The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Where is this notion that OJ is better defensively than Jack? Wish I could post some clips of OJ pivots while defending vs. Rathbone’s. Jack can neutralize guys with his skating ability. Jack’s gonna make it clear at camp and the pre-season he ain’t going to Abby. Clip this post.

OJ will be the 7th D man.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:41 PM, Fred65 said:

I don't know if that will happen but he's in tough. Personally I believe Rathbone has surpassed him. I'm waiting to see what his new contract will be, the sum of money committed is a yard stick of where he fits as a NHL D'man. OEL get's his $8.25 ( total ) and Hughes has to be around $6-7 mark. Juolevi will be paid ...... ???? and that will be the teller

This is a show me contract for sure.  He is probably looking for a two year deal and he is in no position and would benefit to taking less money over the coming two years and be a really cheap player who can soak up NHL training anf development.  Things go well, in two year he makes millions on the next deal and if they don’t he will be easily dealt for a 3rd or another reclamation project in return if there is a decent trade partner with a like issued player.  

if OJ keeps his two year to 1 million or less per year, he would be an Ideal 3 pairing guy.  

he could be a good meh defender and turn into a Bryan Allen type player that ends up finding a role in another team, though never lived up to his draft position in a weak draft.  

or he could finally get that slow physical development caught up and come into this season with the Salo curse lifted.  Hope he spent all off season with a shaman or whatever the equivalent is in Finland, and become the defence man he was drafted to be.  

if OJ believes in himself he will be very wise to not seek money on this deal and earn it on the next one.  

We are now at a depth position to develop players in Abbey for longer than some fans are not used too.  

for all the about to be experienced whining and complaining of Abbey fans every-time a player is called up to Vancouver and Abbey is denied a win or a exciting player and the fans there know how to post on this site and will.  

if OJ is close or where they wanted him, Rathbone is going to start in Abbey and take it over as the guy everyone misses down there on a regular basis.  

that’s great.  

isn’t that what drafting and development is supposed to look like in good organizations?  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

We are now at a depth position to develop players in Abbey for longer than some fans are not used too.  

for all the about to be experienced whining and complaining of Abbey fans every-time a player is called up to Vancouver and Abbey is denied a win or a exciting player and the fans there know how to post on this site and will.  

if OJ is close or where they wanted him, Rathbone is going to start in Abbey and take it over as the guy everyone misses down there on a regular basis.  

that’s great.  

isn’t that what drafting and development is supposed to look like in good organizations?  

Personally I think Rathbone as the inside track, but we'll see. I just noticed your in Antigonish. I'm in Liverpool...for the summer

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Personally I think Rathbone as the inside track, but we'll see. I just noticed your in Antigonish. I'm in Liverpool...for the summer

Love Liverpool!  Our summer place was in West Dublin.  Best beaches in Canada are down that way.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Liverpool!  Our summer place was in West Dublin.  Best beaches in Canada are down that way.  

Yeah our cottage is a minute from the beach however this year has been rain, fog and temp of mid teens. On the bright side my well is full  LOL

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Where is this notion that OJ is better defensively than Jack? Wish I could post some clips of OJ pivots while defending vs. Rathbone’s. Jack can neutralize guys with his skating ability. Jack’s gonna make it clear at camp and the pre-season he ain’t going to Abby. Clip this post.

OJ will be the 7th D man.

I agree I’m the stint we have to compare the two Jack was superior.

hoping for a competitor camp. 

have a feeling hunt is going to really challenge for that spot tho on the bottom pairing.

OEL-POOLMAN

HUGHES-HAMONIC

HUNT-MYERS

is very possible if he outplays both juolevi and Rathbone.

should be a really competitive camp 

24 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree I’m the stint we have to compare the two Jack was superior.

hoping for a competitor camp. 

have a feeling hunt is going to really challenge for that spot tho on the bottom pairing.

OEL-POOLMAN

HUGHES-HAMONIC

HUNT-MYERS

is very possible if he outplays both juolevi and Rathbone.

should be a really competitive camp 

Hunt?

The guys 5'9 and 32 yrs old.  He's Abbotsford bound.

