The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Bit of a rough shift for Rathbone. Just caught out too long and you could tell his legs were burning by the end. Tried to change twice but his mates would turnover the puck and he’d have to rush back on D. To Jack’s credit, he played solid positional D, even while gassed, and survived the shift without giving up much in the way of shots/chances and USA didn’t score.

Earlier the same shift, you could tell Jack was a maybe little frustrated with his Harvard teammates who were not moving the puck well. At one point, he chased down a teammate forward, who was lumbering throughbthe neutral zone, took the puck off him at the blue line, and carried in himself to create a chance. Hopefully at ice level he was talking and the teammate knew he was coming. Just looked funny. Like Jack was saying F-it, I’ll just do this myself if you guys won’t. :lol:

After that rush, Jack had to get back and defend an extended sequence. And then couldn’t get off the ice because Harvard kept turning it over in the neutral zone.

Seemed like his shift lasted 90 seconds.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Had a phone call so had to interrupt the updates. 2nd period is in the books. USA leads 5-1. Rathbone with a couple miscues but generally playing well. In particular, he’s looked good on the PP, with the Rathbone unit looking more dangerous than Fox’s first unit.

3rd period underway. Rathbone just stopped Hughes for what may have been a goal otherwise. Hughes dancing between Harvard defenders until Rathbone took the puck away.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Rathbone seems to be playing more in the 3rd, possibly due to earning his coaches’ trust?

Out on the PK right now against Hughes and the USA top unit. Makes a recovery and a quick outlet to create a short handed 2-on-1. Rathbone follows up as the trailer and was wide open but his teammate shot instead (didn’t score).

Jack also picked up a plus on the earlier Harvard goal so should be back to even on the night.

5-2 USA

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Thanks for the updates sid! For fans that love hearing about all our prospects play but inability to stream your updates are awesome. Really appreciate your time to post and keep us updated!

7 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME  Thanks for the updates on his first game, I appreciate what you do here big time.

Was great to hear he did so well.

I'm sure his team will see how valuable he is and start looking for him to dish the puck to.

No problem guys. Didn’t want to miss this one and so I figured I’d do a little play by play. Especially since there wasn’t a free stream (or at least there wasn’t a legal one ;)).

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Word out of Harvard is that Rathbone has locked down a spot in their top-6 this season.

This despite him being the youngest Dman (at 19) on a deep defensive group that includes two 20 year olds, four 21 years olds and two 22 year olds.

Sweet deal.  No surprise though right?

Nice to track him in a league with better comparisons like the NCAA.

5 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Sweet deal.  No surprise though right?

Nice to track him in a league with better comparisons like the NCAA.

Yeah, not a huge surprise. He's highly regarded so I expected he'd make their lineup. There was just a chance that he'd start maybe as a 7/8 and have to prove his way before he became a regular. But it sounds like they're really happy with him and are already pencilling him into the top-6. Last night, I think he showed he's more than ready. That USNTDP team may be the toughest competition Harvard faces all season, and Rathbone looked like one of their best defenders in that game. And they used him in all situations and he thrived. I expect he'll be second pairing, 2nd unit PPQB, and a regular on their PK.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Rathbone and Harvard play their season opener (their last game was exhibition) versus Dartmouth tonight. Game starts 7pm Eastern (4pm in Vancouver).

Game is available for PPV ($2.99) here: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/dartmouth/

Also available on ESPN+ and possibly a stream here (check closer to game time).

Live stats here: https://dartmouthsports.com/sidearmstats/mhockey/summary

• Like 1