The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone is already better than Juolevi. He will be a lot closer to Hughes than Juolevi in a couple of years. 

Remember Rathbone played with Adam Fox at Harvard and didn’t look out of place at all compared to Fox. Fox is now a Norris Trophy candidate. That tells you everything you need to know about the potential of Jack Rathbone. 

I admit that watching Hughes and Rathbone on the #1PP the other night was more than exciting. I am watching Rathbone's point shot as I think he might have a heavier shot than Hughes. They are impressive. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I admit that watching Hughes and Rathbone on the #1PP the other night was more than exciting. I am watching Rathbone's point shot as I think he might have a heavier shot than Hughes. They are impressive. 

Rathbone has a more well rounded game than Hughes.  His shot, defensive awareness and 200' game is at a much higher level than Hughes.  Hughes is more dynamic and flashy, but Rathbone is a better all around defenseman who won't need a defensive partner to shelter him.

• Cheers 2

I've noticed that Rathbone, like Hughes - and Juolevi  - puts a lot of zip in his passes.  Is that what young D are taught now?  Or is it just a young man, strong wrists thing?  I don't remember, but were Edler's passes like that a few years ago?  I do know, though, that many of Edler's, Myers' and Schmidt's flabby passes are now picked off.  I've joked elsewhere that Hughes leads all NHL defensemen in icings, his slapshot passes being so hard for a journeyman forward to collect and control.  Rathbone's are of a similar ilk.  As we improve our middle six skill level, these passes are going to become game changers 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone has a more well rounded game than Hughes.  His shot, defensive awareness and 200' game is at a much higher level than Hughes.  Hughes is more dynamic and flashy, but Rathbone is a better all around defenseman who won't need a defensive partner to shelter him.

Hughes is just Different, that why there’s so much to like. But gotta give him a bit of a break 2nd year player clocking those minutes and on a bad team to boot, sure it would’ve been nice if he adjusted instantly but give it time he’ll be fine.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I've noticed that Rathbone, like Hughes - and Juolevi  - puts a lot of zip in his passes.  Is that what young D are taught now?  Or is it just a young man, strong wrists thing?  I don't remember, but were Edler's passes like that a few years ago?  I do know, though, that many of Edler's, Myers' and Schmidt's flabby passes are now picked off.  I've joked elsewhere that Hughes leads all NHL defensemen in icings, his slapshot passes being so hard for a journeyman forward to collect and control.  Rathbone's are of a similar ilk.  As we improve our middle six skill level, these passes are going to become game changers 

I’ve seen our forwards bobble so many of those great passes this year and missed out on breakaways :( 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Definitely have noticed the same thing, and agree the answer is to improve the quality of the forwards, so they can successfully receive a hard pass, versus asking the skilled Dmen to take some mustard off them, to accommodate the lack of skill there.

Especially with guys like Hughes and Rathbone, who have very good passing accuracy and reads/awareness, and just need to have skilled players in front of them, who can take full advantage of the opportunities those types of passes can create.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

is this the chatfield thread? don't drag your needless negativity all over the place. 

I dont think I'm that negative but okay lol.

May I remind you that this is the rathbone thread. The only words allowed to be written in such thread are "rathbone" and "Jack".

Some were comparing rathbone to hughes earlier. Why arent you on their case? Or is this just a thing where its okay if it's what YOU want to hear.

Maybe start a TDC so you can live in happiness lol.

Edited by 73 Percent

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I dont think I'm that negative but okay lol.

May I remind you that this is the rathbone thread. The only words allowed to be written in such thread are "rathbone" and "Jack".

Some were comparing rathbone to hughes earlier. Why arent you on their case? Or is this just a thing where its okay if it's what YOU want to hear.

Maybe start a TDC so you can live in happiness lol.

What's a TDC?