The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

At the time when Fox and Calgary’s management had to make that decision there was no guarantee he’d make the NHL roster. Calgary’s defence is pretty good so he likely chose another year of college over AHL time.

Also, he probably wasn't ever going to sign with Calgary.

He's an American kid from the East Coast, and while he never stated it outright and publicly, it was heavily rumoured that his reps had made it clear to Calgary management that Fox wasn't willing to play for the Flames, and would just go the college free agency route if they held onto his rights.

Canes seem pretty sure they can get him signed. Puts him on an American team, on the East Coast, and just a short flight away from his hometown in New York.

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Also, he probably wasn't ever going to sign with Calgary.

He's an American kid from the East Coast, and while he never stated it outright and publicly, it was heavily rumoured that his reps had made it clear to Calgary management that Fox wasn't willing to play for the Flames, and would just go the college free agency route if they held onto his rights.

Canes seem pretty sure they can get him signed. Puts him on an American team, on the East Coast, and just a short flight away from his hometown in New York.

Yeah I was also gonna bring up signability was probably an issue as well. Which is why he was probably included in the Lindholm and Hanifin deal.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:37 PM, R.Dahlin26 said:

With Rathbone, I can see with some development time some elite qualities in his game. Love how he wants to be the main guy and rush the puck up the ice. Not only does he have the potential to play a highly effective game but also an exciting playstyle.

I love my d-men to be elite skaters with an offensive flair to their game.

Rathbone might take 2-3 years but I see his ceiling higher than Juolevi's and in 2-3 years it won't surprise me if he is held in higher regard.

Still, stand by this. Rathbone is a better prospect and will be a better player than Juolevi.

IMO our 2nd best D-man prospect. Great start for Rathbone hope he keeps it up.

3 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

I'm not sure how it works with NCAA schedules and divisions and such... Will Rathbone and Harvard face Hughes/Lockwood and the Wolverines some time this season? 

Looking at both teams schedules it doesn't look like it unless they meet in Frozen Four play (or possibly in some other tournament I'm unaware of).

https://mgoblue.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=485

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2018-19/schedule

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Still, stand by this. Rathbone is a better prospect and will be a better player than Juolevi.

IMO our 2nd best D-man prospect. Great start for Rathbone hope he keeps it up.

that would be great, we'd have an outstanding young d core with Hughes, OJ, Rathbone all with potential top line pairing abilities with Stecher, and then maybe Woo if he continues to develop. Jim needs to do some more drafting on RHD tho. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be great, we'd have an outstanding young d core with Hughes, OJ, Rathbone all with potential top line pairing abilities with Stecher, and then maybe Woo if he continues to develop. Jim needs to do some more drafting on RHD tho. 

If we signed Tyler Myers that might bring some size and grit on the right side and take some pressure off jim for drafting defence man. Also it allows us to trade Tanev and or Edler 

Next Season

Hughes Myers 

Juolevi Stetcher 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Pouliot Chatfield 

Playing Myers with an elite skater/puck mover like Q. Hughes will allow him to play a better game in my opinion. Hutton and Gudbranson seem like a decent bottom pairing who can be physical when needed.  Juolevi will surprise a lot of people. He is deceptively smart. He will be like a more offensive version of Alex Edler in my opinion. Steady guy who has a long NHL career. Never the star player but always a solid reliable above average player who gets the job done. 

In a few years i think Rathbone and Woo could take over for Hutton and Gudbranson. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

If we signed Tyler Myers that might bring some size and grit on the right side and take some pressure off jim for drafting defence man. Also it allows us to trade Tanev and or Edler 

Next Season

Hughes Myers 

Juolevi Stetcher 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Pouliot Chatfield 

Playing Myers with an elite skater/puck mover like Q. Hughes will allow him to play a better game in my opinion. Hutton and Gudbranson seem like a decent bottom pairing who can be physical when needed.  Juolevi will surprise a lot of people. He is deceptively smart. He will be like a more offensive version of Alex Edler in my opinion. Steady guy who has a long NHL career. Never the star player but always a solid reliable above average player who gets the job done. 

In a few years i think Rathbone and Woo could take over for Hutton and Gudbranson. 

Myers is getting to that point where he may really slow down soon. If we wish to compete for a cup it needs to be with young fast talent. Trade the vets and just keep drafting with an emphasis on the right side of defence as we are loaded up on the left. Looking at prospects we are so light on the right side but have a couple that may surprise.

Hughes- Woo                                               

Juolevi- Chatfield

Rathbone- Brassard

Brisebois- Tryamkin?

Utunen

Gunnarsson

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

i looked for an updated height and weight, couldn’t find one is he still 5.10 180

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, and that's been listed since the summer.

Also, Rathbone confirmed that same height and weight during a radio interview at prospects camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's added even more, as he worked really hard in the gym over the offseason, trains throughout the season, and has a reputation as a bit of a gym rat.

I think Jack will probably play at around Yannick Weber size (5'11, 200-205 lbs) when he turns pro.

• Cheers 1