The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Live stream tomorrow:

EDIT: Yes, an actual opportunity to watch Rathbobe play and prove that he indeed exists! ;) 

EDIT2: I’ve heard from some people that embedded tweets don’t show up on their screens so here’s the direct YouTube link for tomorrow:

wow I hope I can watch this! Really want to see what kind of player we have. Is that 3PM eastern or pacific?

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

wow I hope I can watch this! Really want to see what kind of player we have. Is that 3PM eastern or pacific?

Looks like the stream goes live at 2:30 Pacific.

EDIT: Ugh... 2:30 Eastern! Sorry guys, I’ve been overworked and underslept and the brain’s been fried a bit lately.

Going live at 11:30 in Vancouver and puckdrop probably around noon.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Stream live in 108 minutes. 

11:30 PST (Vancouver time). Not 2:30 as I’d posted earlier.

Huge apologies if anyone misses out (based on my earlier post) who had planned to watch today.

Get outta here with your apologies. You're doing the Gord's work.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Just a few notes:

Salisbury (today’s opponent) in the number 1 ranked team in New England Prep (I believe they’ve been 1 every week and have only lost once), so this is about as tough as the games get for Dexter (ranked 4th).

The announcers are Salisbury homers. Wow are they ever, lol.

Rathbone is #5. He’s looked quite good. Even got the announcers talking on a couple shifts.

Forgot to add a stats update:

Rathbone finishes out the regular season with 30 points (11G 19A) in 17 games played (he missed a bunch of games with an early season knee injury).

His 1.76 points per game is good for first overall among New England Prep defensemen.

EDIT: Rathbone still has two major tournaments left to play. One for his prep school league playoffs and another for a regional team that qualified as the State representatives for a national tornament in the Spring.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Forgot to add a stats update:

Rathbone finishes out the regular season with 30 points (11G 19A) in 17 games played (he missed a bunch of games with an early season knee injury).

His 1.76 points per game is good for first overall among New England Prep defensemen.

EDIT: Rathbone still has two major tournaments left to play. One for his prep school league playoffs and another for a regional team that qualified as the State representatives for a national tornament in the Spring.

Are they any NHL comparable out there for Rathbone?  Guys that have played in the same league in their D+1 year

22 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Are they any NHL comparable out there for Rathbone?  Guys that have played in the same league in their D+1 year

As far as I know, there are no statistical comparables for a current or former NHL defenseman who took the same route as Rathbone is currently on.

But mostly that’s just because it’s a very small sample to draw from so it’s not something to worry about.

Once he’s in college next year, the models will be able to spit out a bunch of comparables based on how he performs at that level.

Also, I’m pretty sure their are a few good current NCAA players who took a similar route (Donato comes to mind—not a D but he played his D+1 for Dexter) and look poised for NHL success in the near future.

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

As far as I know, there are no statistical comparables for a current or former NHL defenseman who took the same route as Rathbone is currently on.

But mostly that’s just because it’s a very small sample to draw from so it’s not something to worry about.

Once he’s in college next year, the models will be able to spit out a bunch of comparables based on how he performs at that level.

Also, I’m pretty sure their are a few good current NCAA players who took a similar route (Donato comes to mind—not a D but he played his D+1 for Dexter) and look poised for NHL success in the near future.

Ya I wasn't worried more curious if it were possible to compare his stats to a player that has made the NHL.  Really hard to say if his 1.8ppg is good or not for an NHL hopeful in that league.  Just have to wait until next year in the NCAA to see.  I did look up Donato's stats and he had about a 2.5ppg in his draft year then dropped to a 1.6ppg in his D+1.  He looked like one of the better players on team USA but I have no idea on his chances at being an NHL player.

Also on Dexters website they do list all of their drafted players.  4 of them.

Ryan Donato – Boston Bruins

Tim Harrison – Calgary Flames

Cam Darcy – Tampa Bay Lightning

Jack Rathbone – Vancouver Canucks

28 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya I wasn't worried more curious if it were possible to compare his stats to a player that has made the NHL.  Really hard to say if his 1.8ppg is good or not for an NHL hopeful in that league.  Just have to wait until next year in the NCAA to see.  I did look up Donato's stats and he had about a 2.5ppg in his draft year then dropped to a 1.6ppg in his D+1.  He looked like one of the better players on team USA but I have no idea on his chances at being an NHL player.

Also on Dexters website they do list all of their drafted players.  4 of them.

Ryan Donato – Boston Bruins

Tim Harrison – Calgary Flames

Cam Darcy – Tampa Bay Lightning

Jack Rathbone – Vancouver Canucks

As far as I understand it, Donato’s PPG dropped because Dexter moved up into a higher tier group between his draft year and D+1. I believe their program is pretty young as far as them playing in the elite tier of New England Prep. As I understand it, they used to play in the “small school” group which would have been a significantly lower level of competition. Just going off some things I’ve read as I’m by no means an expert on prep school hockey on the other side of the continent.

Typos
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Dexter’s season ended with the loss to Salisbury. Didn’t realize at the time that the game was a one and out elimination.

