The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 3/28/2021 at 1:01 AM, filthycanuck said:

He's also only played 4 AHL games and people are already annointing him as the 2nd coming of Scott Niedermeyer. Seriously, we need to ease up on the whole Rathbone hype. Lot of CDCers are expecting Podz, OJ, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone making the team next season LOL. 6 rookies, geezus. 2 making it is already massive feat on its own, let alone 6

That's just what some said about QH and EP and BH before that...

You guys keep up the naysaying and the rest of us will keep telling it like it is....!

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes he's one. But I'm thinking.some taller bigger kids. Woo is 6.0 ft 200lbs. He's coming along and will take another cpl years of development in Utica and as a rookie on the Canucks. 

We need to draft cpl bigger guys like Edler at 6'3. Hopefully we fund a stud in this year's draft. We should have a top 10 pick again so someone will be available.  

Woo plays pretty 'big' FWIW. Think Bieksa.

We do have some longer shot bigger guys like Jurmo etc as well. But there's certainly room for more. Particularly of the 'blue chip' variety, I agree.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Clarke is who we want!  :frantic:

Yes please! Not sure we'll be picking early enough for him though... Maybe this is the year we finally get lotto luck :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Woo plays pretty 'big' FWIW. Think Bieksa.

We do have some longer shot bigger guys like Jurmo etc as well. But there's certainly room for more. Particularly of the 'blue chip' variety, I agree.

Yes please! Not sure we'll be picking early enough for him though... Maybe this is the year we finally get lotto luck :lol:

I thought Rathbone had played some RD in college? Fox with Rathbone. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Rathbone had played some RD in college? Fox with Rathbone. 

As Fred noted I believe that was Fox. But he, like Hughes, can likely pay both sides (given their more free wheeling nature), yes.

Naturally though, he's a LD.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

As Fred noted I believe that was Fox. But he, like Hughes, can likely pay both sides (given their more free wheeling nature), yes.

Naturally though, he's a LD.

Do you remember Dennis Kearns ? a LHD and a very good one who tried to switch to the Right side, a disaster. Some can some not so much. Lumme was the best of playing the off side but that has a lot to do with Dana Murzyn striking fear into oppositions, man he was wicked with that stick

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Do you remember Dennis Kearns ? a LHD and a very good one who tried to switch to the Right side, a disaster. Some can some not so much. Lumme was the best of playing the off side but that has a lot to do with Dana Murzyn striking fear into oppositions, man he was wicked with that stick

A lot of the ability to play on one's off side is stylistic.

'Rover' type defensemen who don't particularly stick to a 'side'  while playing and are talented enough to skate and/or pass their way out of trouble with the puck, tend to have the most success at it. That largely describes both Hughes and Rathbone (Schmidt as well).

Just now, aGENT said:

A lot of the ability to play on one's off side is stylistic.

'Rover' type defensemen who don't particularly stick to a 'side'  while playing and are talented enough to skate and/or pass their way out of trouble with the puck, tend to have the most success at it. That largely describes both Hughes and Rathbone (Schmidt as well).

Yeah it shows in his +/-   :lol:

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes he's one. But I'm thinking.some taller bigger kids. Woo is 6.0 ft 200lbs. He's coming along and will take another cpl years of development in Utica and as a rookie on the Canucks. 

We need to draft cpl bigger guys like Edler at 6'3. Hopefully we fund a stud in this year's draft. We should have a top 10 pick again so someone will be available.  

Jeez, if big is what matters we better sneak Tryamkin out of Russia ASAP. He has all the big a team could need.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah it shows in his +/-   :lol:

The problems for Hughes are getting the puck, and defending against anybody they weighs more than a Tim Horton’s coffee. And, when he reduces the chances he takes on offence, his point production evaporates. Rathbone is pretty good at getting the puck because, at least so far in the AHL, he shows great anticipation - stepping up on guys and stripping them of the puck. Sure wish Utica could shake off the Covid blues and get back to playing hockey. 

40 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Jeez, if big is what matters we better sneak Tryamkin out of Russia ASAP. He has all the big a team could need.

that sounds like you are joking

but in fact you are speaking the truth

to a point

Tryamkin has all the big we need in one player, but we need about 5-6 big players

that is why we have so much trouble with Winnibig and the Habs, and Vegas

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's just what some said about QH and EP and BH before that...

You guys keep up the naysaying and the rest of us will keep telling it like it is....!

