The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Wow, unbelievable performance.

Looking forward to him moving up to the NCAA , should be easier to gauge what we have here.

Sid, I think you said he's going to be playing for Harvard?

How is their program? 

Are they a good team?

Do they have a history of developing some good players?

I remember our old prospect McEneny went there and I don't think he amounted to anything.

4 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Wow, unbelievable performance.

Looking forward to him moving up to the NCAA , should be easier to gauge what we have here.

Sid, I think you said he's going to be playing for Harvard?

How is their program? 

Are they a good team?

Do they have a history of developing some good players?

I remember our old prospect McEneny went there and I don't think he amounted to anything.

I think you're thinking of mcnally

• Cheers 1

Man Jack can fly. You look at that first goal and he starts the play from the top of the circle in his own zone, makes the outlet, and then blows by two opponents to receive a return pass at the opposition blue line and carry in deep for the score. 

Or the third goal, where he’s created separation through the neutral zone and built up so much speed that he can just stop skating and glide in over the blue line, ready for the pass on the two-on-one, while the guy chasing him is head down and skating for his life but still can’t close the gap in time to stop the goal.

Nice move on the penalty shot as well.

I really hope this kid pans out. Having a player on our D who can score those types of goals would be pretty amazing.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Most posters, including me, believe the Canucks need to get better on the backend if we want to be serious contenders. The focus from most has been to get that PMD that can help generate some offense, particularly as a QB for the power play. I strongly believe that a lot of posters are going to be very pleasantly surprised when they get to see JR play at Harvard. His skating is pretty amazing and his ability to read the play and understand the flow of the game is really well above average. His play this year will allow Benning and company a little more flexibility in terms of their direction at this year's draft. He is obviously a number of years away but I think he may be well worth the wait.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Man Jack can fly. You look at that first goal and he starts the play from the top of the circle in his own zone, makes the outlet, and then blows by two opponents to receive a return pass at the opposition blue line and carry in deep for the score. 

Or the third goal, where he’s created separation through the neutral zone and built up so much speed that he can just stop skating and glide in over the blue line, ready for the pass on the two-on-one, while the guy chasing him is head down and skating for his life but still can’t close the gap in time to stop the goal.

Nice move on the penalty shot as well.

I really hope this kid pans out. Having a player on our D who can score those types of goals would be pretty amazing.

The only thing that worries me at all about your comments sid is the level of competition.  But IF this kid can gain separation like that and have that superior speed due to development and talent when he gets up to the NHL he is going to be as amazing as you say.  

12 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

The only thing that worries me at all about your comments sid is the level of competition.  But IF this kid can gain separation like that and have that superior speed due to development and talent when he gets up to the NHL he is going to be as amazing as you say.  

Speed translates, its whether he can use that speed effectively at higher levels. He's not the biggest guy either so he will need to learn how to play hard in his own end (like Stetcher). 

It will be exciting to follow him in Harvard next season as it looks like his game should translate quite well, but who knows, anything can happen.

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Speed translates, its whether he can use that speed effectively at higher levels. He's not the biggest guy either so he will need to learn how to play hard in his own end (like Stetcher). 

It will be exciting to follow him in Harvard next season as it looks like his game should translate quite well, but who knows, anything can happen.

But the NHL game is way faster than the high school game so how does a speed advantage translate.  

2 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

But the NHL game is way faster than the high school game so how does a speed advantage translate.  

Exactly, the NHL game is faster and often you need that speed to compete in it. What Im saying is Rathbone needs to learn how to use that speed effectively, stopping/starting, going to the net, not getting caught etc. His speed will translate he just needs to learn how to use it effectively. 

There appears to be something magical happening with our prospects this year...it is almost like a make believe fairytale for most of our prospects...not just one or two, which would have been great, but this is special...we may be graduating a whole team full of players in the next 3-4 years and all of those guys will be winners...!

Expect magic...embrace it when it happens..and try not look a way in disbelief...coming to a rink near you next year onward...

36 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

There’s no doubt the level of competition is worth consideration.

However, many of teams in this tournament are basically “all star teams” drawn from the best players in regional leagues and only the best of the best made it to nationals.

Rathbone’s team, for example, is made up of the best players from the top prep schools in his area. So these games are probably a step up from the ones he played with Dexter.

Still, it’s 18 and under Midget, and not major junior or college.

We’ll have to wait and see how he looks when he gets to Harvard.

• Upvote 1

Rathbone has another goal (his 5th in 5 games) in today’s semifinal vs Carshield:

Remains 2-1 after two periods. 

Winner goes to the title game tomorrow.

EDIT: now 3-1 Cape Cod with six minutes remaining 

Now 3-2 with under five minutes

Now 4-2! Go Whalers! 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME