The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Lol - was looking at possible comparisons in Tampa's lineup .....

(descending order of height ) ...

Hedman - 6'6"  .... 241 lbs

Coburn - 6"5"  ..... 224

Sergachev - 6'3"  ..216

Cernak  -  6'3" .....230

Rutta  -  6'3"  ........204

Savard  -  6'2" .......233

Schenn  - 6'2" .......225

McDonagh - 6'1"....215

Hughes  - 5'10" .....180

Rathbone  - 5'10" ..177

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

Rathbone is much more stocky then Hughes 5'10 -180 lbs

Rathbone 5'11, 190 lbs more physical ....

Not per our roster, or NHL.com

Rathbone  - 5'10" ..177 lbs

Hughes  - 5'10" ...180 lbs

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wait, what? Are you talking about Luke Hughes? Because Rathbone is at least an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier than Quinn.

Where do you get your stats, Sid?

Canucks team roster, NHL and Hockey db all have Hughes and Rathbone at the same height, but Hughes as heavier

(I hope this doesn't become a thread with a life of its own like Podkolzin's height)

Edited by Googlie

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Canucks team roster, NHL, Hockey db all have Hughes and Rathbone at the same height, but Hughes as heavier

Not sure where Sid’s getting his measurables  from but Jack’s put on a fair bit of weight since being drafted a few years ago. If you see him in a t shirt you can see the mass he’s added to his frame. I think he’s quite lean, or at least looks to be, so that serves to keep his actual weight down a bit but he’s packed on quite a bit of lean mass to his frame. He should continue to as he gets older but I don’t think it’ll be a big issue for him as he matures physically. I could see him being physically

similar to Nate Schmidt, not a big guy but holds his own physically, when it’s all said and done. 

• Cheers 1

Yeah - Biega was physical at 5'10", but he was throwing 199 lbs around.  I could see Bones as a much more highly skilled Alex. (or Stecher, also the same height and 186 lbs. Not known from holding back on a check, like Motte. Always punching above their weight)

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yeah - Biega was physical at 5'10", but he was throwing 199 lbs around.  I could see Bones as a much more highly skilled Alex. (or Stecher, also the same height and 186 lbs. Not known from holding back on a check, like Motte. Always punching above their weight)

That might not be a bad comparison at all. I’m thinking Jack will end up a little better physically equipped than either of those two but he should be able to get to at least their level, which is reasonably adequate given the other things Jack will probably bring to the game (more than either of Stecher or Biega). But if a Biega is his physical floor then that won’t be the worst thing, provides he’s doing the things with the puck that we think he can. 

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Heretical thought coming.......

I wonder if Rathbone makes Hughes expendable .   Would NJ trade Pavel Zacha straight up (instant 3rd line center capable of moving up the lineup)?

There it is, CDC, this is the witch!!!! HANG!

• Haha 1

I wonder if Rathbone makes Hughes expendable .   Would NJ trade Pavel Zacha straight up (instant 3rd line center capable of moving up the lineup)?

You said it, Hughes should fetch a number 1 C. Not a leftover piece

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

You said it, Hughes should fetch a number 1 C. Not a leftover piece

Zacha supplanted Hischier (injured for 1/2 the season) and Hughes as #1 last season according to their boards.  He would likely give Green the option of moving Bo down to spread the top 9 scoring.   At 6'3" and 210 he is a big body.  Right age for meshing with our core, too (24) and good pedigree (drafted 6th overall in 2015)

(But I did say it was a heretical thought - based on the fear that we stunt Bones growth playing behind Hughes)

Edited by Googlie

Bold move, but I think Canucks need to develop Rathbone a bit longer.

I'm also really curious if Hughes can bounce back defensively next season.  If not, and Rathbone develops well, perhaps you're onto something.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Canucks team roster, NHL and Hockey db all have Hughes and Rathbone at the same height, but Hughes as heavier

(I hope this doesn't become a thread with a life of its own like Podkolzin's height)

I think those websites are outdated.

Going off their NCAA vitals (player pages are still up for both Rathbone and Hughes), Jack was 5’11” and 190 lbs at Harvard and Quinn was 5’10” and 175 lbs at Michigan.

https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/jack-rathbone/5097

https://mgoblue.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/quinn-hughes/18518

Hughes is certainly a bit heavier now than he was in college (180 lbs is probably accurate for him), but I doubt he’s gained any height (and I think he may actually be closer to 5’9.5” than a true 5’10”).

Rathbone is certainly at least 5’10” and probably is 5’11”, as he was listed while in the NCAA. And I know Jack made significant gains in the weight room during his final year at Dexter, and during his time at Harvard. I think he’s definitely a solid 190 lbs, as he was listed at Harvard, and he has the frame to carry more, if he chooses to continue to add muscle. I think he could play at 5’11” and ~200 lbs, if he decides that’s how he wants to train and build up his body.

I don’t know if Quinn could ever carry 200 lbs of weight, at least as an elite athlete. I don’t think he’s build that way, despite having a pretty thick lower body. And I certainly don’t think Hughes is anything taller than 5’10”, and may actually be a hair or two under that listed height.

I could be wrong, but from what I’ve seen and heard, Rathbone is simply a bigger man than Hughes.

EDIT: I’ve left myself wide open for a few “phrasing” jokes here, but I’m not changing anything. Have at it. I enjoy those jokes, especially in the Rathbone thread. :lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yes Nj would do that :blink: it would take Zacha + + like a Smith or Woods or Sharangovich and some picks. Not a chance straight up are you crazy?? Haha

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

20 hours ago, Nigerian said:

Yes Nj would do that :blink: it would take Zacha + + like a Smith or Woods or Sharangovich and some picks. Not a chance straight up are you crazy?? Haha

QH is getting anew contract, a lot will depend on that, price and NTC ??  It might give us an insight into JB's thinking

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

QH is getting anew contract, a lot will depend on that, price and NTC ??  It might give us an insight into JB's thinking

Do you mean on JB’s thinking of QH future here? I don’t know where the thinking of trading QH has come from but it has no grounds to it. He’s an All star in his second full-ish season. Why are we thinking of trading him lol??

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nigerian said:

Do you mean on JB’s thinking of QH future here? I don’t know where the thinking of trading QH has come from but it has no grounds to it. He’s an All star in his second full-ish season. Why are we thinking of trading him lol??

What u say is true, however we have a surplus of LHD, that also is true. So if you wish to upgrade other  positions which we are in need of it ends some thing like this you trade a poor player you get a poor player back in return, a good player etc etc. I'm not advocating trade QH but u get back what you give up. eg you trade away let's say OJ what do you really believe u would get back .... not a lot

32 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What u say is true, however we have a surplus of LHD, that also is true.

Not sure how you figure the Canucks have a surplus of LHD on the roster or in the prospect pool. I see Edler for maybe 1 or 2 more years max as a possible; after that they have Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone, on the farm they have Brisbois and possibly Sautner if he re-signs with the Canucks and that is about it for left side D-men. All other left shot defensive prospects are likely years away if they make it at all to the NHL.