The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

This kid has some pretty big upside, and I have to think he is on the roster out of camp next season.  I know that Green doesn't love playing D on their off hands, but I think Rathbone may force that move.

Rathbone-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Schmidt

Edler-Bowey

We need to find a way to get Hughes minutes down.  I think he would be far more effective playing 20 mins per night than 23.  I also hope that Green loosens the reigns on him next year---he seems to suck the creativity out of our guys with his overly structured dump and chase game that ironically has no structure.  When was the last time you saw Hughes really make an aggressive rush/drive the net this year?  Him and likely Rathbone have that ability, we need to use it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of negative stuff on JB lately but no one can question his drafting. Prospects has him listed at 5'10" and 177 pounds. I wonder how accurate that is as I remember seeing a 5'11'  AND 190 pounds. He certainly does not play like he is 177 pounds. Unlike Stech who got beaten fairly regularly I think Rathbone has only hit the ice once while battling. Nice speed too.

He will need to bulk up a bit, there's no doubt about that but man is it nice to see some more quality skating. We're going to have a very mobile d group and I just hope the coaching staff knows how to use it next year.

I've been a Benning supporter, but I do admit I'm pretty down on him at the moment. I have real doubts about his capacity to make the next set of moves. But we'll see, I hope I'm wrong. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Playing Rathbone was critical to see what options will present considering Edler and Hamonic. I can’t see signing both unless Edler gives the team a real deal. You have to figure Hamonic will want term and that might be a deal breaker. I think we can safely say Edler will not be on a 2023-24 team. If Hamonic might be JB could look at a 3 year deal. Neither should get a NMC.

Was Rathbone a pleasure to watch. The kid has serious skill. He finishes the last 8 games strong and he might never see the AHL again. Wow!

I think you will get a better deal with term .. Hamonic solid #4 guy - 6'2, 210 lbs - 1.8 -- 2.4 million market...He will want NTC saya 10 teams as he want to play out west family reasons--- 2 or 3  yrs X 1.9 million - please sign ...

Just now, wildcam said:

I think you will get a better deal with term .. Hamonic solid #4 guy - 6'2, 210 lbs - 1.8 -- 2.4 million market...He will want NTC saya 10 teams as he want to play out west family reasons--- 2 or 3  yrs X 1.9 million - please sign ...

We need to sign Hamonic.  He has been very good for us, we need RHD, and I think he could be a very good partner for Hughes as they gain more familiarity.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Didn't he drop because of family concerns.........younger brother, wasn't it?.

IMO, I think he could have been a 2nd if there were not any concerns

Again, IMO, he will turn out to be a 2/3

love his game!

Edmonton's a fairly offensive team, and I did not notice any glaring mistakes, did you?

that may have been part of it, but he was also still in a high school hockey at the time he was drafted, he was on the young side of the draft.

I didn't notice anything, but Green did also handle his minutes really well. I'm sure like all rookies he'll have his share of gaffes, but man I like the mobility. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I doubt you get him for that kind of money. I agree that a 3 year term is likely the minimum. I can see him giving up some money in exchange for term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

This kid has some pretty big upside, and I have to think he is on the roster out of camp next season.  I know that Green doesn't love playing D on their off hands, but I think Rathbone may force that move.

Rathbone-Myers

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Schmidt

Edler-Bowey

We need to find a way to get Hughes minutes down.  I think he would be far more effective playing 20 mins per night than 23.  I also hope that Green loosens the reigns on him next year---he seems to suck the creativity out of our guys with his overly structured dump and chase game that ironically has no structure.  When was the last time you saw Hughes really make an aggressive rush/drive the net this year?  Him and likely Rathbone have that ability, we need to use it.

I don't think we will have extra money to sign Edler and Hamonic.... Take Hamonic 2yrs x 1.9 million stay at home guy, tough, good with Hughes or Rathbone...

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've been a Benning supporter, but I do admit I'm pretty down on him at the moment. I have real doubts about his capacity to make the next set of moves. But we'll see, I hope I'm wrong. 

I too am beginning to wonder what exactly the 'big picture' plan is Jimmy.  I understand we have cap restraints right now and that certain moves are a direct result of that - however, about a quarter of our roster presently is in my view 'AHL' calibre or if they're not 'AHL' they're certainly in the 'journeyman' category and that's just not sustainable if we want to be competitive moving forward.  Chatfield, Graovac, Boyd, Michaelis, Highmore, Hawryluk and even Mac to a degree would not likely see any meaningful playing time on a truly competitive team.  Not to mention our 'taxi squad' doesn't even seem to have a single 'regular' NHL'er on it sadly.  I understand most of these guys are not going to be here long-term but nevertheless it's a concern. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I don't think we will have extra money to sign Edler and Hamonic.... Take Hamonic 2yrs x 1.9 million stay at home guy, tough, good with Hughes or Rathbone...

I'm on the assumption that Edler takes a 1x1 deal with an NMC.  Either that or retire.  It's been a long time since a 35+ YO D has got much more than that.  I'd love for us to have 6-8 legit D that we can move in and out of the lineup as needed.  Managing Rathbone, Juolevi, Edlers games could be key, and very beneficial.

