The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Both OJ and Rathbone have seen praise from the coaching staff. 

Given the fact that we’re arguing who’s preferred by Green or not, it is safe to say we have it good on our left side D. A good problem to have per say.  

It should be noted that Rathbone has played the right side before(works well with his shot). It could be an explorable option. 

College?

Just now, 73 Percent said:

College?

Utica tried it out on both PP and even strength(at times situational). 

Not sure about College. 

Small sample size but given his offensive toolset I think it could be tried out if injuries hit the right side and in situational moments. 

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Sorry, help me out here. I just read the article and I am having trouble finding the quote where Green says he preferred Rathbone over Juolevi.

Wow, you really have to be determined to not see it, Greens post game comments and his game decisions speak volumes.  You have to see the post game clips where he’s talking about Rathbone, he’s not going to full out say it but like they say “actions speak louder than words”. You need to read between the lines  

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Sorry, help me out here. I just read the article and I am having trouble finding the quote where Green says he preferred Rathbone over Juolevi.

These are some quotes I was able to find from reporters.  Just compare Green’s assessment  of Rathbone’s play to Juolevi’s.  

F2FE1E63-8171-4FB3-8BD0-932C99865000.jpeg

6DDEA9D8-56D9-4ECA-8C22-1AD70E7AF825.jpeg

Edited by Pure961089

"The timing in D zone coverage is going to take a bit"

Basically mirroring exactly what I've stated. Rathbone is clearly the more dynamic, offensive player who correspondingly recieved 53% ozone starts. Juolevi has a more refined defensive game and was trusted, as a rookie, with PK time and 59.4% dzone starts.

Rathbone will be well served in Abby, playing big minutes, in all situations and refining his D zone play while available as first call up.

I can't wait to see what he can do with more refined D play in the coming years! If he does switch to the right, him and Juolevi might actually make a REALLY good pair down the line.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, aGENT said:

"The timing in D zone coverage is going to take a bit"

Basically mirroring exactly what I've stated. Rathbone is clearly the more dynamic, offensive player who correspondingly recieved 53% ozone starts. Juolevi has a more refined defensive game and was trusted, as a rookie, with PK time and 59.4% dzone starts.

Rathbone will be well served in Abby, playing big minutes, in all situations and refining his D zone play while available as first call up.

I can't wait to see what he can do with more refined D play in the coming years! If he does switch to the right, him and Juolevi might actually make a REALLY good pair down the line.

It makes the most sense and would be great for all parties, but for some reason in my gut im worried if he has a good training camp he will be on the team, even if it means limited playing time. 

On 8/15/2021 at 7:20 AM, Pure961089 said:

Yeah, with a critical unbiased eye lol.  You should really give this a read.  It sheds some light on Green’s decision making down the stretch of last season.  https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-battle-for-the-final-defensive-spot/

i clipped some paragraphs from the article.  

image.jpeg

I love Rathbone, I think OJ was severely hampered in his development due to injuries, likely due to his hard time bulking up.  Those injuries created a downward spiral that has given OJ technical difficulties to the outside turn to the left.  

if IF OJ can resolve this issue and overcome the a for mentioned hurdles, we could have two good young Defensemen on our hands.  Never known that to be a problem.  

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

My gut feeling tells me that Rathbone is gonna earn a spot at camp this year and force some very hard decisions.

I’d definitely enjoy watching Rathbone and Juolevi split games all season at 3LD and have the internal competition of two young guys battling over that spot.

Would mean waiving Hunt, but hopefully he’d clear, if timed correctly. And if he made it down to the AHL, Hunt would be a monster in Abbotsford. Might even lead the team in scoring.

What I hope doesn’t happen is OJ ****ing the bed at camp/preseason, and being the clear cut third place option in that trio of 3LD candidates. That would truly make a hard decision for management, as they probably want Juolevi to make the team more than anyone else. Waiving a former 5OA would make for some rough optics. And so would keeping him up, if he didn’t actually deserve the spot. Bad situation either way.

Ideally, both Olli and Jack come in highly motivated, having put in tons of summer work, and they leave it all on the ice, outperform the veteran Hunt, and the two young guys make the final roster, as the 3-4 LHDs.

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

My gut feeling tells me that Rathbone is gonna earn a spot at camp this year and force some very hard decisions.

Agreed. IF Juolevi and Rathbone perform similarly in camp, then I’m willing to accept Jack going to Abby for a stint. But I really expect Rathbone to be better, even considerably so. If that happens you can’t send him to the minors….the players on the team won’t be on board with that if it’s clear Rathbone’s is good enough to help them win games, where they might not feel the same way about OJ. The players don’t give two $&!#es about waiver eligibility.

I also think Rathbone is going to force his way on to the team. But perhaps a healthy Olli comes to camp in the best shape he’s ever been in and makes it a battle. Can’t wait to watch in person once camp starts. Who else around here is thinking about heading to Abby for camp?

The average hockey fan on here really bugs me. Why I say that, is the limits they put on Rathbone and Juolevi for that matter. I do not have all the analytics to back me up, but I do have a fairly decent eye for talent. And although I think Rathbone needs time before we anoint him. I believe he is the real deal. 

By that I mean that I believe he will have a better net contribution than Hughes, "IF" given a chance. Most people on here that comment on Hughes, always talk about his offense and are very dismissive of his defensive woe's. 

This certainly has to play out, and Hughes could easily prove he is the better option, and I am good with that...actually great with that, if it turns out that way. But I will not be surprised if Rathbone plays out to be better. 

People are way too impressed with offensive stats at the expense of good defense.

All, I mean by this is for everybody to have an open mind, and not be married to anyone player, including me, to Rathbone.

It is an exciting time.........now for some RHD

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1