Thumbs up.

But the poster does have a point too. 6 guys making the NHL all at once is highly unlikely -- don't even know if such feat has been accomplished ever before.

OJ will be on the team next season for sure, because well, he is already on the team.

Rathbone has a good shot if not for the logjam on LD. But he will likely be a first call up.

Podkolzin has > 50% chances. A former first round pick will be given an every opportunity to succeed and he is a winger. I'd say he is probably already better than Roussel.

Lind is 50/50. I'd like him to make the team but it might be premature to put him on as 3C to begin his NHL career. I think we will need to bring back Sutter on a short term deal or find a veteran replacement for 3C spot. I think the season after, when Beagle and Roussel's contracts come off, Lind can be eased in as a 4C assuming that does continue to get groomed as a center.

Gadj and Woo are probably going to require additional developments before they are NHL ready.

But yeah, it's exciting times ahead.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

that sounds like you are joking

but in fact you are speaking the truth

to a point

Tryamkin has all the big we need in one player, but we need about 5-6 big players

that is why we have so much trouble with Winnibig and the Habs, and Vegas

I think it's big and fast that we have trouble with. Big but not fast? We can beat them, for example, LA Kings the season before.

Those teams you mentioned have big players but have forwards that play fast. Take Montreal for example. Other than Josh Anderson, none of their forwards are considered big by any measure. But their forwards are quick and they play fast.

Well, I guess that's how you win in hockey. Either be big and fast or be supremely skilled and fast (or both).

• Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, khay said:

I think it's big and fast that we have trouble with. Big but not fast? We can beat them, for example, LA Kings the season before.

Those teams you mentioned have big players but have forwards that play fast. Take Montreal for example. Other than Josh Anderson, none of their forwards are considered big by any measure. But their forwards are quick and they play fast.

Well, I guess that's how you win in hockey. Either be big and fast or be supremely skilled and fast (or both).

Vegas is fairly big and fast. They owned us hard(minus Demko). 

We’ve proven capable of handling bigger slower checking teams like the Wild/Blues. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

well I don't disagree with you, 

but we play Calgary tonight

they have one guy who is big and slow

he is pretty much capable of dismantling our whole team

did you know Vegas has 7 players under 200 # and 3 of those are under 190#  and one of those is their goalie?

2 guys under 6'

Winnipeg: 11 guys under 200# but four of those combine for 23 games

2 playerss under 6'

and yes both those teams are fast

Canucks 16 players under 200#, seven under 190#

six under 6'

these measurements from DB so they miight be old

53 minutes ago, lmm said:

well I don't disagree with you, 

but we play Calgary tonight

they have one guy who is big and slow

he is pretty much capable of dismantling our whole team

did you know Vegas has 7 players under 200 # and 3 of those are under 190#  and one of those is their goalie?

2 guys under 6'

Winnipeg: 11 guys under 200# but four of those combine for 23 games

2 playerss under 6'

and yes both those teams are fast

Canucks 16 players under 200#, seven under 190#

six under 6'

these measurements from DB so they miight be old

Yeah. I am agreeing with you.

But being big alone isn't a problem. The teams you mentioned Vegas and Winnipeg aren't just big, they are fast as well as big.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

Thumbs up.

But the poster does have a point too. 6 guys making the NHL all at once is highly unlikely -- don't even know if such feat has been accomplished ever before.

All at once, not likely. Podz and Lind at F and Rathbone at 7 D like Juolevi this year is certainly doable though.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Podkolzin has > 50% chances. A former first round pick will be given an every opportunity to succeed and he is a winger. I'd say he is probably already better than Roussel.

He's got way better than 50% chance IMO. He's already better than like 50% of our forwards 

:lol:

1 hour ago, khay said:

Lind is 50/50. I'd like him to make the team but it might be premature to put him on as 3C to begin his NHL career. I think we will need to bring back Sutter on a short term deal or find a veteran replacement for 3C spot. I think the season after, when Beagle and Roussel's contracts come off, Lind can be eased in as a 4C assuming that does continue to get groomed as a center.

I could see him starting on wing and getting C time with injuries and as guys age out. Agree we're need an external solution at 3C though short term.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Gadj and Woo are probably going to require additional developments before they are NHL ready.

Probably another year with cups of coffee next year.

1 hour ago, khay said:

But yeah, it's exciting times ahead.

Yup :)

• Like 1