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of negative stuff on JB lately but no one can question his drafting. Prospects has him listed at 5'10" and 177 pounds. I wonder how accurate that is as I remember seeing a 5'11'  AND 190 pounds. He certainly does not play like he is 177 pounds. Unlike Stech who got beaten fairly regularly I think Rathbone has only hit the ice once while battling. Nice speed too.

That is the latest numbers I have seen as well.

The question for me is whether he has surpassed Juolevi on the depth chart, or whether management believes his ceiling is just a lot higher.

I don't think anyone would advocate for having either of them pencilled into the top 4 next year and having two guys who are effectively rookies both on the roster at the same time on the left side.  That would be a recipe for disaster and for whoever is the coach to badly overplay Hughes.

An option is to platoon Rathbone and Juolevi into the 3rd pairing spot with Myers.  Each young guy getting probably 50 games (splitting the season in half and then also covering for any injury time to Hughes or Edler.. or whatever other veteran we have if Edler isn't back).  That is enough games for development and they get a lot of practice and skills time in with the big club.  

I don't think letting Rathbone marinate in the minors for most of the next season is a great option.

We could also just move Juolevi to fill another need.  For example, Ottawa has a lot of young centres and word is that Tierney isn't in their long term plans.  Could a straight up swap of Juolevi for Tierney fix our 3C issue?  Ottawa saves money like they always want to do, and we use a 'spare' asset to fill a gaping hole in the lineup.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

The question for me is whether he has surpassed Juolevi on the depth chart, or whether management believes his ceiling is just a lot higher.

I don't think anyone would advocate for having either of them pencilled into the top 4 next year and having two guys who are effectively rookies both on the roster at the same time on the left side.  That would be a recipe for disaster and for whoever is the coach to badly overplay Hughes.

An option is to platoon Rathbone and Juolevi into the 3rd pairing spot with Myers.  Each young guy getting probably 50 games (splitting the season in half and then also covering for any injury time to Hughes or Edler.. or whatever other veteran we have if Edler isn't back).  That is enough games for development and they get a lot of practice and skills time in with the big club.  

I don't think letting Rathbone marinate in the minors for most of the next season is a great option.

Wondering if the relocation of the affiliate team, and presumably losing the requirement to 'quarrantine' changes the nature of how assets (ie. OJ, Rathbone, MDP) are utilized since they could literally be called up in the am and arrive to play in the pm? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He will need to bulk up a bit, there's no doubt about that but man is it nice to see some more quality skating. 

I don’t know about that. Looking at the most recent footage of him doing pre game warmups and his upper torso during media availability...Jack looks to be pretty solid and thick to me. Bet he’s close to 190 or even above.

18 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I don’t know about that. Looking at the most recent footage of him doing pre game warmups and his upper torso during media availability...Jack looks to be pretty solid and thick to me. Bet he’s close to 190 or even above.

Jack Rathbone
Born May 20, 1999 (age 21)
West Roxbury, Massachusetts, U.S.
Height 5 ft 11 in (180 cm)
Weight 190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)

Rathbone pushing Juolevi for minutes now but we'll see who's ready next season. So far Rathbone's much more exciting skating-wise and makes the riskier, big passes whereas Juolevi is far better rounded and stronger defensively. Having a LD set of Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone may be the best in the league in 3-5 years time, we just need to complement those guys really well with complementary RDs.

Hughes needs a safe shutdown defenceman who can hit but also skate well to cover all his gaps, yeah Hamonic has been alright for now but someone a bit better defensively would be ideal. I think Myers would be the perfect partner for Juolevi or Rathbone to be honest leaving one final spot up for grabs.

I think next season we have to play Juolevi more, around 18 minutes a night, and have Rathbone slowly working his way in as the number 7 with the occasional 15 minutes a night. However, Green might be tempted by his offence and give him more minutes than Juolevi which would be pretty unfair and unbalanced - Juolevi's defence and physicality is much stronger and that's what we need to build off.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I too am beginning to wonder what exactly the 'big picture' plan is Jimmy.  I understand we have cap restraints right now and that certain moves are a direct result of that - however, about a quarter of our roster presently is in my view 'AHL' calibre or if they're not 'AHL' they're certainly in the 'journeyman' category and that's just not sustainable if we want to be competitive moving forward.  Chatfield, Graovac, Boyd, Michaelis, Highmore, Hawryluk and even Mac to a degree would not likely see any meaningful playing time on a truly competitive team.  Not to mention our 'taxi squad' doesn't even seem to have a single 'regular' NHL'er on it sadly.  I understand most of these guys are not going to be here long-term but nevertheless it's a concern. 

I think of all of them Mac has the most potential and could be a regular 4th line player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

ah OK. I didn't know what numbers were accurate. 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think of all of them Mac has the most potential and could be a regular 4th line player.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I just don't see Chatfield, Graovac, Rafferty, Michaelis or Hawryluk as bonafide NHL players although some may be retained on two way contracts to both fill out the new Canuck AHL team and to serve as call ups if the need arises.

I am also willing to bet that both Boyd and Vesey will not be on the team next year. All the extra bodies were needed, IMO, to carry the team through the post Covid disaster and also the compressed schedule that that created for the team. It is good to finally see the likes of Lind and Rathbone given some ice time to see what they can do on the big stage

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1