The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well up there with your normal insight DUC - and I have to say not in a good way.

There's probably a guy in a cave, in a 3rd world country somewhere that knows Rathbone is a long term project/lottery ticket.

Like, thanks for the insight eh? :lol:

• Upvote 3

We need to think of him like Bieksa, 4 years of college, maybe 2 more in the AHL, unless he has a growth spurt and massive breakout second year. Even then thats 3 years away. Seems like a quality risk tho and given his relationship with Demko maybe a bit more likely to sign earlier if things are going really well all around. 

While I completely respect his decision to remain at home and stay in the high school league, I'm not sure this will help his development and would theoretically hinder it. It definitely shows his commitment to family and he has a good head on his shoulders so I'm hoping that will help him but not looking good from a draft pick already considered a long-shot to make the NHL.

Question for everyone, with Rathbone going back to highschool this year, would he be eligible to play in the prospects tourney since his season won't start in high school until later? I assume he would need to pay his own way, but I think he could do so. Alternatively will he play in the USHL at the start of the year similar to Middlestadt this past year? 

Im not going to pretend that i know anything about this player other then hes a "offensive defenceman" but i feel like the 4th round is where there were some pretty good pick ups that we missed out on. I think Ostap Safin, Popugaev (good risk at this point) and Adam Ruzicka would have been better value picks. Although, we would have been low on defensive picks at that point

Ben Kuzma: Canucks’ Rathbone finds inspiration to excel in bond with autistic brother

BEN KUZMA
More from Ben Kuzma
Published: July 5, 2017
Updated: July 5, 2017 9:39 PM PDT
Filed Under:
The Province Sports Hockey Vancouver Canucks

Fourth-round 2017 pick packs maturity and passion

There’s the player and then there’s the person.
The Vancouver Canucks know they may have a future puck-moving defenceman in the fleet-footed Jack Rathbone, their fourth-round pick in the 2017 entry draft.

But the National Hockey League club didn’t really know how his character and compassion extends from the hockey rink to the home front.

Rathbone’s eight-year-old brother, Teddy, was diagnosed with autism at an early age and the two are inseparable. Rathbone is returning to play the majority of next season at Dexter School in Brookline, Mass., to complete his senior high school year before graduating to Harvard for the 2018-19 season.

Rathbone could have played for the Youngstown (Ohio) Phantoms of the United States Hockey League, but staying home will allow the blue-liner to keep building a beautiful bond with his brother. Teddy has made incredible progress through speech therapy in an integrated classroom setting, and Jack couldn’t imagine being away from him for seven months.

During the development camp, they’ve stayed in touch through FaceTime.
“He’s a major piece of my life and means the world to me,” Rathbone said Wednesday following a development camp session at UBC.

“He gives you a new perspective on how hockey and being an athlete and chasing a dream to be in the NHL is such a privilege. You can’t take any day for granted and you have to push yourself.

“He’s one of the reasons I push myself every day.”

Not every day is great for Teddy. There is always the possibility of a seizure or some other challenge or discomfort and Jack has been there every step of the way to show a maturity well beyond his 18 years.

“I’ve been there through his good days and his bad days and his triumphs,” said Rathbone. “But, honestly, it’s just his personality and how he perseveres through any kind of adversity. And when he has a down day, he comes back the next with the same smile and personality.

“That constant upbeat personality is what I admire the most and what I try to take into life and hockey. He always greets you with a smile and a big hug at the door. If I’ve had a bad day, it’s gone in a second. It’s a different relationship and one that I don’t have with anybody else.

"It’s pretty cool.”

Harvard coach Ted Donato believes Rathbone’s regard for those around him will give the 5-10, 177-pound defenceman a leg up when he takes the next development steps. That includes playing midget hockey until the high school season starts in November and then possibly once again for Youngstown

He comes from a great family, great upbringing and I never have to worry about pushing him,” Donato told the Boston Herald.
“And with his relationship with his younger brother, I think it gives him this compassion and patience that makes him a great leader.”

Rathbone’s friend, Ryan Donato, is the son of the Harvard coach and took the same development route three years ago, so Rathbone was sold long ago on playing for the Crimson. Amassing 16 goals and 19 assists in 22 high school games last season to go with being captain of a Midget 1 state championship team and playing four USHL games didn’t hurt his college stock.

Donato played 796 NHL games with the Boston Bruins, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues and the New York Rangers. The winger compiled 150 goals and 197 assists and his dozen years at the helm in Harvard have helped bring the program back to prominence.

“I’m going to love playing for Ted for a few years with his knowledge and being able to pick his brain of what it takes to get to the next level,” said Rathbone. “I wanted that option and will take advantage of it. I had a couple of other options, but I wanted to play for Teddy and his staff. He’s a guy you want to go to war for.”

In the interim, Rathbone is no different than any other prospect.

There are areas of his game that need improving — especially gaining strength — but he showed an effortless stride Wednesday in a scrimmage. It only helped the West Roxbury, Mass., native take a level of confidence into the Summer Showdown scrimmage before season-ticket holders Thursday night at Rogers Arena.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-canucks-rathbone-finds-inspiration-to-excel-in-bond-with-autistic-brother?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Ben Kuzma: Canucks’ Rathbone finds inspiration to excel in bond with autistic brother

BEN KUZMA
More from Ben Kuzma
Published: July 5, 2017
Updated: July 5, 2017 9:39 PM PDT
Filed Under:
The Province Sports Hockey Vancouver Canucks

Fourth-round 2017 pick packs maturity and passion

There’s the player and then there’s the person.
The Vancouver Canucks know they may have a future puck-moving defenceman in the fleet-footed Jack Rathbone, their fourth-round pick in the 2017 entry draft.