8 hours ago, BPA said:

Hunt?

It’s not out of the realm of possibility hope he rbi gs the best of Rathbone/juolevi 

ofc Abby is more likely but if he comes in and plays out if his mind you never know

8 hours ago, BPA said:

Hunt?

Hunt hast played in the minors for five years.  He plays both sides and forward.  He’s for sure on the big club.  He’s the ideal extra guy.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hunt hast played in the minors for five years.  He plays both sides and forward.  He’s for sure on the big club.  He’s the ideal extra guy.  

This is the most likely result IMO.

Juolevi as the last starting lefty, Hunt as the extra, Rathbone playing big minutes, all situations in (edit:) Abby and just down the highway for any recalls.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi as the last starting lefty, Hunt as the extra, Rathbone playing big minutes, all situations in Utica and just down the highway for any recalls.

I agree with this being the most likely scenario to start the season.

hope hunt brings Out the best of juolevi 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn't argue that Hunt isn't good enough to play NHL but I would drop him down because of age. There are younger options with some NHL experience who could be on the team in 2023. That is my target for serious CUP contention.  

• Vintage 1

I predict that Juolevi will be waived. Rathbone will be the Bottom LD and Brad Hunt will be an extra.

Juolevi is a disappointment and wasn't very good last season. We need to stop hoping he'll be this defensive dynamo just because he was picked #5 overall. You can't just keep him around because of his "draft pedigree". Good teams don't do this. Bad teams do.

Rathbone was by and far the most pleasant surprise last season and I don't see a reason why he shouldn't make this team. If Rathbone starts to struggle midway through the season, good news, he can be sent down but until that point -- I want the best defensemen in the lineup and not the ones that need to be waiver protected vs not. I believe Rathbone is capable of doing the things we thought Juolevi was gonna do.

Competition is gonna be furious this training camp. I really believe Brady Keeper, Brad Hunt, Oli Juolevi, Brad Hunt, Luke Schenn, and Kyle Burroughs are all gonna fight for the Last 3 spots on the defensive core (I expect Luke Schenn to be a shoein for the extra RD spot). It'll be interesting to see who makes it.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi as the last starting lefty, Hunt as the extra, Rathbone playing big minutes, all situations in Utica and just down the highway for any recalls.

Only just a non-stop 44 hour drive away!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

I predict that Juolevi will be waived. Rathbone will be the Bottom LD and Brad Hunt will be an extra.

Juolevi is a disappointment and wasn't very good last season. We need to stop hoping he'll be this defensive dynamo just because he was picked #5 overall. You can't just keep him around because of his "draft pedigree". Good teams don't do this. Bad teams do.

Rathbone was by and far the most pleasant surprise last season and I don't see a reason why he shouldn't make this team. If Rathbone starts to struggle midway through the season, good news, he can be sent down but until that point -- I want the best defensemen in the lineup and not the ones that need to be waiver protected vs not. I believe Rathbone is capable of doing the things we thought Juolevi was gonna do.

Competition is gonna be furious this training camp. I really believe Brady Keeper, Brad Hunt, Oli Juolevi, Brad Hunt, Luke Schenn, and Kyle Burroughs are all gonna fight for the Last 3 spots on the defensive core (I expect Luke Schenn to be a shoein for the extra RD spot). It'll be interesting to see who makes it.

Disagree, I though Juolevi looked good during his time in the NHL. Rathbone has the skills but needs to hone his game.

Im predicting Juolevi will surprise a lot of people this year

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

He’s been kept around because he hasn’t had a proper chance to develop his game due to injuries and rehab. Quite a bit different then what your saying here. With your statement I think of a guy like Michael Dal Colle.

Joulevi deserves a chance here if it weren’t for Chatfield being right handed or OJ getting the worst of Covid he would have played a large portion of last season. I thought OJ looked better then some of our other Dman when he played.

I agree he shouldn’t be gifted a spot on the roster but he has an opportunity here and I say there’s a good chance he takes it and runs. Finally the kid has been healthy enough to make a final step here into the NHL 

• Cheers 1