season. Considering that this year we have young Dmen we would like to see get NHL time, and we could use some minor injuries to get them into the lineup, I guess that's just Canuck luck lol.

Tanev plays for Calgary now...  <_<

• Haha 2

Rathbone and Rafferty are 4 years apart. Rathbone at age 20 was already tearing up the NCAA while Rafferty at age 20 wasn’t even playing in the NCAA yet. No comparison whatsoever. 

Rafferty will be a career AHL’er. Rathbone will be in the NHL next year and looks like a top 4 defenceman. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rafferty will be a career AHL’er. Rathbone will be in the NHL next year and looks like a top 4 defenceman. 

You may well be right.  Or not.  Only time will tell.  But even an AHL career with a player with just one and 1/4 eyes would be an accomplishment.  But the fact that he is a puck - moving RHD puts the probability of his having an NHL career fairly high... I just hope that it is with us.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tanev plays for Calgary now...  <_<

The Canucks blueline injury woes predate Tanev's. 10 years ago, when major injuries on defence allowed us to keep all of Hamhuis, Edler, Juice, Salo and Ehrhoff for our Cup finals run, Tanev's nickname at the time was "Gumby" because he seemed to be made of rubber. When he was hit, he just bounced right back and never seemed to get injured.

• Upvote 1

Man, Jack has 5 points in 3 games (1g 4a) and the kid can skate like the wind.  He may not have Quinn's shiftiness but he is a powerful skater and may challenge Hogz as a gym rat.  Kid is built like a fire hydrant.  He hits hard as well.  I am thinking that he maybe the best dman prospect we have (including the guys we have on the Taxi Squad).  I think he is ready now but what do you all think?  Jett Woo has looked confident and he and Jack make a great d pairing. B)

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2