But the National Hockey League club didn’t really know how his character and compassion extends from the hockey rink to the home front.

Rathbone’s eight-year-old brother, Teddy, was diagnosed with autism at an early age and the two are inseparable. Rathbone is returning to play the majority of next season at Dexter School in Brookline, Mass., to complete his senior high school year before graduating to Harvard for the 2018-19 season.

Rathbone could have played for the Youngstown (Ohio) Phantoms of the United States Hockey League, but staying home will allow the blue-liner to keep building a beautiful bond with his brother. Teddy has made incredible progress through speech therapy in an integrated classroom setting, and Jack couldn’t imagine being away from him for seven months.

During the development camp, they’ve stayed in touch through FaceTime.
“He’s a major piece of my life and means the world to me,” Rathbone said Wednesday following a development camp session at UBC.

“He gives you a new perspective on how hockey and being an athlete and chasing a dream to be in the NHL is such a privilege. You can’t take any day for granted and you have to push yourself.

“He’s one of the reasons I push myself every day.”

Not every day is great for Teddy. There is always the possibility of a seizure or some other challenge or discomfort and Jack has been there every step of the way to show a maturity well beyond his 18 years.

“I’ve been there through his good days and his bad days and his triumphs,” said Rathbone. “But, honestly, it’s just his personality and how he perseveres through any kind of adversity. And when he has a down day, he comes back the next with the same smile and personality.

“That constant upbeat personality is what I admire the most and what I try to take into life and hockey. He always greets you with a smile and a big hug at the door. If I’ve had a bad day, it’s gone in a second. It’s a different relationship and one that I don’t have with anybody else.

"It’s pretty cool.”

Harvard coach Ted Donato believes Rathbone’s regard for those around him will give the 5-10, 177-pound defenceman a leg up when he takes the next development steps. That includes playing midget hockey until the high school season starts in November and then possibly once again for Youngstown

He comes from a great family, great upbringing and I never have to worry about pushing him,” Donato told the Boston Herald.
“And with his relationship with his younger brother, I think it gives him this compassion and patience that makes him a great leader.”

Rathbone’s friend, Ryan Donato, is the son of the Harvard coach and took the same development route three years ago, so Rathbone was sold long ago on playing for the Crimson. Amassing 16 goals and 19 assists in 22 high school games last season to go with being captain of a Midget 1 state championship team and playing four USHL games didn’t hurt his college stock.

Donato played 796 NHL games with the Boston Bruins, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues and the New York Rangers. The winger compiled 150 goals and 197 assists and his dozen years at the helm in Harvard have helped bring the program back to prominence.

“I’m going to love playing for Ted for a few years with his knowledge and being able to pick his brain of what it takes to get to the next level,” said Rathbone. “I wanted that option and will take advantage of it. I had a couple of other options, but I wanted to play for Teddy and his staff. He’s a guy you want to go to war for.”

In the interim, Rathbone is no different than any other prospect.

There are areas of his game that need improving — especially gaining strength — but he showed an effortless stride Wednesday in a scrimmage. It only helped the West Roxbury, Mass., native take a level of confidence into the Summer Showdown scrimmage before season-ticket holders Thursday night at Rogers Arena.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-canucks-rathbone-finds-inspiration-to-excel-in-bond-with-autistic-brother?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm going to guess that, should he prove worthy of a contract down the line, all the work the canucks do in the community, and particularly the canucks autism network, will make it easy to convince him to out pen to paper. 

• Upvote 2

A slightly smaller frame guy on D who can really skate, has a hard shot, and plays with intensity.  Rathbone seems to profile like a young Duncan Keith, except that Keith went undrafted in his first year of eligibility. 

I feel like Rathbone has the potential to be the pick that elevates this draft class for the Canucks even though he is years away.

Seems like he has tools that would have made him an earlier pick, but being undersized and electing to play another year of high school for family reasons probably moved him down some draft boards.  Judd Bracket, the Canucks director of amateur scouting, had coached Rathbone on some youth teams so there was some personal knowledge of this player that I think led to the pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chucks said:

Duncan Keith is 6'1" and almost 200lbs.

Rathbone is more of a Tyson Barrie in my mind. 

Very exciting prospect nonetheless. We need dynamic skating on the back end.

Brian Rafalski?

1 hour ago, Chucks said:

Duncan Keith is 6'1" and almost 200lbs.

Rathbone is more of a Tyson Barrie in my mind. 

Very exciting prospect nonetheless. We need dynamic skating on the back end.

When Keith was drafted at 18 years old in his 2nd year of eligibility he was listed at 168lbs and 5'11.  He was passed over in the draft as 17 year old because he was small.

Rathbone's father is listed as playing at 6'0 and 200lbs, so there are indications Jack could be that size by the time he matures fully.

Add in that Rathbone scored very high on several fitness tests at the NHL combine, and I see some parallels to a Keith who is a legend for fitness.

I like Barrie too, so if he is more Tyson Barrie that's fine as well.

I get to see Rathbone and the other prospects tonight and can report back who he is more like ::D