So Rathbone’s next game should be April 5th when the Cape Cod Whalers 18U (regional 18 and under team) go to the Tier 1 18U National Championship.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/news_article/show/892546?referrer_id=3902893

Cape Cod opens their tournament against against PAL Islanders:

https://nationals.usahockey.com/tournaments/5a9d94e6951b9166b30002c7/games/5ab3dd334a397b2b4100001d?referrer=4024088

https://nationals.usahockey.com/page/show/3902893-2018-youth-tier-i-18u

EDIT: menu on last link has full tournament schedule and brackets and also appears it will track the results and player stats when the tournament gets underway 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has this been posted yet

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/20/canucksarmy-2018-mid-term-prospect-ranking-15-jack-rathbone/

CanucksArmy 2018 Mid-term Prospect Ranking: #15 Jack Rathbone

MARCH 20, 2018, 10:00 AM | VANESSA JANG

With their fourth-round pick in this past June’s NHL Entry Draft, Jim Benning and his scouting staff went an unconventional route, selecting Massachusetts native Jack Rathbone out of the United States High School hockey ranks. Despite deferring his freshman year in the NCAA, he’s put up impressive numbers with Dexter High School and will continue to be a player to keep an eye on in the future. Jack Rathbone checks in at No. 15 in CanucksArmy’s 2018 Mid-term Prospect Rankings.

First, a quick review of how these rankings were formed. Seven lists, including six from Canucks Army writers (myself, Jeremy Davis, J.D. Burke, Ryan Biech, Jackson McDonald, and Janik Beichler) plus the reader rankings, were consolidated into one list. The parameters are that each prospect must:

• be under the age of 25;
  • have played fewer than 25 NHL games; and
  • be under contract to the Vancouver Canucks or on their reserve (e.g. as an unsigned draft choice).

#15: Jack Rathbone

Preseason Ranking: #17

Age: 18 – Position: Defence – Shoots: Left – Height: – 5’10″ – Weight: 170 lbs

Given that Rathbone plays low-profile high school hockey, it’s obviously challenging to provide a definitive analysis of how he projects. However, what we do know is that, based on several scouting reports, his strengths are his skating and puck-moving abilities — just what the Canucks need.

screen-shot-2018-03-14-at-7-37-42-pm.png

#Canucks prospect Jack Rathbone is up to 10 goals and 19 assists in 16 USHS Games with Dexter School.

Will be interesting to see how he handles the NCAA next season - but his offensive awareness and skating will be helpful in making the transition a bit easier.

•  

Based on this highlight video from a game back in November, Rathbone shows well against his peers and is an obvious stand-out. No. 5 in white, his skating ability an apparent strength of his. He’s quick and agile, and generally extremely smooth on his feet. He absolutely loves to get in on the offence, often moving down to the circles to take a shot. He also possesses solid hockey sense and quick decision-making skills which, together with his skating ability, can help him get out of trouble when taking an offensive gamble. It’s hard to predict how his defensive game will translate to the NCAA level, but his offensive abilities are certainly worth taking a flyer on in the late rounds of the draft.

In the Canucks’ behind-the-scenes video at the 2017 NHL Draft, we got a brief glimpse of what the scouting staff, specifically John Weisbrod and Judd Brackett, think of Rathbone:

Weisbrod (to Benning and Brackett): Rathbone, Jack Rathbone.

Brackett: If he’s there in the fourth?

Weisbrod: Yeah, if Jack Rathbone’s there. Rathbone is an elite skater.

Benning: We should take him.

Brackett: And he can absolutely hammer the puck.

Brackett, the Canucks’ Director of Amateur Scouting, actually has quite the history with Rathbone. Both are from the New England area, which means Brackett has been able to watch him play and develop throughout his career. For those hesitant about high school players, the familiarity should undoubtedly create some optimism that the Canucks may have found a diamond in the rough.

Brackett: “I’ve known Jack; he’s actually played some summer tournaments for me back in the day. I have quite a bit a familiarity with him. A tremendous skater, puck mover, likes to get up in the play, has power-play ability, big shot from the point. Very exciting. The (high school) level is the level, but I’m not worried about Jack. He’s a self-starter and a go-getter. I expect him to dominate the way he did this year and continue to push the envelope.”

Speaking of diamonds in the rough, I was driven by curiosity to uncover just how many players drafted out of high school went on to become regular NHL players. Let me preface this by noting that I went through each draft dating back to the year 2000. Considering the total amount of players drafted from high school, the statistics just aren’t in favour of the prospects. Nonetheless, a majority of the success stories didn’t just make the NHL, but they’ve also thrived in the NHL.

screen-shot-2018-03-14-at-10-14-38-pm.pn

Rathbone will attend Harvard next season and suit up in maroon and white. It’s difficult quantitativelyto project his potential, but he’s the first pure offensive defenseman that the Canucks have drafted since Jordan Subban. There’s no doubt that he’s a long-term project whose odds are stacked against him, but it’s exciting to think about his offensive potential and what he could potentially bring to the Canucks in the future.

• Upvote 2

Rathbone should be playing today for Cape Cod Whalers 18U in the Tier I National Championship. 

Games will be broadcast on HockeyTV:

https://www.hockeytv.com/#/

Might want to try signing up for the free account. In past years, they’ve offered some games free without subscription.

The subscription itself is around $30 a month and gets you access to a tonne of hockey.

• Upvote 1