The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hughes was a 7th overall that showed he absolutely belonged on the team both in his year end stint and in his junior career. Rathbone not so much. He has looked good but he's going to have to prove that in camp like Quinn did. He was and will be aff offorded the exact same curtesy. It's up him him to earn it. Unfortunately he does have much stiffer competition, that's mainly due to Quinn himself as he only had Edler ahead of him, plus Del Zotto and Pouliot for competition. Rathbone has OEL, Quinn, and Juolevi, thus it's fair to say he needs to better than Quinn and has to out perform at camp more so than Quinn did.

I guess first first off, I agree with your conclusion.........yes Rathbone will have much harder time of it.

But your info and thought process is a little mixed up.......

Rathbone played NCAA not junior and had a great college career, and admittedly he was never as good as Hughes then, but his stats and play were hardly average

Then, there is the fact that Rathbone played lights out in Utica and then on the Canucks last year, albeit in a short screwed up year, and sample size

It is not only Rathbone that should have to prove himself, and unless Hughes has developed a Defensive game, he should also have to prove himself

In the end, I really just want to see Rathbone get the same treatment as Hughes and if he is better, then Hughes should get sent down..............and honestly

CDC could not handle that..............and Management would never do that

Even though it is quite possible that Rathbone's over all game and contribution, may be better than Hughes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I guess first first off, I agree with your conclusion.........yes Rathbone will have much harder time of it.

Rathbone played NCAA not junior and had a great college career, and admittedly he was never as good as Hughes then, but his stats and play were hardly average

Then, there is the fact that Rathbone played lights out in Utica and then on the Canucks last year, albeit in a short screwed up year, and sample size

It is not only Rathbone that should have to prove himself, and unless Hughes has developed a Defensive game, he should also have to prove himself

In the end, I really just want to see Rathbone get the same treatment as Hughes and if he is better, then Hughes should get sent down..............and honestly

Even though it is quite possible that Rathbone's over all game and contribution, may be better than Hughes

LOL you got all that from what, 6 - 7 games Rathbone played here? Whatever you say, Judd

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL you got all that from what, 6 - 7 games Rathbone played here? Whatever you say, Judd

Now, look, Yes, I did like what I seen of Rathbone

But I also read alot about his time at Harvard

and how he compared to Fox and Marino

He showed very well

In addition, I have seen 2 full seasons of Hughes

Which is far more important

I love Hughes's offense

But his defense is horrid

and unless he fixes that problem or gets a partner that can help out

he will have to have sheltered even strength minutes

So, for me, it comes down to the bottom line

What is the total goals for and against, while on the ice for both Hughes and Rathbone

and everyone else, for that matter....................

Do not get me wrong, Hughes is young and has time to correct it, but he is small and will need help

Rathbone is a little bigger, and from what I seen, uses his additional size and skating to defend better

But the proof is in the pudding, and I just want to see everybody given equal chance at training camp

It's a nice problem to have, and who knows, maybe OEL is the 3rd LHD? I doubt that, but who knows?

As for your Judd comment, well maybe you should look a little more objectively at Hughes before making a comment like that

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

All the Hughes Slander hurts my head, If you minus Hughes from our Roster last Year and insert Rathbone we are even more $&!# than we where… OUR SCHEME AND DEFENSE WERE ASS ALONG WITH OUR SCHEDULE.

I was unaware of this complication

Here’s where things get complicated. If Rathbone gets sent down to the AHL, he’ll have a higher cap hit if the Canucks want to call him up mid-season. Instead of a $925,000 cap hit, he’d have a $1.49 million cap hit

Canucks camp battles: Can Hunt disrupt the Rathbone/Juolevi showdown? - Vancouver Is Awesome

Edited by Fred65

On 9/14/2021 at 10:42 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Now, look, Yes, I did like what I seen of Rathbone

But I also read alot about his time at Harvard

and how he compared to Fox and Marino

He showed very well

In addition, I have seen 2 full seasons of Hughes

Which is far more important

I love Hughes's offense

But his defense is horrid

and unless he fixes that problem or gets a partner that can help out

he will have to have sheltered even strength minutes

So, for me, it comes down to the bottom line

What is the total goals for and against, while on the ice for both Hughes and Rathbone

and everyone else, for that matter....................

Do not get me wrong, Hughes is young and has time to correct it, but he is small and will need help

Rathbone is a little bigger, and from what I seen, uses his additional size and skating to defend better

But the proof is in the pudding, and I just want to see everybody given equal chance at training camp

It's a nice problem to have, and who knows, maybe OEL is the 3rd LHD? I doubt that, but who knows?

