The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

31 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

CapFriendly shows his 'sign by' date as 15th Aug. 2022.

Personally think we should ink this kid as soon as we can.  Get him developing in our system etc.  Would be cool to have Hughes in the NHL next year and Jack mirroring the systems down in Utica   

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

Personally think we should ink this kid as soon as we can.  Get him developing in our system etc.  Would be cool to have Hughes in the NHL next year and Jack mirroring the systems down in Utica   

I don't think you can sign a kid still in College.  That is why if you don't want to play on the team that drafted you, You only have to finish school and wait for graduation and then sign with whoever you want.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I don't think you can sign a kid still in College.  That is why if you don't want to play on the team that drafted you, You only have to finish school and wait for graduation and then sign with whoever you want.

you can't. He has to leave the NCAA system first to be signed. 

FWIW Rathbone has said on many occasions he wants to turn pro sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

PITB feature on Rathbone:

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-prospect-jack-rathbone-is-making-a-statement-in-his-freshman-season-at-harvard-1.23498118

Too long to cut’n’paste the whole thing, and Daniel deserves the page views anyway for putting together a great article. Worth checking out. Lots of good video for those who haven’t had the chance to watch Rathbone.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 11/11/2018 at 8:58 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Depends how he progresses this year, but I'd expect him to spend two there before signing.  Almost certain to end up in Utica first, but never know how they could blossom and how quickly.  His growth spurt this last year while maintaining his speed and mobility have been a real positive.

I have been following this kid since the just before his draft year, when all the pundits would reveal their who to watch for etc. Boner at that time was listed as a possible top 10 pick. some had him even top 5. But they all said. Scouts don't like the HS circuit he plays in. If he wants to be in that mix He would have to go the route Brock took or Quinn took. He wanted to finish with his HS Kind of like a Dahlen situation. Maybe he thought, in the end, it would pan out for him. Well, it didn't for him. But sure as hell did for us.

Guys like him and JR Adam fox play in a weaker div then Quinn so he should rack up the points. I think Adam has 15 in 7 games. But he didn't start as a freshman doing what Jack has done so far.

He has stated 3 times that I have seen. Said That if the Canucks think he is ready after this year his goal is to turn pro asap. Harvard isn't going to be winning the frozen4 anytime soon. and this is just my own thought. But maybe that played into his decision to go there?  I could be wrong but I think he had offers in the big ten. Plus other better schools. 

Again this is just my thought but maybe Jack maybe even Adam chose those Schools knowing they would get a ton of playing time. In Adams case He flat out said. If he played for the Lames he would have spent a lot of time in the AHL. Sadly he got traded to a team in the same position. Jack needs to get this guy to come here lol. it would be an easy sell. Besides Woo. We have nothing coming on the right side. This year draft top is heavy on LHD. Right now the highest rated RHD is Honkas Brother. Who on most websites is the highest I saw was 14th.The other sites he was anywhere from 26th to 42nd

With Edler OJ, Hughes, Rathbone Breeze. Yes after Edler basically said its Vancouver or retirement, and the fact we need a vet to go with these kidsandI think he is still our best DA I'm pretty sure depending on where we are at the TDL. He does JB a huge favor and waives on the promise he is resigned. Every player knows JB is all about character. a handshake from him is not like one from Doogie. 

I think Tram can kiss for sure being top 2 maybe even top 4 goodbye. Maybe Fox looks at our Right side and is like I could probably jump right in. Informs the Canes he plans on not signing with them, and Maybe Jack lets it slip to JB a little inside info lol. and we trade trams rights for foxes rights. Or we go after EK65 hard in the summer. and go after fox after he graduates.  people who don't follow prospects.  Have no clue how good this kid might be. Just makes that trade even more lopsided Abetter version of Hanafin who shoots right. Better if he continues on this trajectory. Man what a terrible trade.Right now if we had the chance. Would you trade Trams rights for Foxes rights maybe the canes have to pony up a bit more? Cheers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/18/2018 at 8:00 AM, vannuck59 said:

Fox will play for the Rangers that is his dream.

Haven't checked out the Rangers Right side. But I think he turns pro after this season. The kid just wants to play for a team where he can make an immediate impact.I don't see him playing his senior year. Risk a career-ending injury. When he can just tell the Canes he has no intention of signing their, Then the Canes can trade his rights over the summer to the highest bidder that meets his list of say 10  teams and basically they write it up that whoever gets him he has to sign for. He doesn't come across an A-hole. I think he just doesn't want to be like 9th on the depth chart kind of thing. With   the amount of LHD we have I would trade trans rights for his. Or Hutton Who is starting to get value plus whatever to balance out  Not sure if Guddy stay for the next 3 years or not But Jack is 6"3 195 only like 15, Woo is 6 feet over 200 pounds. Oj is 6 something well over 200. Plus all can skate. Tram is not needed like he was when he bolted. I hate those kinds of players.  Would much rather see a right side of  EK65 lol. Woo, Fox Left side. Quinn OJ Rathbone By this time Stech and Edler as spares

• Wat 2

Big game on an big stage tonight as Rathbone and Harvard take on #15 ranked Cornell at Madison Square Garden. 

Rathbone paired with Fox as the starting pairing on the ice for the opening faceoff at MSG.

Game is on ESPN+ and PPV via Strech Internet.

The free streams that I can find all seem to be broken, so won’t bother linking any of them (I’ll update if I find a working one).

On 11/11/2018 at 8:58 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Depends how he progresses this year, but I'd expect him to spend two there before signing.  Almost certain to end up in Utica first, but never know how they could blossom and how quickly.  His growth spurt this last year while maintaining his speed and mobility have been a real positive.

Yeah, I think you're right.

He'll probably sign in March 2020 and play a game or two. That'll be 3 years from when he was drafted. And then in the Fall of 2020, he'll probably make a run at a defense spot or get big minutes in Utica.

Given how well College Defensemen have blossomed in the Canucks system, I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the jump from NCAA to NHL with us... we've done it before with Hutton, Stecher, Hughes (most likely)... so there is that. Even Tanev got into 29 games straight from the NCAA in the 2010-2011 season (when we made our cup run). I think the extra workout time really benefits defensemen in the NCAA system.

But yeah, he's definitely a player and somebody who could be solid contributor in a few years time for the Canucks.