As for your Judd comment, well maybe you should look a little more objectively at Hughes before making a comment like that

Actually I did. Was anybody complaining about Hughes defensive play in his first season? NOPE. He took a step back this season but thats not unreasonable, teams simply have more tape on him now, or over confidence etc. Fact is hes had 2 full seasons under his belt, and you're comparing him to a guy that had less than 10 games LOL. Better keep watching those youtube clips and taking notes Judd. Had Rathbone even had a whole season, maybe you can make the comparison, but like what 7 games? Geezus, really sipping the Rathbone kool aid.

19 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Actually I did. Was anybody complaining about Hughes defensive play in his first season? NOPE. He took a step back this season but thats not unreasonable, teams simply have more tape on him now, or over confidence etc. Fact is hes had 2 full seasons under his belt, and you're comparing him to a guy that had less than 10 games LOL. Better keep watching those youtube clips and taking notes Judd. Had Rathbone even had a whole season, maybe you can make the comparison, but like what 7 games? Geezus, really sipping the Rathbone kool aid.

Well, Yes, I am high on Rathbone and I make no apologizes for that. I think you miss where others had ranked Rathbone very well. He is ranked as the 2nd best prospect behind Podkolzin, which is lofty considering he was ranked at #3 before the draft by some evaluators and then eventually draft in the top 10. IMO, he would have been drafted higher if not for his Russian commitment.

Now to Rathbone.....He has shown, as I said earlier in a small sample size that he can handle the tougher assignments. now, if Hughes can do that, frickin great! but in 2 years he could not, which indicates to me, it might not be his strong suit. Nothing wrong with at. But it shows some weaknesses.

I think you are right, as Rathbone still needs to show it in a larger sample size, but...........BUT, the game at the end of the day is about pluses and minus's and if you are on for more goals against than for, you either need to be sheltered, or you will not help the team.............

Now, I am not a "JUDD" as you put it, but I have coached rep hockey up to Midget level, and as such took courses on evaluating, and I do have 50+ years of playing, including against some ex-juniors and former NHL players, so yeah, excuses me for having an opinion, but I think I can see talent.

Now, the proof is in the pudding, and both Hughes and Rathbone, as well as others, need to prove themselves, each and every year, and each and every game for that matter.

But IMO, me and others see some very positive things in Rathbones game..........we shall see! Maybe he regresses.....maybe you are right!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, Yes, I am high on Rathbone and I make no apologizes for that. I think you miss where others had ranked Rathbone very well. He is ranked as the 2nd best prospect behind Podkolzin, which is lofty considering he was ranked at #3 before the draft by some evaluators and then eventually draft in the top 10. IMO, he would have been drafted higher if not for his Russian commitment.

Now to Rathbone.....He has shown, as I said earlier in a small sample size that he can handle the tougher assignments. now, if Hughes can do that, frickin great! but in 2 years he could not, which indicates to me, it might not be his strong suit. Nothing wrong with at. But it shows some weaknesses.

I think you are right, as Rathbone still needs to show it in a larger sample size, but...........BUT, the game at the end of the day is about pluses and minus's and if you are on for more goals against than for, you either need to be sheltered, or you will not help the team.............

Now, I am not a "JUDD" as you put it, but I have coached rep hockey up to Midget level, and as such took courses on evaluating, and I do have 50+ years of playing, including against some ex-juniors and former NHL players, so yeah, excuses me for having an opinion, but I think I can see talent.

Now, the proof is in the pudding, and both Hughes and Rathbone, as well as others, need to prove themselves, each and every year, and each and every game for that matter.

But IMO, me and others see some very positive things in Rathbones game..........we shall see! Maybe he regresses.....maybe you are right!

With Hughes unsigned this is his opportunity to shine. 

Mathew Pukeface was bragging about how his father and him were pushing Brady to get every penny and I think he is probably doing the same with QH.

So, if Hughes is not ready to go, we can see what he has and see if he shines.

• Cheers 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Rathbone #6 at start of season # 4 D before Xmas

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Rathbone #6 at start of season # 4 D before Xmas

I agree wildcam

my only concern is his ability to go down without concern of being picked up

IMO, I do not see Benning wanting to loose Juolevi, when he can play chess and have it both ways

So for that reason alone, I think Rathbone has to really blow the socks off of Green or he starts in Utica 

or as you say a 6 maybe even a 7/8

The worst thing that could happen is him sitting in the press box, which we seen with DiPietro last year

It is a fun part of the year, very exciting, and everyone wanting the best team for us

I will say this , if Rathbone starts in Utica, I want him getting big minutes and playing in all situations

If him and Woo develop chemistry, that would not be the worst thing

Just bring it on! Let's have some fun!

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I will say this , if Rathbone starts in Utica, I want him getting big minutes and playing in all situations

If him and Woo develop chemistry, that would not be the worst thing

Blockbuster trade happening?    Rathbone and Woo to New Jersey?     Who's coming our way?    Both Hughes brothers maybe?

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 2